Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Re: 2008 Olympics -- Michael Phelps

Since this is dealing with sports, I'm going to send it over to Misc and they can decide what they want to do with it. :)

2. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

There's already an olympics thread here

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm going to move this to the Olympics thread already going.

4. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

I heard on the radio this morning about the scandal of the Opening Ceremony of the games
    Do you remember that cute 9 year old who sung?
    Well she wasn't really singing. She was used because the girl who was actually singing was too ugly to be put in front of a camera! It was because of her buck teeth! :eek::eek: I know unbelievable!!!
    The article is here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...l-over-girl-who-sang-in-opening-ceremony.html

5. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

That's just.. mean. I can't think of a better word for this. How would the looks of this little girl affect anything of the ceremony? If anything, it would have given more authenticity to the show.

Belgium just beat New Zealand in football and now we're through to the quarterfinals. Who would've ever thought? :guffaw:

6. CSISneaky

CSISneaky Police Officer

:lol: That had me in stitches, but seriously though that's pretty harsh.

By the way anyone following the womens gymnastics? I know I'm from the UK but I am gutted the USA got only silver. (Poor Alicia Sacramone :( btw) I was rooting for them because Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin are just brilliant and awesome to watch. Will be interesting to see them in the individual events.

Can't wait for the track and field events to start as well :)

7. CCA

CCA Police Officer

I was rooting for USA of course and would have been happy for us if we had won but I have to say I was actually rooting for the Chiana team as well, only because, it's in their own country and they said they never won before in the woman's. They truly deserved it they did a beautiful job, truly did.

As for Michael Phelps..I love what he has done and truly he is one gifted guy and HE WENT TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN BOOO YEAH sorry I just beamed when they said that about thirty times last night in a row!

8. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

I've been following the gymnastics too, for some reason the American team fascinates me, but I wasn't surprised they got the silver. I don't know what was up with them on Floor Ex, but compared to the Chinese, it was definitely worthy of silver and silver only.

But, there's still the all-around to look forward to. Shawn should have that one in the bag. ;)

Regarding the issue of whether the Chinese girls are old enough: yeah, a lot of gymnasts are tiny and so they don't look as old as they are, but I think the problem here is that these girls are said to be sixteen based on their passports, which are issued by the government. And we all know what China's government is like. It's not totally ludicrous to say that they could forge the records so the girls can compete. But I guess we'll truly never know because if they aren't old enough, there's no way the Chinese are going to admit that, and no one will be satisfied that they are old enough until that can be done.

That 4x100 medley really was intense, and I was surprised Phelps didn't anchor that one. You've gotta really trust your team to do something like that. He's at...what? 11 medals now? Impressive.

9. IreneAdler76

IreneAdler76 Hit and Run

I've taught school in the past, and unfortunately, these Chinese gymnasts don't even resemble the kids I taught. In fact they remind me more of 5th and 4th graders. It's simply NOT their height and faces (which look young as well) but their bodies that may indicate that these girls are MUCH younger than said to be. I believe that I heard someone on the news say that one Chinese girl weighed 63 lbs! At age 16 to boot! Even the Romanians, Russians and Americans look more like one another in face maturity and body structure.

10. Little_Peaches

Little_Peaches Police Officer

There's always gonna be scandals around these sort of things. I'm just picturing London in four years. Me, I'm gonna be right next to the pool. :D

The one thing that is fantastic about it is how uniting it is. Yes there are accusations of cheating, underage girls etc but on the whole it seems like lots of people I have spoken to home and online seem to have more than their own country onside. Me, I'm routing for GB (obv), the USA male swim team. Even more so after that spectacular win over France in the relay. Beautiful. :D The Ozzies' synchronised diving.

I think there is the possibility of my staying up till 3 to scream at the TV since I'm not working tomorrow. Woo!

Yes, Michael Phelps is beyond hot but to be fair - all those men deserve to be recognised for their individual talents teehee! x

11. Gravity

Gravity Witness

For a small country we are doing very well if I may say so: 1 gold, 1 silver and 4 bronze. Swimming gold, the rest all Judo medals.

12. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

I am so happy right now.....James Blake of the US just beat Roger Federer in tennis at the games! I was watching it online live and holy cow! James was 0 for 8 against Federer until this.

13. Gravity

Gravity Witness

Ome more silver added: Dutch Equestrian Dressage team :)

14. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I was so shocked at that, Roger isn't having a very good time at the moment! Blake played well though.

I cant wait for the athletics to start, tomorrow i think it is :D

15. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Oh we have two medals as well! Both from shooting (people really don't recognise the sport even we have lots of shooters and got lots of medals from it) One gold so I guess these olympics are saved already. Our best swimmer did well too, she was 4th in 200m freestyle.

Our judoteam sucked, same did our only wrestler (which is strange, because we have lots of them usually)

I've been watching mostly swimming, some basketball and beach volley. Of course now best days started because Athletics has begun :D Too bad our guy in 3000m steeple chase injured himself a week ago :(

Did anyone see weight lifting where that young hungarian dislocated his elbow? So horrible :(