Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

^ i saw the race. Torres, Nadal and now Sanchez ... boy, Spain rules this year. ;)

i can't wait for the men's diving competition (yummy) but right now i'm watching swimming. those guys are so much faster than 4 years ago, it's unbelievable.

2. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I watched the Opening Cerimonies last night.
    I haven't watched any competitions yet but I wanted to say...

Those ceremonies were beautiful, spectacular and breathtaking. My question is I wonder how much $$$ it cost China to put that on? Not only to build a new Stadium (which I'm still torn on whether I like it or not :rolleyes: ) and all the pagentry of the ceremonies.

3. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I heard there's been a tragedy on day one of the games. I wasn't really paying attention to the television when they were talking about it, but it was something involving the head coach of the men's either beach of floor volleyball team. Relatives of his... be it his father or father-in-law and mother or mother-in-law, were attacked and by a Chinese man. I thought they said the male US citizen died as a result and the local ended up committing suicide. Horrible to hear happen on what is suppose to be a uniting of nations etc with regards to these games...my heart goes out to those directly effected by this.

4. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I heard that on the news too, DJ. So sad that this had to happen to anyone, let alone a coach's family simply visiting a place that they might have never seen otherwise.

I've seen Women's indoor and beach volleyball and right now the men's cycle race is on. They just showed the course and it's absoluetly crazy! 7 different elevations will be hit...hope they are ready.

Not to mention the air quality....China is famous for fireworks but I don't know if setting off that many would help the case that they are cleaning up the air. Reports have stated that many factories have been closed and only so many cars are allowed on the road per day. I wonder how much these game effect people who need the business and factory work to survive.

5. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Love the olympics - would love in even more if they included squash.

But how bad is the British Team, our boxer can't even get through the weigh-in?

6. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I watched opening ceremonry (our broadcasting company was in charge there! I mean, it was their responsibility, all cameras and such!)

Since beachvolley starts at 4am my time, haven't had time to watch it. It's wonderful sport :D

So I've seen some swimming and shooting and try to watch men's basketbal China-USA today.

7. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

I loved the Opening Ceremony! Very well done

At the moment I am watching The womans cycle road race!! :thumbsup:
    I am very proud of our Kiwi rowers which most of them won their heats! Good on them

8. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I watched the last 10K and thought it was great :D On the last corner our British leader dropped to about 5th but them came back to win in :D

9. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Change of subject, but headlines read Bela Karolyi (gymnastics coach) complains about underage Chinese gymnasts. He says some of China's gymnasts can't possibly be the requisite 15 or 16. I find a certain amount of humor in this considering he was Romania's gymnastic coach when Nadia Comenici, who looked about eight years old, competed for them! How does he know they're not just other Nadias? The rule is in place, IMO, to control coaches like Karolyi, who never had a problem telling his slender athletes they were fat or encouraging youngsters to continue competing while injured.

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I agree with the rule being in place so people can't judge someone because of how they look. I don't look a thing like my age in fact I look younger, which can be a blessing and a curse.

The announcers have been discussing the fact that why would a team go with someone under the age of 16 when they could go with someone more experienced. This makes a very valid point as not everyone looks or acts their age. They start the girls out at 3 with choosing and just because they are not as tall as other gymnasts (the Chinese are a relatively short culture to begin with) does not mean that they don't meet the requirements. Besides as the host country I don't think that China would risk anything after already facing the eminence problem of cleaning the air.

11. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

So what is the minimum age for an athlete for the Olympics? I was watching one of the womens heats in swimming last night and I could have swore I heard the announcers talking about the Chinese entry at the young age of only 14. So speaking of age, wouldn't you think that is a little young for someone to compete as such a competitive stage?

12. Exit 8A

Exit 8A Pathologist

I think that the minimum age is dependant on the sport. I think it is 16 for gymnastics, I don't know if there is an age limit in other sports (I remember there being an 11 year old swimmer, if I can recall).

Speaking of swimming, wow, did anyone see the 4x100 Free Relay? I can't believe the US actually pulled that one off, the French were almost a body length ahead of him at the turn, and to come back at the last second? Wow.

13. Little_Peaches

Little_Peaches Police Officer

I haven't seen the Free Relay yet, it was shown at 1am our time (UK) I do have a soft spot for the US team (thank you, Megan :D).

I am however, currently shouting at the laptop telling Andy Murray to get his act together.

Not tempting fate but he seems to be getting there. This set has me biting my nails. No he's being rubbish. Bless he looks exhausted, I'm hoping he can pull it together with Jamie for doubles.

14. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

The swim finals are shown live on the BBC in the UK between 03:00 - 05:00 in the AM BST. They are taking places from 10:00 to 12:00 (7hours ahead of the UK) in the morning live in Bejing. This is soley for NBC to show Micharl Phelps in his quest for 8 gold medals in prime time in the USA. If my calculations are correct that would be 10pm on the East Coast back to 7pm on the West.

As much as it is a pain as I am I taken a keen intrest in swimming there is nothing anyone else can do about it. NBC pay for it and they have to most money soo....

I got myself up this morning to watch the finals. The 4x100 medley was something else. I am please the USA won - how they did it I still can't get my head round. For me though it ws Gemma Addlington touching out Katie Hoff in the 400m Freestyle COME ON THE BRITS First gold in the pool since Adrian Moorhouse in 1986.

I'm bloody shattered now from being up since 3am and then going to work at 7am but the Olympics only come around once every 4 years and apparently Gold medals for Britain in the pool come around every 20 haha. Although I think Addlington will win another gold in the 800m Free aswell.

Although I'm pleased to see that the major athletic finals will be in the evening in Beijing which means in the afternoon over here and unfortunately its an early morning job for the Americans wanting to see your 100m sprinters cheat err sorrry win their way to a medal haha.

Oh and we have a 14 year old competing in these games. Tom Daley in the Diving.

15. IreneAdler76

IreneAdler76 Hit and Run

2008 Olympics -- Michael Phelps

Hi all!

Has anyone been following men's swimming? Usually, I'm not into the summer games; however, 4 years ago I watched American swimmer Michael Phelps at Athens and became a "swinfan" if you will and had to tune in to the current games to watch this extrordinary athlete again. And, he is surely making his mark. Yesterday, he tied the Olympic record for most medals earn; tonight he sets out to break the record! Exciting stuff!

And, for any of you fans who missed the amzing and inspiring American win over the French in the relay the other night, here is the link. I didn't think Phelps could have a hotter torso than in Athens BUT he does!! Check out the link below to see photos and video -- and see the man's primal scream just following the conclusion of the last 50 meters as bested by J. Lezak!!!!! The primal scream was just hot!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=188791.html#lezak+storms+back+u+s+wins+relay