Help! A puzzle for CSI fans.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by hendo1769, Aug 9, 2008.

1. hendo1769

hendo1769 Victim

Hey there,

I'm working on a paper on CSI and have hit a road block. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. I'm trying to locate this photo in an episode:

[​IMG]

Here's what I know so far:

-This picture comes from somewhere in season 7 or possibly early season 8. The photo was posted on imdb on October 2, 2007, which was after season 7 ended (5/27) and right before the season came out on DVD (10/14). I would be surprised if this were from Season 8, though, since the miniature killer was pretty much wrapped up after the first episode (or, I guess, so we thought... Dun dun Duuuuu).

-Penny Garden's miniature is in this shot, so that places this sometime after Post Mortem.

-Grissom has no beard. Of the other main Miniature Killer episodes in this time frame (Post Mortem, Loco Motives, Monster in the Box, Living Doll, Dead Doll), Grissom has a beard in Monster in the Box, but no others (I think)

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. This is driving me nuts!

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm 99.999% sure the scene is from Leaving Las Vegas season 7. This is when Billy Petersen was off for 4 weeks to do his play. The scene is when Grissom is telling Warrick that to watch out for things in the Lab.

3. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Since the miniatures are in the plastic cases, as a guess, I'd say it's possibly from Leaving Las Vegas. I believe Grissom was talking to Warrick while he was putting them in the plastic cases.

Susan

ETA: Great minds think alike Jacquie.:lol:

4. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I wanna say that one's after Loco Motives. They had thought they'd wrapped the case, but didn't. I would say it might be Leaving Las Vegas, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

5. WornSouls

WornSouls Witness

Definitely "Leaving Las Vegas", it's just after Nick and Cath find the bullet under the table and bench. Grissom is putting the miniatures in the glass/plastic boxes, and Warrick walks in.

6. hendo1769

hendo1769 Victim

Very cool. Thanks for the quick replies. I'm downloading Leaving Las Vegas now and I'll post once I can confirm.

7. WornSouls

WornSouls Witness

8. hendo1769

hendo1769 Victim

Bingo! 14:00 in. Thanks for all of your help, everyone. Here's the screen grab from the show:

[​IMG]

Just in case anyone is interested or has any thoughts, I'm writing my paper on the use of color, specifically red and blue, in the show. What I was doing here was comparing the publicity still, and its coloration, to what wound up here in the final product. They do a lot of post-production editing to make sure the show winds up with the right "look."

I set up a Flickr set on this topic for my professor using screen grabs from the show to illustrate my early thoughts on this topic. Since you guys are so into the show, I would love to hear what you have to say about this stuff, if you have a minute. Here's a link to the set.

Specifically, do you ever think about how color is used in the show? Do you think certain things or feel certain ways when you see red or blue in the show, maybe without realizing it? Overall, how would you describe the show's "look"?

I really appreciate all of your help so far!
    -Andy

Link: http://flickr.com/photos/andyhenderson/sets/72157605383296573/

9. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Since the question has been answered, I would normally lock it, but you are getting into an art style conversation, and therefore I will put it in that forum, and it will be up to the mods to go with or lock it.

10. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

That specific photo happens to be a promotional photo from Season 7. Here it is in HQ:

[​IMG]

11. hendo1769

hendo1769 Victim

Shane,

Thanks for the head's up. Do you have a link by chance to the rest of the promo shots from that season? I can only find LQ versions on imdb.

Thanks!

12. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Yeah. You might want to visit my site, Modern Day Gallery. There's tons of promotional images from all 3 CSI shows.

13. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

As you're interested in the color of the show, maybe it'll be interesting for you the different use of color in the franchise or how they used a blue filter in the first season of CSI: NY and then got rid of it changing the color drastically.

14. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

Well the way I see it colour - and the background is not only for the viewer to see- but its a psychological thing as well.

All CSI shows have different backgrounds to represent the "feel" of each show.

CSI LasVegas- its a darker set- to reflect how human mind works and how dark a person can get. Its Sin city after all, and the colours are ment to represent what sin would look like.

NewYork- is lighter, but with a twang in it. New York is more in your face- gritter- more street wise than Las Vegas. Silver I think is the colour- this represents a change. Transformation.

Miami- They use yellow as the background to reflect how the miami sunse/sunrise, and the life care free lifestyle of the people that live there. Also the show is centered around the Day shift i believe.

In a short interview, Anthony Zuiker said that each show is about different. Theres the link.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/TV--Radio/Natural-order/2005/04/02/1112302288342.html

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  15. hendo1769

hendo1769 Victim

Thanks for the head's up. I think that's a really good suggestion, and they talk about that change a little bit in the great interview Candygirl1uk posted.