Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Beijing Olympic Games August 8-24, 2008.
    Official website.

To talk about your favourites sports, sportsmen, sportswomen and everything related with the Beijing Olympic Games.

2. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

Thanks for posting the info :)
    I love the Olympic Games!!!
    And its only 18 days away until it starts! YAY! :thumbsup:

3. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

I don't think I'll be actively boycotting the Olympics but I'll probably neglect watching them (aside from kayaking- my uncle won gold and bronze for 1000-meter and 500-meter K2 respectively in Los Angeles, '84). Summer Olympics have never really interested me.

4. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I love Olympics. Summer, winter - it doesn't matter. Personally I can't wait for track and field, that's always my favourite.

Unluckily I didn't see all Golden League games so I'm not sure about form of few athletes. But I know that Tero Pitkämäki is in quite good condition, maybe Andreas Thorkildsen won't defend the title from Athens? I know nothing about Breaux Greer... maybe we'll see the same podium like from WC in Osaka? Tero, Andreas and Breaux? Who knows? (Oh, I said it here about javelin:D) Still not sure about American but in 100% Finn and Norwegian will be on the top... (maybe I don't know about some injuries? No, no, no, no injuries, right?) Sorry, my Olympics mood just switched on;)

Oh, and I want next 100 meters record. Who will beat Bolt's record? Or he'll improve it?

5. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Cool,

My Auntie won a Silver Medal at the Los Angeles Games in 1984 aswell. 4x100 Womens Freestyle in swimming, Also won an individual Bronze in the 200m Freestyle, then did the same again at the 88' Games in Souel, Korea.

I won't be boycotting the Olympics one bit. I love them. I've watched them for as long as I can remember. I'm not impressed with the 8 hour time difference though. It will be like the Sydney Games all over again. All the action in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning. Roll on 2012 I say.

I never miss the Athletics & Swimming despite our nation being pretty dire at both lol. Not really expecting a Gold medal from either. Maybe a chance in the Triple Jump.

6. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Greer is injured and won't be in olympics. Tero P has some troubles with technique, I wonder how our other Tero (Järvenpää) does. I hope well. 3rd Finnish thrower, Teemu Wirkkala. I know him personally and I really hope he'll do well. There' sbeen lots of writing about him and that he was chosen but I really really hope he does well. I believe Makarov is tough one and who knows about the aussie (Bannister)

Another big talk here has been sailing. Woman, who just won Europan Championship was left out and one promising, 17-year-old girl was chosen. Shitty way to choose, because this woman (who won EC) could be one of our best chance to win medal in olympics.

I love sports. I just love it and will be wonderful to watch those again.

And as for relatives... my cousin won bronze in weight lifting in LA '84.

7. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Canada announced their flag bearer for the opening ceremonies yesterday. The flag bearer is kayaker Adam van Koeverden. He's from Oakville Ontario. He won 2 of Canada's 12 medals in 2004.

I don't follow the Olympics that much but I do take pride in how well Canada does. Unfortunately we don't win a lot of medals but even one can be better that some countries.

So I'll get out my [​IMG] when the Olympics are on and wave it even more proudly than I usually do :)

I know no one that has won a medal at any of the games. But I do live in the same town as one of the women who plays on our fabulous Canadian Woman's Hockey team. They've won a few medals :)

8. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

I'm definitely really excited as the Olympic Games are getting close. I love it! I got really interested back in 2004, where I didn't want to miss one second of it. I'll try to watch as many events as I can, which isn't goint to be that easy this year because of the 8 hours time difference.

My favourite sports/disciplines are gymnastics, diving, and athletics, particularly high jump, long jump, triple jump, pole vault and heptathlon and decathlon.

My favourite athlete has to be Sweden's Carolina Kluft. I'm a bit disappointed she will not defend her heptathlon title this year, because she's so good. But it's her choice, and she certainly knows what's better to her. So I'll be crossing my fingers for her on the triple jump, and also on the long jump, although the later puts her up against Portugal's Naide Gomes once again; I support both.

Also, I strongly support Canada's Alexandre Despatie on diving. I saw there were some doubts on wheter he would be competing due to a broken foot bone, but he seems to be ok. I hope it's this time he gets the gold medal.

And obviously, I am cheering for all the portuguese athletes, and particularly hopeful for Vanessa Fernandes(triathlon), Nelson Évora (triple jump), Telma Monteiro(judo) and Francis Obikwelu(100m/200m).

Ahh, I can't wait:D

9. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

being canadian i prefer the winter olympics, but the summer games are good too. I do think these games will be the worst in history. The Chinese have already imposed their law on foreign reporters, and if they continue doing this, it will look very bad around the world. Plus the pollution is terrible there! Not too mention all the protests...yikes, it will be messy.

10. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I'm not a big fan of the Olympics but I do like to watch the men's gymnastics, swimming and diving. My favorite gymnast no longer is there, I guess he got too old! The rowers are looking pretty hot this year! :drool:

11. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Hey guys :D Who watched the opening??

I thought those fireworks looked amazing but did you see the smoke at the end?!? And they sadi they were cleaning the air lol

12. Missing

Missing Pathologist

I was listening to the news this morning and how upset the people of Beijing were about the government trying to clean the air for foreign people and the Olympics but not for the citizens of the town who live there everyday....I find this is true of USA too, we seem to want to put in everything to other countries but neglect too do things here.

I really like the winter games the best, but I do enjoy gymnastics and diving.

13. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Last night on the Tom Kent radio show on an oldies station, he talked about the air quality in China just before playing "Air That I Breathe" by the Hollies.

14. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

He's a reeaaally nice guy, too, and just as good looking in person. Definitely bringing Kayaking into the spotlight, which is great,

15. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Oh, yayyyyy, my town guy Samuel Sánchez won the gold medal in one of my fav sports: cycling-men's road race, despite of the horrible heat and humidity. :D:D:D

[​IMG]

I hope I can catch any reruns later on the day of the men's gymnastics...:devil: