Question on the "Dective" title

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by CSI808, Jul 25, 2008.

1. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

I was thinking about it MacsLady, and was wondering if this was a flaw on the part of TPTB 'cause Hawkes is still called "Doctor" and he's a CSI.

2. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I think with Hawkes, it's different. He may not be the ME anymore, however, he still has his doctorate, which is something that is impossible to take away from you. Yeah, your licenses to perform surgery/do autopsies can expire, but your doctorate, once you become an MD or PhD, cannot be taken from you.

A license can be stripped for malpractice, but a PhD cannot, except for extreme academic dishonesty, IIRC.

3. AbbyD

AbbyD Dead on Arrival

That line about Flack only having a high school diploma always bugged me. It was an unnecessary put down to Flack. I don't know how things work in NYC, but at one time it was usual for people to go straight from high school to the Police Academy. Although, at least in large cities, it is becoming harder and harder to make detective grade without a university degree in criminology. However, Flack appears to be doing well in his career.

Someone mentioned that Stella had worked narcotics. In Hung out to Dry, didn't Danny say that he worked narcotics as well? He recognized the image of Hypnos because he busted a dealer who had used it.

Ummm. I'm going to split a hair with you on this one. I believe that Hawkes is called Doctor because of his status as an MD, not because he holds a PhD. He may or may not be a PhD as well, but I don't believe that we've ever learned that in the show. Although, he has been referenced as a genius at times.

However, we do know Hawkes spent 5 years working the ER and was also licensed to perform surgery. All prior to becoming an ME. As far as we know, he is still a licensed MD.

Generally, whenever someone holds the title of Doctor (either an MD or PhD) it is used in conjunction with any other title(s) they hold as a courtesy. Let's face it, both are damn hard to get, so who would want to give up the recognition?

4. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. MD is a term meaning that he holdds a Doctorate in Medicine (There are several different type of doctorates, PhD, MD, DVM, DO, JD, etc.)

It's a title that can't be stripped from you. Wheter or not Hawkes has his license as a surgeon is debatable, but I'd be willing to bet that he's still got his license as a pathologist/Medical Examiner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Medicine

Flack, I'm not sure. I'm sure he went to the Police Academy, perhaps right out of high school. I'm not sure if he was making that crack about only a high school diploma as a joke or what. Given all of the things he does (Hostage negotiation, Narcotics, etc,) I think he's got some sort of a degree. I have heard that job experience can qualify you...but, I think with the stuff he does, it's more.