What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

im reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. it's amazing! anybody and everybody who has the opportunity to read it, read it. you will not regret it! :)

2. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

I've just finished The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne.
    It's about the holocaust from the point of view of the 9 year old boy of the Auschwitz commander. Very touching story.

3. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I am back to reading my Ancient Rome books so I'm on Murder on the Appian Way by Steven Saylor. Love his books!

4. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Currently reading Star Wars: Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry. It bills itself as "The untold story of the ultimate weapon - created to annihilate worlds. . . and enslave a galaxy!". I may be a CSI fan but I'm a Star Wars fanatic. :lol: So-far-so-good. It all takes place between the third movie and the fourth movie. The only familiar names are Grand Moff Tarkin, Admiral Dalla, and of course Darth Vader. They've mentioned the Emperor but haven't had an appearance by him yet. It's all about finishing the construction and populating the Death Star so far.

Susan

5. AnJella

AnJella CSI Level One

I'm reading the CSI:NY novel - Four Walls for the third time:lol: and I'm also reading Praise Song by Jenny Robson. Awww I love it...very emotional!

6. Calihan

Calihan Captain

For school I had to read the Red Badge of Courage. I like the book except for the how tough it is to follow with the dialect they use and how detailed it is. When I read for a while I can follow it better and I liked it a lot. The mai9n character was interesting to learn about and interesting to understand his motives.

The Camel Club by David Baldacci. I though the plot was interesting. The characters were an odd mix which in this case worked out well. I didn't expect the end with Stone's and Gray's past. I thought the revelation about the woman came out of left field. I wish that he had used that as a back story for longer and made it work better.

The Pardon by James Grippando. For a legal thriller he's better than Grisham without a doubt. The plot of the pardon has been done to death. Had that been the entire book I wouldn't even think about him as an author again. However the framer's motivation made the book interesting and less cliche. I hope is later books are just as good.

7. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Blowback by Brad Thor. An excellent novel as all of his have been thus far. I loved the not so subtle jabs at Hillary Clinton. The plot was a standard action. I loved Scot's antagonist in the book the former USSS agent. All in all an enjoyable and somewhat frightening read.

The Informant by James Grippando. Another great book of his, this book proves he can go beyond legal fiction into more of an action fiction. Good character's and great character interaction seemed more real to me than other author's characters interactions.

8. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I'm starting Catcher In The Rye. I've yet to start but my friends said its so weird that you can't put it down, I'm excited to start it :)

9. AnJella

AnJella CSI Level One

I'm reading 'Twilight' by Stephenie Meyer. :thumbsup:

10. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Please include more comments about the books you're reading. Just saying the title and author doesn't give other members an idea of what the book may be about. It would would like to see a minimum of 3 lines of text when posting. Thanks :)

11. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I've read Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn. Finally Kennedy plays a much more major role in these books. The new President I like quite a bit Mitch and him seem to understand each other more than Mitch and Hayes did. I can't wait to see if there are any repercussions from this book that carry over. A great novel comparable to his earlier books.

The Abduction by James Grippando. I loved this book because it hit the right balance of character drama mixed with action and political sleaze. It was one of the books where you could feel sympathetic for almost all of the characters. I'm glad that he ended the book with revealing who won the election.

The Quiet Game by Greg Iles. Great novel about racial prejudice that still exists. I was actually surprised at the end. Interesting cast of characters. A novel I thoroughly enjoyed.

12. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

I'm currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Also author of The Zombie Survival Guide which you've probably heard of). Anyways it's pretty much a whole bunch of different people who survived the Zombie apocalypse talking about what happened right before, during, and after it. I am actually surprised how good the book is. I mean, I had only heard and read good things about it but still, I really wasn't expecting it to be this well written.

13. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Murder in the White House by Margaret Truman. A great murder mystery with a very surprising ending. The characters were pretty uninteresting however the plot was so addictive that it didn't matter as it might have in another book.

Beyond Suspicion by James Grippando. Not one of his best books I thought. There were two saving graces I think the surprise of the real killer and the Russian mob angle. I thought the Russian mob made it more interesting since they don't seem to be as prominent in fiction as the Mafia and other gangs.

Takedown by Brad Thor
    His absolute best book yet. The plot was more intense than any other of his novels. The setting was scary as to how it really could happen. The ending was also very unexpected. I hope that maybe this either carries over or is talked about in the next books.

The Race by Richard North Patterson
    A very interesting book about the characters running a Presidential campaign. The unlikely alliances that form between opponents. I'd be very happy if he brought these characters back. If you like politics read the book, if you don't then skip the book. It's all running for President nothing more.

14. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

I'm currently reading Robert Mawsons' The Lazarus Child

Seven-year-old Frankie Heywood lies comatose in a London hospital after being hit by a car. Her older brother, Ben, who witnessed the accident, blames himself and becomes emotionally distant. His detachment increases as Frankie's lingering condition and his parents' marital difficulties compound the family tension. Finally, the Heywoods turn for help to an American neurologist, Elizabeth Chase, whose pioneering efforts with young coma patients provide renewed hope for Frankie's recovery. Behind Dr. Chase's extreme dedication to her work, and adding to the drama, lies a childhood experience similar to Ben's from which she has never fully recovered. Risk and controversy surround Dr. Chase's experimental methods, and local protesters obtain a court injunction to close her clinic. Frankie's treatment is interrupted, counter-measures are taken, and suspense builds in the competing race for her welfare. However, a couple of gratuitously explicit sex scenes (which transform readers into voyeurs) and a few bizarre chapters depicting epic travels through consciousness do little to advance the story. Recommended for larger fiction collections.
    -?Sheila M. Riley, Smithsonian Inst. Libs., Washington, DC

15. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I just finished CSI NY book Four Walls. It was rather surprising how much it made remarks to the show.. No way you can read it without watching the show.

Now I am reading BIG book about one of our former president (he was president for 26 yrs). It's rather interesting, since he was member of same party than I am and... yes, my studies go well with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.