Petersen, Fox, Dourdan Leave, Larry Fishburne In *No Spoilers* Closed

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by addictedtoSpeed, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

Exclusive: William Petersen Says B-Y-E to 'CSI'

Jul 15, 2008, 02:42 AM | by Michael Ausiello
    Categories:

[​IMG]
    You know that fancy new CSI contract that William Petersen inked last May? Turns out there was a ticking time bomb buried in the fine print: He'll be gone by midseason! And not "off too do a play" gone like he was back in 2006. No, this season's 10th episode will be his last as a full-time series regular.
    "Billy is leaving," confirms the show's executive producer, Carol Mendelsohn. "But he will remain throughout the run of the series an executive producer. And he will, whenever CBS asks, come back. I don't think you've seen the last of Gil Grissom."
    Neither does Petersen. In fact, in an exclusive interview conducted on July 11, the eight-year CSI vet seemed almost reluctant to characterize his departure as, um, a departure. Citing both his ongoing role as an executive producer and his intention to return on occasion as a (very special) guest star, he said, "I'm in a great place in terms of knowing that I'll be more free to make choices. And I'm responsible enough to not do it in a way that would hurt [the show].

"I want it to work for the writers, I want it to work for the cast, and, most importantly, I want it to work for the audience," he added. "I don't want them to abandon the show."
    CBS has to be concerned about that, too. Although no one expects ratings to nosedive when Petersen leaves, the network's top-rated show is staring down its biggest challenge ever. His sorta swan song, coupled with Jorja Fox and Gary Dourdan's exits last season, brings to three the number of original cast members CSI will have lost in a year's time.
    "This will be a year of transition for the show," concedes Mendehlson. "We always knew it was coming, and I'm glad it didn't come until now." At this point, she's confident that, like Law & Order and ER, CSI is a franchise that can weather such cast shifts. "There's never going to be another William Petersen, and there will never be another Jorja Fox," she hastens to add. "But we are not out to just replace those actors. We're out to add new characters to the show, and the show will change as a result. But that's a good thing." (For more on CSI's post-Grissom plans, click here.)
    In the meantime, Mendelsohn is plotting one hell of a send-off for her leading man. Just as this is a year of transition for CSI, so too is it for Grissom. The events of last season's finale -- specifically the death of Dourdan's Warrick -- will push Grissom to the breaking point. "The easiest way to describe Grissom is 'in crisis,'" Petersen told me. "As a man. As a scientist. As a teacher. As a middle-aged person who has been very successful at what he's done... [he] wonders, 'What's the point?'

"It's all of a sudden becoming more difficult for him to do his job," he continued. "What had been a sort of fun job for him to do, because he loved the solving of the riddle, has become ever more taxing and difficult."
    Helping Grissom through the crisis will be his true love, Sara, played by Fox, who is returning for multiple episodes, starting with the season premiere. While Petersen confirms that Sara will figure into Grissom's final arc, he stops just short of saying the couple will ride off into the desert together at the end of episode 10. "I wouldn't want to say exactly what we're going do -- I want people to watch, certainly," he chuckled. "But Sara is involved... It's often darkest just before the dawn."
    And lest anyone read any hidden meaning into that statement, the actor reiterated, "For me, it's a really good situation. I don't want the audience to think it's not... [It isn't] like there's something going on, like 'Petersen's unhappy,' 'cause it's not true. It's quite the contrary. "
    That explains why he's having trouble labeling his departure a... well, you know. "My biggest problem with leaving the show at any point isn't leaving Grissom -- I'm an actor, it's time to do other things," said the stage vet, whose first post-CSI gig will be a return to the theater -- and to Connor McPherson's play, A Dublin Carol -- this fall in his hometown of Chicago. "[The hard part will be saying goodbye] to the cast and crew. [So] I'm going to stay as involved as I'm allowed to be throughout the remainder of this show. Until they turn off all the lights."
    So what do you think? Is CSI losing Petersen as a full-timer a crime? Is part-time Petersen better than none at all? Comment away below!

2. GameFace

GameFace Lab Technician

Re: Petersen leaves CSI for good

tee hee, so much for me asking if I should reveal spoilers in the Billy thread :lol:

Anyway, hardly a surprise. The surprise was that he signed up for the new season in the first place. I don't get why he's gonna continue as a producer.

Best of luck to Billy, I suspect he'll head home to Chi-town, he never was a fan of LA. And get back on that stage a lot and do what he truly loves, oh, and goes to loads of Cubs, Bears and Hawks games.

He's been fantastic as Grissom, one of the best and most unique TV characters of the past decade, it's been an absolute pleasure watching him. He's been the best thing on TV for years.

I'm cool with him leaving. I have loved CSI since the start, but it's maybe time for me to move on an all, and now I can :D As long as Billy was there, I wasn't going anywhere! Now I can say ta-ra to the wondeful CSI: Vegas, it's been a joy!

I think he's doing the right thing, leaving the programme while it's still the most watched TV show in the world! Pretty damn good going after 8 years. What a time to go.

I hope they give Griss a good send-off, he deserves it an all, and not make the ending TOO traumatic!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  3. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I think the show's going to lose a little something.

Don't get me wrong, it'll survive without him, but it's going to lose part of what makes it CSI with Grissom being gone. It'll be interesting to see who steps up... will Catherine be promoted? Or will Nick get it?

And what does Grissom's departure mean for the other CSIs, like Greg and Wendy and Riley?

Best of luck to Billy Petersen in his future endeavors. :)

4. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I'm actually not too surprised. I think it would have happened at the end of season 8 had it not been for the writer's strike. I am glad that they announced it so there won't be more of the speculation about if and when WP leaves. Now it's just the 'how', which is what CSI is all about anyway.

The send-off sounds interesting and I am happy he will continue to be involved with the show. And very happy that Sara is involved. It sounds like a fitting and much anticipated 'resolution' of their story. 'Happy trails' to Grissom and Sara, 'until we meet again'! (That's from the 'Roy Rogers Show' for those too young to know).:)

Best of luck to you, Billy! Thanks for 8 great years.

5. ejacksonian

ejacksonian Hit and Run

We need to remember that CSI has been reportedly a grueling show. He'll probably working "part-time" for the show, while doing other projects.

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I think the show will suffer as a result of Grissom leaving.

Although he wasn't my favourite characters, I liked very much what he brought to the show.

Asking fans to stay on after three characters leave is too much to ask. I love Catherine, Nick and Greg, but it was the mix of the cast that made it so unique and wonderful and while some of us griped for better storylines for our characters, no one wanted to do it at another character's expense.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Re: Petersen leaves CSI for good *May Contain Small Spoilers*

I don't know how I feel about this. I like Grissom. I am worried about the sendoff though. I don't want it to be all shippy. That'd be great for the Gil/Sara shippers, sure... but for the rest of the fans, not so much. Hopefully they won't make it that way cause I think it would be a big mistake (no offense to G/S shippers). I think doing it that way would in fact turn a lot of fans off. That's what worries me. I don't want the show to lose viewers because of it... you know?

But for me, as long as Eric Szmanda's still on the show, I'll probably continue to watch. :lol: He's my fave. :D

If ER can survive for up to what is it now 14 or 15 seasons? And George Clooney left in what season? If ER can survive (god only knows how its lasted this long with so many cast changes) without George Clooney for as long as it has, I think CSI has a good shot at surviving without Billy. At least Billy intends to come back every now and then. George Clooney only returned once or twice after his departure. He's too busy doing movies now. :lol:

But, Billy's departure makes me wonder if Cath will take over being supervisor or if they'll bring in someone new. Or will Grissom still work there and they'll just not show him much?

8. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I honestly don't see a problem with Grissom leaving. I think it will be good for the team and allow some of the other characters to be front and center. Bye Grissom!

9. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I, too, wondered if this should be considered a spoiler. :confused:

Anyway, since we're talking about it...

I think it's a great chance to re-invent the show, whether we think we'll like that or not. The fact is, it's changed with the characters leaving. So they might as well go all the way and turn it around. That is, as long as they leave the remaining characters alone! Don't completely start over with a new cast.

And oh yeah....great...bring the stupid miniature killer back. :rolleyes: Didn't that overtake a whole season just to end on a ridiculous note?

10. GregNickRyanFan

I know, I totally rolled my eyes too when I read that part. Grissom crosses paths with her? Um... isn't she in jail or the looney bin or something? Just how the bloody heck is he supposed to cross paths with her? :wtf: That doesn't make any sense at all.

As for a replacement, if they are shopping new actors to join, I vote for either Bill Pullman or John Schneider. I don't like the idea of John Malkovich as a regular. I could see him as a villian/guest star, but not a regular. He's a magnificent actor, but I just don't think he'd fit with the cast as a regular. Plus, he probably wouldn't want to do it anyway. He's too big in films. :lol: Bill Pullman did guest spots on L&O: SVU. And I miss John Schneider on Smallville. That show hasn't been the same since he left. :lol: I could see the both of them fitting in really well with the LV cast. :)

I think they should either make Catherine the head supervisor or bring back Sophia and give her the supervising job since she was supervisor of the dayshift before Ecklie demoted her.

11. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

I'm upset that Billy's leaving, but I'm not suprised, I'm also happy for that he feels it's time to move on, but that he's promised to come back as a guest star, In my opinion it'll be a great lose to the show, but like others have said, the show must go on without him. I hope that when he leaves Cath gets his position as supervisor, but I feel it's going to be strange without him, but I'm also happy that some other stars will get more screentime.

But I wish Billy the best of luck with his career. Onwards and upwards.

12. GregNickRyanFan

Yeah, I'm a little upset, but I'm not surprised totally either. He's been talking about possibly leaving the show for a while now.

13. GameFace

GameFace Lab Technician

not if they bring in a 'star name' to try and replace him.

Don't see how Billy leaving would suddenly mean extra screen time to some of the lesser stars*. Cos they aren't just going to leave the show with 3 or 4 main characters, they'll be bringing someone else in. And as a leading man, Bill Petersen actually cut back a lot on his screen time in later seasons compared to the first 4 seasons. A new leading character may not want to do that.

* I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I mean as in not the leading stars such as Billy and Marg - but the next ones in line, such as George Eads, Szmanda, the new bint, whatever she's called.

14. EmilyRocks

EmilyRocks Police Officer

I am not totally surprised about this happening, I am thankful that he'll still be a part of the show in one way or another.
    I'll miss him!!

15. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Police Officer

Well said I totally agree.
    I for one will find it very hard to follow the show quite so avidly as I think the Grissom character was unique and central to the success of the show.

It is going to be like 'Columbo' with out Peter Falk.

I see, particularly from the posts just above, that those whose fav characters are one of the remaining cast will not be so bothered, naturally by WP departure. But without causing offense, good as those actors and characters are, none of them is up to carrying the show like Petersen was. Paul Guilfoyle is closest, but they will have to re-invent the show. I think the production team and writers are definitely of a calibre to do that sucessfully.

But it will be a different show, and we will have to wait and see if it will loose it's no1 spot worldwide. I suspect it will and Miami will take over. Pity. But it will still be high up the ranks I am sure, given the caliber of team there.

They have not let us down yet - So I am saddened by the loss, but still expect the best from Mendelsohn and Shankar.

And please god not John Malkovich - class actor but looks like the back end of a bus.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.