Locker Room #18: Danny/Carmine: Welcome to the Insane Asylum!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

2. _Fra_

_Fra_ Civilian

Those sure are wonderful pics! :eek:
    The guys are really photogenic, shining smiles, intense looks...
    I love Eddie and Carmine being friends in real life, their friendship shows through the pics :)
    And I didn't even know they were here in Italy, I would have LOVED to see them! Too bad, but it was fun to read the interviews and watch the photos!

3. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Okay guys, Italian to the rescue! ;) Let's see if I can beat that Google translator... *lol*

Here's the first article:

A detective with Italian blood – Interview with Carmine Giovinazzo

Detective Danny Messer from CSI:NY is Carmine Giovinazzo, a young actor from Port Richmond, born and raised in a family of NYPD police officers.

Looking at him you immediately think he’s an American boy, but his last name betrays his origins. Carmine has in fact calabrese (read: from Calabria, in the south of Italy) blood from his father’s side. He’s a second-generation Italian-American, but as soon as he came to Rome for the 2008 FictionFest hestarted to claim those origins back. “I’m Italian, from Calabria. My last name’s Giovinazzo, like that town in Puglia (a region in the south of Italy).”

So we went to interview him. Despite the hot July weather and the wild nights in the city, Carmine didn’t lose his sense of humor and with an ironic smile on his face he tells us that he’s got the charm of Italian men and that he loves our food.

-“You’ve been on the CSI cast for years now, aren’t you afraid of being confined to this role?”
    “No, because before the audition I was unemployed so right now I’d rather be playing Danny Messer.”

-“Before you became an actor you were a professional baseball player but an accident put an end to that. If that hadn’t happened, would you have followed that career?”
    “Absolutely. Yes, that accident changed my life. I was a pretty good player so I’d have definitely followed that path.”

-“Other than coming from a family of cops, some of your cousins like Buddy, Rick Giovinazzo and Larry Romano are actors. Did they influence you in any way?”
    “Yes. Larry actually suggested me to try it. He told me to start auditioning and then I was chosen for the role on CSI:NY.”

-“How much do you feel Italian-American?”
    “I’m passionate, energetic, and also as charming as Italian men are.”

-“How much of Carmine did you put in Danny Messer and vice versa?”
    “I’d say there’s a lot of myself in the character and vice versa. We’d be schizophrenic if there wasn’t anything from our characters in us, it’s inevitable after five years.”

-“You’ve been in Rome for five days, going to night clubs and such. Did you have fun? Did you find a girlfriend?”
    “I’m still looking for a girlfriend but after Rome, I hope to settle down. Yes, I had fun, but I’m not a womanizer. I haven’t found the right woman but I’m still looking.”

-“What kind of jobs did you do before you became an actor?”
    “The stripper! It was actually cool because I’d strip down at night and audition during the day. I’m kidding! Please don’t write this…”

-“What do you like about Italy?”
    “The food. I love Italian food.”

-“Did your father cook Italian food in your family?”
    “No, he didn’t. But he tried sometimes though, when I was little since we had a small deli. I loved it. His favorite dish was eggs and potatoes.”

-“You’re a painter, other than an actor.”
    “Yes, and one of my paintings actually appeared in one of the episodes. I also have a band. I love writing songs and playing guitar.”

-“How’s your relationship with your co-workers?”
    “Great. I’m friends with AJ Buckley and Eddie Cahill and we go out together a lot.”

-“Will you keep working on a TV show or would you like to star on the big screen?"
    “I’m always looking for different things. I wrote a script about a group of friends from New York that I’ve been trying to produce for six years. I would really like to work on a movie.”

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

^^^^ Much better than google, thank you. :)

5. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

You're welcome. :) Here's the second article:

The 2008 Rome FictionFest greeted three of the actors from the popular TV show CSI:NY, directed by Jerry Bruckheimer, Carmine Giovinazzo (Danny Messer), Eddie Cahill (Don Flack) and AJ Buckley (Adam Ross). Two unaired episodes from season four have been showed on July 11th. The new season, followed by roughly 11,3 million viewers in the US, will air on Fox Crime and Italia1 next year.

We interviewed the three actors, Carmine Giovinazzo, Eddie Cahill and AJ Buckley.

-“Why do you think CSI is such an international hit?”
    Eddie Cahill: “I think its success comes from the fact that viewers are directly involved in the crime and forensic science. Before we started filming we all had to take lessons from Crime Scene experts. I guess CSI’s success goes beyond people’s love and passion for mystery and crime.”

-“Can you give us some hints about what’s going to happen to your characters in season four?”
    AJ Buckley: “Adam is still kind of a new character, a lab rat who’s finally starting to come out of it and interact with others."
    Eddie Cahill: “Between the end of the fourth season and the beginning of the fifth I’m going to meet my sister, who will come back into my life and some consequences will derive from that.”
    Carmine Giovinazzo: “I’d rather not anticipate anything. My character will go through some pretty dramatic stuff so I don’t want to say anything.”

-“ How much of yourself do you put in your characters?”
    AJ Buckley: “Adam is pretty similar to me."
    Eddie Cahill: “There’s a lot of myself in my character.”
    Carmine Giovinazzo: “If you play a character for a long time it’s inevitable that he becomes a part of yourself.”

-“What kind of jobs did you do before you became actors?”
    AJ Buckley: “I worked at Mc Donald’s, giving orders to people. I had a lot of responsibilities.”
    Eddie Cahill: “I worked for the theatre I was studying and playing for.”
    Carmine Giovinazzo: “ I was a stripper, I’d strip down at night and audition during the day. Of course I’m kidding.”

-“Which other character besides your own would you’ve liked to play?”
    AJ Buckley: “I love all the characters of CSI:NY.”
    Eddie Cahill: “I would have liked Carmine’s role.”
    Carmine Giovinazzo: “I would’ve liked to play Eddie’s character.”

-“ What do you like to do in your spare time?”
    AJ Buckley: “Snowboard. Boxing. I love sports.
    Eddie Cahill: “Working out and surfing.”
    Carmine Giovinazzo: “Music, painting, every kind of artistic expression.”

-“ What are your plans for the future?”
    AJ Buckley: “I would really love to sit behind the camera. I love the idea of having an idea and taking it to the next level. I’ve written a couple of pilots for TV shows, but I’d basically like to work anywhere.”
    Eddie Cahill: “I like working on television and that’s what I want to keep doing. I think it’s the closest thing to a normal job, you don’t live out of a suitcase and come back home every night. I don’t like the drama and publicity that usually comes with every blockbuster.”
    Carmine Giovinazzo: “ I’m always looking for something different. I’ve written a movie script about a group of friends from New York.”

I'll translate the last one tomorrow, it's midnight around here and I'm beat! ;)

6. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Thanks Orison they are great interviews.

The bits about he stripper make me wonder if it was a bet between the boys or something the way its done. And dramatic, ahh could be hinting at the return of Rikki etc... definately sounds interesting.

7. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Thanks for the translation, Orison! You rock. :D

:lol: He's a funny guy. Although, I'm thinking he could have made a lot of money doing that...Just a thought in case he ever needs to consider supplementing his income... :devil:

8. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I think the dramatic he's referring to is S4 as that's just starting over there. Although I'm pretty sure there'll be dramatic in S5 too. :)

Very true :lol:

9. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

More Danny drama. Sweet. *whistles innocently*

Maybe the drama is related to Danny's past as a stripper :lol:

To help Orison a bit (although my translation is not as good) there you go:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

Eggs and potatoes?? Is there a nice dish you can make from eggs and potatoes?? :lol:

Thanks for the translations ladies, very much appreciated :D

11. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

You could make a basic spanish omelette, but thats not very Italian.

Thanks for the translations people!!

12. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

^ Yeah, I was wondering about that too, going like 'WTF' while translating. *lol* I'm Italian and I've never heard of any famous dish with eggs and potatoes... ;)

Btw, thanks for helping out with the translation, miss_blue! :)

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Orison, thank you for the translations, which definitely kick Google's ass! :lol: :D

Carmine is a consummate tease. The stripper stuff? Shameless. Now show us the goods! :devil: ;)

14. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

A little midweek pick-up pressie:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

15. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

Thank-you Poppet - just what I needed this evening :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.