Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

My first job was through a connection and I was there for over 3 years :) We all need some help sometimes :)

Owing my own business we usually do look for people that have some experience. It is easier to train them but we are willing to take on untrained people. We are about to lose one such employee. A very nice kid who came looking for the job almost a year ago. We usually like to hire kids that are closer to 18 only because of maturity levels. He turned out to be just shy of 17 and he's been a very good employee. Very trustworthy. We are very sorry to be losing him :)

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

My parents would never have helped me get a job. No, I was out there on my own trying to get my first job, and let me tell you, it's hard. And to be honest, it's discouraging, and a lot of the time I found myself wondering what was so wrong with me that no one would hire me.

Now, having said that, I do think it's important for kids to go out and find a job on their own. A bit of help is okay sometimes, but the parents shouldn't do it all for them.

3. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Aw. That's great that you had such a good apple but sad that he won't be sticking around.

Agreed. In my case, I have a bit of social anxiety --especially when I was 14 and getting my first job--so the help that my parents did give me (encouragement/support/ideas of where to apply) went a long way. But I never expected them to 'find me a job'. No pain, no gain. :p

4. Dragonfly

It is so freaking hot out today. It's 30C, and probably the first day all month with no breeze :rolleyes:

How's the rest of Canada doing?

Anyone got any big plans for tomorrow?

5. Jacquie

Well here in the Toronto area it's a cloudy 21C. We had unpleasant heat and humidity last week. We've also had a lot of rain these last couple of weeks. Everything is green and damp.

Big plans for Canada Day are to sleep in and take it easy :) At some point in the day we need to come to the store to feed the cats but other than that nada. In past years we've watched the Jays on tv sitting while enjoying the day outside. Tomorrow the Jays are in Seattle so no baseball on the back deck. Tomorrow's weather is suppose to be 25C with cloudy periods.

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

it is so rainy in toronto! i feel like i am back in Vancouver...glad it is cooler though. My future shop's AC broke and i think the store manager was trying to get away with not fixing it to save money :rolleyes: So many customers complained, and then they are always wondering why we are losing business...riiiggghhtt.

7. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Well on THIS end of the country it is cool and rainy...all last week we had sun and mid to high 20's but now it's like the complete opposite. But in true Newfoundland style, we'll be ranting and roaring and drinking till the wee hours and won't be letting a little rain dampen the celebrations of tomorrow. I've got about 35+ wild souls invading my home early tomorrow afternoon to get the festivities started.

So here's to all of you...Have a Happy and fun Canada Day :beer:

8. my_last_chance

my_last_chance Police Officer

Hey fellow Canadians!
    Happy Canada Day, eh!
    It's hot ... umm, possibly thirty, maybe higher out here in Alberta. Gah. And not a thunder cloud in sight. I don't think we're supposed to be getting rain for a while. I feel bad for the farmers.
    So my plans for Canada Day? Well, I'm going to get cake with the community while we celebrate. Opening some sort of splash park 'n what-not, and then I'm out to dinner with my parents. Seems like a regular summer day to me. Except for the cake part.

9. Jacquie

[​IMG]

Happy Canada Day everyone. I hope you all have a safe and happy day :)

10. Dragonfly

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!

I have no plans for today, other than hanging out at home and relaxing. I may go check out the fireworks tonight, but I haven't decided yet.

The forecast for today is 28 with thunderstorms. It's hot, but no clouds in sight, so we'll see :lol:

11. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!!! :D

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go out and celebrate my best friends birthday tonight. I'll pretend all the fireworks are for her :p

12. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Okay, I feel awful, but I was out of the country on Canada Day. I still thought about this lovely land though, so that counts for something, right? ;)

It's been so far, so good with the weather in this part. Not too hot, which is good considering I've got a new uniform at work with long sleeves. Yeah, it's fun walking out in those.

Anyhoo, what are we all doing this summer? Anything interesting? I just got back from my vacation, so the plan for the next two months is to just relax.

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

its finally getting hot here, but since it happened so fast and has been so cool the last few weeks im dying from the heat! thank goodness for the pool. this week was the first of the summer festivals that happen in my downtown, sunfest. there is international music and food and its really fun, but was sooo hot! after getting my fill of portugese custard tarts i cooled myself off in the pool.

for the rest of the summer i will just be in class, around the pool, and at my volunteering at the wildlife rehab clinic. in about 5 weeks (i cant believe its so close!!) i will be heading down to grenada and be out of canada for the longest time in my life, 4 months in a row :eek:

14. my_last_chance

my_last_chance Police Officer

This summer ... mainly ... nothing. I'm taking a high school class, volunteering, and going to visit some relatives. Not much, sadly.
    The weather here has been ah ... rainy for a bit, then sunny and warm today with a wind. Nothing too dramatic.
    Have fun in Grenada, allmaple! I don't think I'd be able to be away from home for that long.

15. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

Well, I'm a Brit, but I'm a Canadian at heart. ;) :lol: I love Canada, I'm actually coming over in just under 3 weeks time, I'll be spending 16 days in your beautiful country, staying mainly just outside Toronto, but I'll also be visiting Niagara Falls for 3 days and possibly Montreal as well. What's the weather currently like over your side of the Pond?