How Much is Gas Where you Live?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Smokey, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Yeah. An indadequate/insufficient public transit system is even worse than no transit system at all. A lot of places are like that. Plus, I'm sure cab fares are going up, as well, due to higher gas prices (gotta make the money back someway.)

Wow. So unless you have a Chevron or Texaco card, you will have to use cash. That's just wild. I know, nowadays myself and most people I know only use debit/credit cards at the gas pump. A credit card is a lot easier to use than cash, because with cash, you have to go in and pay first. Where I am, most, if not all gas stations have "Pay at the Pump" where you just put your credit card in, and they charge it automatically.

I know I have a Citgo card, but now there's not a Citgo close to my house, and I'm not going to go several miles out of my just to get gas.

As stated in the article, nowadays, more people use credit cards for gas because it's more convenient. I don't know many people who carry large sums of cash on them, and with a tank of gas being upwards of $50, I'm going to use a credit card.

It'll be interesting to see if this affects business at that station, and if other chains follow suit.

/honestly, I didn't know Chevron/Texaco were still around. Haven't seen one in awhile.

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Computer error prices gas at $1.40 at Ohio station
    Jun 25, 2:49 PM (ET)

CINCINNATI (AP) - A computer error caused a Cincinnati area service station to sell gas for $1.40 instead of $4.10, leading to a major traffic jam. Vehicles clogged the area around a Marathon station in suburban Sycamore Township while the bargain was available for roughly three hours on Tuesday, until Hamilton County sheriff's deputies persuaded the station to shut down.

Tiffany Smith waited in line for two hours to take advantage of the deal. She says these days, her family has to decide between buying food or buying gas, and the fuel price glitch would allow her to do both.
    The store clerk told WKRC-TV he didn't know how to fix the problem and was having trouble reaching his store manager.

3. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

we pay $2.30 per liter which, if my calculations are right, is about $8.64 per gallon. so prices in the USA are superlow for us. gee i wish it was $4 or $5.

4. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Gas in the Toronto area is hanging still at around $1.33 a liter. Who knows what summer and the long weekends will bring in prices but time will tell.

As for taking public transit to work :guffaw:Most mornings take anywhere from 30-60 minutes to drive 25km. If I took public transit it would be more like 2 hours each way. Toronto public transit thinks it's the better way but it's not. In all fairness I live outside of Toronto and the public transit in town is not the best. I work in Toronto and it would involve taking two different transit systems That being said it would probably cost me about $5 for each way on public transit. I'll stick to my car thank you very mcuh :)

5. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I've just popped my head in here to have a look. I was in Miami last week, and we were talking to some people complaining about how much gas has increased recently, and they were really annoyed about it. Until we told them how much it was here in the UK!they were just totally shocked. I put £20 in my tank sunday evening, and it only just filled it up to half tank, I'd have got 3/4 before. I paid £115.9 a litre. It's stupid. We put so much tax and crap on it!!

How much has it increased over the past year there?

6. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

Its got really expensive here in New Zealand. Petrol now costs $2.10 a litre. Thats $1.59 in US Dollar.
    Its alright for me cos I bus to school. But its annoying for my parents having to travel far to get to work everyday

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  7. Caro86

Caro86 Rookie

about 1,55€...should be about 2,50 US$...way too much

8. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Yeah. That's the thing, there's a lot of people who live in places where it's not convenient to take public transit. It's either too expensive or not time effective and/or unreliable. Shame, because I think that if it was more convenient, a lot more people would use it. I know I would.

It's gone up anywhere from $.75 to $1.00 per gallon in the past year. However, that's just where I live. I think this time last year, gas was somewhere between $3.00 to $3.30 per gallon, depending on where you live. The real ugly part is that about 10 years ago, gas was only $1.40-1.50 per gallon, depending. Two to three years ago, we thought $3.00 per gallon was extremely high, $4.00 per gallon was unthinkable.

There's a website called gasbuddy.com that shows the prices of gas all over the US and Canada. According to there chart, gas a year ago in the States averaged $2.97 per gallon. Today, it averages $4.09. That's just the national average. Where I am, it averages about $4.10-4.15

Here's an interesting link, the average prices of gas, in US Dollars per gallon over the past two years.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?time=24

It's only going to get uglier from here.

9. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Yesterday I saw that at some gas stations the price was 1,595€/litre. That's 2,528 USD/litre! :eek: I'm so glad I won't need the car for 3,5 weeks now as I go on vacation!

10. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Here it seems that it has stopped... diesel being cheapest, around 1.42 and so on.

Still really expensive :p

11. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Well it is about $$4.25 here now. I am in one of those places where public transportation is poor at best. Luckily I only drive about 10 - 15 miles a day.

12. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I thought that $3.98 to $4.09 around here was bad, but I just got home from a weekend near San Diego where I saw $4.59 to $4.79 per gallon.

13. Audrey2419

Audrey2419 Pathologist

I got gas Friday night and paid $4.04 a gallon. I live in Georgia. :rolleyes: I spend almost all of my extra funds putting gas in the car to drive to and from work. I think I'm going to look into taking Mass Transit during the week.

The whole mass transit thing is a time question. Will it save me enough gas money to justify the extra time it takes me to get to and from places. I'll have to experiment for a couple of weeks and decide. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  14. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

today I saw that at my gas station the price was 1,62€/liter.
    That's $2,555 a liter :eek:

15. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I got gas for $3.89/Gal. today. Pretty good price considering up the street it was $.10 more.