The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I agree with that theory. I mean, you are really kicking ass (like Holland was with their 3-0 and 4-1 against such a countries than Italy and France) and then you relax one game and think everything is easy and poof, you are again agaist strong team and you just don't get the same feeling to play the ball.

2. Misery

Misery Pathologist

I agree. :D On the other hand it's easy to understand coaches who have to think about injuries and resting valuable players who had a tough season and are exhausted, but on the other, that positive charge that leads to victory is gone.

3/4 teams who were first in group were hit with that "curse". It is something to think about...

3. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^Well, that theory doesn't work with Spain, we played with reserves the last match of the first round against Greece and then we got into the semifinals with the 1º team so...

*Worried about tomorrow's match*

4. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

i'm quite sad Turkey just lost. they played better than Germany, and i was really rooting for them. now i have to hope Spain wins with Russia, cuz a Germany vs Russia final for a Polish girl is not an easy choice :p

but to be serious, Russians showed some amazing football during this tournament, and i wouldn't be surprised if they won not only with Spain but also Germany. in fact i'm going to contradict what i said before and say that i'd gladly cheer for Russians if it came to a Russia-Germany final. i like their game better.

i have to be fair though, and say that Germans played quite well during today's match, although Podolski and Klose weren't as visible as usual. Ballack was a bit absent too, not to mention that i have no idea what is Lehman doing on this tournament. he might've won a goalkeeper raffle or something.

i'm not sure they deserved the final, but i know one thing for sure, those guys know how to win.

5. Misery

Misery Pathologist

I didn't mention Spain, but still 3/4 teams who played the last game "safe" and were first in the group didn't make the half finals. It does show something...

As to today's match...gotta love karma. :D They lost the game in the last minute, although they were better.

As for tomorrow...I like what Russia showed in this tournament and I think they'll win. But, of course, we just have to wait and see.

6. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I feel really sorry for Turkey. I don't think they deserved to lose last night, especialyl in the final minute like that. Well from what we saw with all the technical faults and what not. I still hope that Spain will beat Russia, but Russia have looked good, and if they do win, I can feel slightly better about us not being there, because well, I can rationalise it in my head :D

7. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

I never thought I'd support Turkey but I was really impressed by them, especially after the match vs Croatia, you've got to be awfully strong mentally to carry on within minutes till the end. Well, they scored a goal in the last 10 seconds of the match and yesterday Germans did almost the same <shrugs>

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Spain :)

8. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Me too, bubbles. Players from Turkey were amazing! But, well... Germans are a good team for the tournaments and they showed that.

Spain and Russia, who will win? I've never been fan of these two teams. And it's hard to bet. Spain is Spain, do I need to say more? Russia - in this cup they're playing like a dream. Just can' wait for this interesting semi-final.

9. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

I’m not fan of German football and it has nothing to do with the fact they kicked our asses :lol:
    I also don’t really like Russia but seeing what they did with the Netherlands, there’s a good chance we will have Germany vs Russia final (not sure what to think about it)

10. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I have one thought... only if it happen of course... very fierce game. Both teams won't pass up. But before Russia is match with Spain...

11. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I think if there's a Germany v Russia final, the Germans will win it. Like's been said before, Germany are a good tournament team, and as well as Russia have played I think it'd be a match too far for them, not necessarily because the German's are so much better, I don't think they have been so far, but they've just beaten good teams already.

12. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Yayyyyyyyyy, WE WON !!!!! :D:D:D
    Russia 0 - Spain 3 (Xavi Hernández, Silva and Güiza).
    What a wonderful match, especially the 2º half.

13. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

<applauds> :) :)

a great match definitely and I'm really happy Spain won!!! :D
    now, please, just do the same in the final :D

14. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Yay, Germany v Spain! Honestly? We didn't deserve to win yesterday, that match sucked. But on the other hand, it's about winning and not about playing nice. And well, we should have gotten this one penalty so maybe that makes up for it ;) Can't wait for the final, hope we'll make it, that would be the best day ever! Celebrating the cup and going to the USA on Monday!

15. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

yay, congrats to Spain. at least one team i rooted for got to the final. i hope they'll win on Sunday in Vienna.

they played really well. if we pretend it was a double-match? ... bi-match? ... two-match? they won 7:1 :p thing is, in the second half Russians were so tired they were barely standing. they played real well all through the tournament but it was obvious they weren't ready for so many matches with such tough opponents.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008