The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

Congrats to Russia. Even to feel a bit sad for Holland, the Russian guys play very well and deserve to go forward.

So this evening is my game - go Torres, go Spain. :D

2. Misery

Misery Pathologist

Well, Spain was better in shooting the penalties and Russia will have another chance to beat them in the halffinals. It's interesting that Spain got to break their 22.06. curse. :D

I'm kind of sad that Italy didn't pass, because no matter how bad they are, they are kind of special to me. :D But considering the fact that Donadoni is probably the worst coach ever, I'm also glad that this will probably lead to him being fired.

3. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

We're not jinxed anymore, we defeated Italy and we're on semifinals. :D

Now I'm afraid about what will happen on Thursday against Russia, Spanish players were so worried about Italy and passing quaterfinals that maybe they get relaxed and not focused against Russia as we already defeated them on the first round. And we shouldn't forget that they improved a lot and defeated Holland.

4. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

Yeh, to be fair I didn't think the Spain/Italy game was too great overall, but I'm happy to see them go through. A Spain/Germany final now I reckon.

5. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

:( x 1000 We were watching Holland - Russia match... and mega :( Yes, Russia deserved to win. I cannot believe that van Basten didn't change tactics after it was obvious they don't get thru the middle, because Russia's defense is so strong. But how pretty Holland's goal was. So pretty.
    When it was 2-1, you could see from Dutch defensemen that they had given up already. And in both first two Russian goals... you could blame the Dutch defense. They sucked so badly. I think it's great to have some new countrie to the top. Now there is two: Russia and Turkey
    Just like Greece was big surprise last time. Who knows if we get Turkey - Russia final.
    Germany is now my fave team ;)

As for Italy - Spain. I only watched full time, I laughed when Buffon didn't catch the ball and it almost went to goal :lol:

Now I just wonder should I pick Lehmann or Spanish goalie for my Fantasy Football team...

6. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

Go Casillas sp?! He's less clumsy than Lehmann, a better overall goalie I think. I was too gutted for Holland, but Russia were the better team on the night.

7. Rellaaaa

Rellaaaa Lab Technician

It was so sad when Holland lost and I couldn't even finish watching the game. Cause the scenes that would have come would have totally broken my heart. :(

I am now thinking that Spain will win the Euro Cup and kick right away also Russia out of the Euro 2008. :devil:

I think tomorrow Turkey will win and they have that last minute of luck. :lol:

Go with Iker Casillas. :D :p

8. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Thank you ;) And I think you should pick Lehmann ;)
    Oh I'm so excited, the match tomorrow will be awesome, I'm sure, I just hope there won't be violence in German cities since there are lots of Turkish people living here, too, I hope everything will be peaceful and we'll have a wonderful football night!

9. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Germany got it really easy tomorrow, Turkey only have 13 players avalaible, the rest, including the best ones, are either injured or suspended.

Spain is playing on Thursday with the golden/light yellow shirt instead of the red one, I hope that didn't get them unlucky...

Btw, Íker Casillas is the world's best goalkeeper.:p

10. Rellaaaa

Rellaaaa Lab Technician

For me Edwin van der Sar is the world's best goalkeeper, but Iker is right behind him on my list. :D

Isn't Russia having the same thing as Turkey except with lesser people?

I have to remember that Spain will be in Yellow or I'll be confused. You should have seen him when Portugal was in white and a other country was wearing the red shirt. :guffaw:

11. Misery

Misery Pathologist

I really can't wait to see their goalkeeper as the striker, since he got permission from the UEFA to play in that role, since they are kind of short. :D

Although they had a lot of luck this far, this is as far as they'll go...

Germany in the finals for sure.

And although I would usually be cheering for Spain, Russia really took me by surprise as they've put such a brilliant performance against Netherlands. They showed just what a great game football is, so I'm still kind of torn between them and Spain...

12. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

13. Marns

Marns CSI Level Two

^ Haha! That is awesome! Badgers playing football.. Genius!

14. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

Great vid. :lol: And yep it`s such a shame that England isn't it EC this year, no chance to wear my Stiven Gerrard t-shart.

Anyway Go Germany!! :D

15. Misery

Misery Pathologist

:guffaw::thumbsup: Yeah, my heart is breaking too.... :D

I just read a theory as why Netherlands, Portugal and Croatia failed to go to the halffinals. According to Ottmar Hitzfeld, they shouldn't have put their reserves in the last group game, because the 1st team lost their charge... Maybe something in that theory...