BASEBALL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Charisma, Jul 24, 2005.

?

Which TV network will you spend the most time watching this fall?

1. The CW

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NBC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ABC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CBS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Cable network, don't watch traditional tv, ect.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Congrats to the JAYS!!

Game 3: Tribe 3 - Dodgers 4
    Summery: Paul Byrd game up four runs in the first, we gained 3 in the second and after that, that was the score. We didn't get the Sweep but we got the series. But Peralta was a hitting machine lol.

Monday were home, and has the day off, then we go against San Fran, and out last 3 interleague with Cin. The last time we played them on their turf we were sweep by them. Both of the next two teams that come in will be to progressive field.

Sorry but I can't wait until interleague is over, our team looks so tired and I am getting so confused as to who is batting where when the main pitcher leaves the game, you pitch hit with every player on the bench and when or if you run out of those you have to dip into the bullpen (and we didn't thank god) but I think AL against AL and NL against NL then if you get to the WS AL against NL. :D

2. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

I like interleague - if only for the comedy factor of seeing pitchers bat. Though I should secure sentiments like that, since batting cost the Yankees one pitcher in injuries already.

Speaking of my beloved team and pitchers - Sidney Ponson FTL. Just proves how desperate we are for decent pitching. That guy is going to end up being a liability with his off-the-field antics though.

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Finally the bats came alive last night and the pitchers did their jobs :)

Toronto 14 Cincinnati 1 :)

The Jays had 22 hits in their attack on the Reds last night. The new pitching coach, Gene Tenace, is a free swinging coach and the Jays certainly benefited from that last night. I just hope they didn't use up all their hits in one game.

Pitchers tonight

Aaron Harang for Cincinnati and Roy Halladay for Toronto

Go Jays and Tribe :)

4. Destiny

The tribe didn't fair so well, and gee I think Omar Vizquel returned, he might be a great player (heck alot of them are) but he isn't god, you would have thought it was the second coming or something. Every place I looked or listened it was about Omar's return, and how he hadn't been back since 2004 I believe it was. Two more days (counting today) of this to go and hopefully it will be awhile longer. Its bad enough that Jim Thome and Manny R. get boo'd at least he got a standing ovation, yay good for him, okay move on. :lol:

Between the fact that Wedge played Marte in the game (trade the poor guy already let him find a team that will play him all the time), and got two strikes and seem to pout on his way back to the dugout. Franky G. Seems to be swinging at everything or just the opposite, in one game a couple games back no outs hes first up, a pitch comes at him so close he could have gotten on (tieing run) and he gets the heck out of the way of it, it would have hit him in the meaty part of the arm. What did he do strike out (as he had all night). They bring in Dellucci and he hits a double, (downside he can't hit lefties, so he had to wait for the righty or that was before I haven't seen him recently). Anyway yesterday they bring Blake to replace Marte and he gets the double I believe. :guffaw:

Yet all these people are saying let the youth play the game, get rid of the veterans, lets see the two striking out are the youth, the two with the hits...The veterans. Besides take out the vets and who teaches the youth? Anywho the tribe lost thanks to Kelly Shoppach throwing the ball away while trying to gun down a stealer. In the seventh/eighth one on third, one on first, two outs, and the guy up at bat with 1-2 count, the guy from first steals, shoppach throws to wide into center and they score, this is the FOURTH time he has done this, and the one time he actually gets it right, they call the guy safe and its clear on STO replay he was out. But that late in the inning let the guy go, then its not really stolen its second by indifference.

Game 1: Tribe 2 - SF 3
    Game 2: 6-25-08

5. Destiny

Game 1: Tribe 2 - SF 3
    Game 2: Tribe 1 - SF 4
    Game 3: Tribe 4 - SF 1

Game 1: Jays 14 - Cin 1
    Game 2: Jays 05 - Cin 6
    Game 3: Jays 07 - Cin 1

Okay Tribe goes against Cincinnati for the last 3 games of Interleague which might I add we were in first place until we started out with them in which now were tied for last place, so I blame Cin for that, I am hoping for payback. :D .. Okay Jays goes against Atlanta for their last 3 games of Interleague, then we can all go back to playing beat up in our own divisions. :guffaw:

So much happened in sporting news lets see here is something, the what not to do, "Astros Player Grabs GM by Neck", because here is the result, "Astros Player Released after altercation with GM", and of course the opps factor Ump Suspended one game for bumping Mets Manager.

6. Jacquie

Destiny and speaking of BB :)....

as you mentioned in you above post the Jays are at home to Atlanta this weekend. The series the Jays just took from Cincinnati was the first series win the Jays have had since they took 2 of 3 from Oakland in late May. In this streak they have lost 7 straight series which is why they are in the basement in the East :brickwall:

Pitching match ups for the weekend

Jair Jurrjens vs Dustin McGowan
    Tim Hudson vs Tim Parish
    Jo-Jo Reyes vs A.J. Burnett

Parish is a call up from Triple A as Shawn Marcum is on the DL

7. Destiny

Game 1: Tribe 6 - Cin 0 .. CC Sabathia vs Daryl Thompson

Pitching matchups for the tribe at progressive field
    6/28 Paul Byrd vs Johnny Cueto
    6/29 Aaron Laffey vs Bronson Arroyo

DL Update for the tribe:
    Carmona threw two sets of 30 throws from 60 feet Friday and felt no soreness in his left hip. He is set for saturday to throw 120 feet, and if all goes well within seven to 10 days, Carmona should be on the mound throwing in the bullpen and, after a couple rehab assignments, expects the right-hander back in the starting rotation shortly after the All-Star break.

Hafner's strength in his shoulder tested at 45-50% which is good compared to two weeks ago when it test at 15% but he will not allowed to do batting activities until he is 75% or more, unknown when his return will be.

Josh Barfield he'll be out of the cast on Monday and ready to begin range of motion therapy.

Victor Martinez is itching, that is to get back on the field, seems they have to becareful with his evaluation of his elbow verses what he is telling them, they fear he will try to find a way to get back with them earlier then scheduled.

Jake Westbrook who is out with season ending tommy john surgery is adjusting he is rehabbing the arm to keep it loose, they said that its an 80-85% success rate which pleased him and that he will take his time so that he can get back [in the middle of 2009] in the same form as when he left, or close to it.

GO T & J !!! :thumbsup:

8. Jacquie

Friday Night was a meeting of the 1992 World Series managers.Cito Gaston and Bobby Cox. Atlanta 4-Toronto 0 Friday night and Toronto 9-Atlanta 5 Saturday. Lets see who wins Sunday.

Friday night was a banner night for former Blue Jay Carlos Delgado. He had 9 RBIS for the Mets against the Yankees. Delgaldo had a 2 run double, a grand slam and a 3 run homer :) Way to go Carlos :)

9. Destiny

Ugg I hate when they bring the past to the present, such as with the Yankees and Indians, it was the "revenge" game we won both series but if you asked players of both teams they laughed at that notion because as they put it, its a new game, new season, what happened in the past is where it stays.

Take for instance the "ohio cup" its that thing between two teams in the same state in different leagues who play for bragging rights. Tonight if I am not mistaken they [Cin] won, yippy-skippy I am sick of hearing about that cup as much as I was about Omar V. Returning to Cleveland lol. While I hope we win tomorrow, I cannot stress how happy I will be when interleague will be over. I normally don't mind it, when its sprinkled throughout the season, but when you have (like we did) 1 series in may and 5 series (15 games) in june one after another it spoils it. Its like to much of something not necessairly a good thing.

Teams who trying to get it together (no matter what league) have to venture out and play the other, then come back and basically start all over again. Selig did this on purpose I just bet because he has messed with everything else and screwed up. :scream:

Anyway Game two: Tribe 0 - Cin 5 .. they returned the favor. Problem was that Paul Byrd gave them a bit of help, first inning fifth pitch of the game he gives up a solo homer. They he gets the bases loaded, and then gives up a double that clears them in the second, a relief pitcher gave up that extra.
    Upside our newest backup catcher Sal Fasano went 2-3, Casey Blake 3 for 3, the others either 1-4, 1-5 or 0-3, 0-4 here is the difference the two that got more then one hit are veterans, the others are the "young ones", I love those who complain about "veterans" taking to much play time from the "younger" players, and that they should be traded or retired because they are over 32 yrs. :wtf: .. might I note that Sal is 36 and Casey is 34. :D

Okay so tomorrow we finish it up (yep they get the cup, hopefully we get the series, seems only fair lol), and move back into the AL against CWS. In which we were starting to get good until that first game with CIN, then we had to fight again started to climb and bam full blown interleague. Now the scratch, claw and etc on Monday shall commence.

GO Tribe & Jays !!!

10. Jacquie

Well the Jays took the series from Atlanta with a 1-0 victory this afternoon. The Jays finished off inter league play with a 8-10 record. Not bad when you consider how they were playing there for a bit. Burnett got the win, Downs the hold and Ryan the save :) They are now off to the left coast for games against Seattle and Anaheim.

Last seen the Indians were losing to Cincinnati 9-3 in the top of the ninth :scream:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  11. Destiny

Congrats on the win.
    Yeah but it ended Tribe 5 - Cin 9 oh well I know I should be upset but interleague is officially over for us and now we can go back to trying to beat the heck out of our own division.

We start with CWS Monday, Pitching matchups.
    Jeremy Sowers, (0-3, 5.97) vs Gavin Floyd, (8-4, 3.39)
    Cliff Lee, (11-1, 2.34) vs John Danks, (5-4, 2.62)
    C.C. Sabathia, (6-8, 3.78) vs Jose Contreras, (7-6, 3.99)

The Jays start with Sea Monday, Pitching matchups
    Roy Halladay, (8-6, 3.12) vs R.A. Dickey, (2-3, 4.79)
    Jesse Litsch, (8-4, 3.82) vs Felix Hernandez, (6-5, 2.83)
    Dustin McGowan, (6-6, 4.26) vs Jarrod Washburn, (3-7, 5.23)

12. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Well I nearly fainted when the game came to an end and the Jays came out on top. Seems like Cito and his staff are having some kind of an effect on the rest of the team. And I'm super pleased with the performance of my other main man John McDonald. He played awesome! Way to back Rolen up and make the outstanding throw to first to get the out! :thumbsup:

13. Destiny

Tribe Recalls Tom Mastney for Scott Elarton who was placed on restricted list for "personal reasons. "Elarton accompanied the team to Chicago after Sunday's loss to the Reds. He talked to manager Eric Wedge on Monday and returned to Cleveland the same day."

The thing is restrictive can mean alot of things, violation (drugs, drinking, arrest, etc), illness/death in the family, or many other problems. Either way I wish him the best and hope to have him back soon. ETA: As to Elarton there was no further info beyond that he called the manager and they said it was personal.

Tribe v CWS:
    Game 1: Tribe 7 - CWS 9

Okay we lost and yet I am happy, wierd much? the fact is we led 1-0 in the first, then Sowers (god send him back to the minors) sucked he managed to give up 8 runs in the course of 3 innings. But slow and steady we came back with doubles and one homer (solo). Peralta was the only member who was 5 for 5 on the night.

Poor Tom Mastney (the guy mentioned above recalled) he got the call, hopped a plane, landed, got to the park (we think after the game started), got changed, stretched for about five minutes, warmed up for an inning and promptly went out and threw 3 innings of work, giving up two singles and one solo homer.
    I mean I don't even know if this guy had time to eat dinner or go to the bathroom, cause the announcers on STO said they didn't see him before the game.

Tonight the offense didn't go quietly, they didn't give up, they fought, scratched and clawed, they were down to their fineal out if he would have made it on base that would have been the tieing run, but he ended up flying out to right. The Bullpen Mujica came in for Sowers for an inning, which allowed Mastney to warm up, then he came in went three innings, then Browoski came in to get some work, they held them to no more then the 9 runs.

Here is hoping tomorrow is proving the heart of this team is in it. I just hate the fact that Wedge said this road trip with the Sox, Twins & Tigers was a make it or break it trip. They are just coming back from Interleague, 8 games will show what they are made of... UGGG!!!!

Go Tribe & Jays !!!!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  14. Jacquie

Well Destiny I sorry the Tribe lost but the Jays won :) They beat the Mariners 2-0. Halladay went the distance for his 5th complete game of the season and his 10th career shutout. His last shutout was against the Mariners in June 2007. Halladay only needed the outfielders for 2 plays :) and that means the Doc was on the ball :) Eckstein and Wells scored the runs for Toronto. Hopefully the offense will find a bit more power tonight :)

15. Destiny

Well the CWS took the early lead 1-0, then we tied it 1-1, then we got the lead 2-1, then Jobo blew the save and tied it, 2-2 then promptly gave up a long single and promptly we lost the game. Tribe 2 - CWS 3, they have the series, tomorrow who knows what it will be.

Thing is I can't blame it all on Jobo with that homer, Francisco reached up for the ball, if he would have jumped for it, the possibility of catching it would have been good. I swear no matter where you look some are like well he is a good defensive player, a good bat, I personally am not seeing it, sure he started out good in both, but at the bat he hasn't either figured out that pitchers have adjusted to him, or he doesn't care. Not to mention that added excuse that he is a young player, first he has been playing since he was seven, second this isn't his first rodeo up with us, so none of that holds water in my eyes. Choo isn't any better either, and his body language gives off that "I am for me, your on your own", the chemistry was messed with and now they are paying the price. We are not 11.5 back. For this I do have to blame a bit on the players, but also on Wedge, the last thing they needed was extra pressure.

The media constantly in their faces (or rather what they are hearing) with if they don't start winning it will basically be their fault if CC and possibly others gets traded, then top it off with this road trip (3 with cws, 3 twins, 2 tigers) will be the "make it or break it". :scream: They already had to come back from that dang interleague crap, to play these first place teams (who might I add got there with that Interleague play). *Sigh* I am not giving up on these guys, my idea is if everyone would lay off them, and they would take the pressures off their shoulders and realize they aren't any different (even with the injuries) then last year, and start having fun, they could win more, and play better.

Go Tribe & Jays !!! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.