BASEBALL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Charisma, Jul 24, 2005.

?

Which TV network will you spend the most time watching this fall?

1. The CW

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NBC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ABC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CBS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Cable network, don't watch traditional tv, ect.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

:guffaw: Tell me about it, Jeremy needless to say unless a miracle occures were swept. Though I have to admit the fact that Laffey last night got a hit straight up the middle for a base hit was awesome, and then his second at bat he flew out to center but it was to the track a little farther and it might have been a good double or a homer. But he had this big smile on his face. But that first AB was his first major league hit. Heck in Interleague thats what I want to see the most.

Now last time vs cin Jeremy fouled off alot of balls and fineally walked. lets hope he can do it again. You know I love the idea of winning the division, or the WS but in all honesty I just love watching the games. But again no one is out of contention. Look at the central we were a couple games above the tigers, they are now in third and were in fourth. But then the ones in first drop a bit and suddenly everyone is back in the running. Its like moving your head side to side watching them going back and forth, move up, move down, move up, up, move down, move up, move down, down, up, etc. Lately I don't pay much attention to stats. No one it is estimated is going to win over the 96 games like the tribe won last season, which is what a lot of fans are hoping for.

I love recently it was said that guys like Dellucci are blocking the younger players, the problem with that, just in interleague alone, Ben Francisco is 1-8 and Franky is 0-3, the basic opinion is that he is a veteran and therefore shouldn't be on the team that only the "younger players" should be on there. Apparently once you hit 30 you are a veteran and you should retire. Well then since at least 1/4 of our team is nearing that 30 mark and a couple are over that 30 mark. if that were the case we wouldn't have the players.

I blame Selig for all this, he screwed up with the steroids, he screwed up with "game pace", he screwed up not looking into maple bats sooner, and fineally we know he will screw up with the instant replay that is suppost to start in August. He schedules these games, instead of playing teams equally all teams have at least on in which they play more then any other I believe we play the tigers like 16-18 games... Again I just watch for the games anymore the injuries and crap like for all teams have rendered all teams screwy. :lol:

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Instant replay. Oh give me a break. Now I know why I'm really starting to lose interest in baseball. If you're going to introduce something as stupid as that do it at the beginning of the season not at the end!

Oh and don't get me started on other bright ideas Selig has come up with. How about the mess called the All-Star game. And then you have the World Series. What was wrong with alternating years to host the game.

Runs off to look at pics of Nick and George to calm myself down :)

3. Destiny

I do agree about implamenting it full time at the end of the season not so smart. If you want to test it out on HR's so that it could go into full affect the next season then okay why not. If it works well all will be ready, if it has glitches then they can be smoothed out, but if in the end it doesn't work well, at least they tried. So I don't mind Instant replay for things like is it a HR, Foul, or Double. But leave it alone for other things.

All star game, now that is a farce, especially the voting, people are stuffing the ballots using multiple emails, to get players in. As to the WS yeah I say if you win one year, then you can not play to win the next year. This way it gives other teams a chance to try. This isn't meant to deminish that team, but its a chance for others to get in on it. Selig is sludge lol. Top that off they extended his contract.

What gets me is the fact that while BB is a business, someone kidnapped the FUN of it. I get passion, I get competition, but I also notice that players are so uptight that when they pitch or bat they are bad, but when they are loose and laughing they hit. Heck now its going around the media (a good example) about Sabathia, that if the team doesn't start winning then they will lose CC. Well shoot with all the pressures they already have heaving that on their shoulders doesn't help them.

Obiviously you know by now I am for mixing of ages in the field, if you have a veteran and you have a younger adult, play them let them learn from the veteran, so that when the pressure comes they can turn to them and say help, or if the veteran is having a problem they can turn to the kid and say what do you think, they help each other out. Heck with the tribe most the fans consider anyone 30 or older a veteran who should be retired. (Gee this 34 yr thanks them lol) But I checked on the Indians we have 13 people who are 30 or older and the oldest is Byrd at 37. The Jays (going off the 40 man roster) have about 19 people 30 or older, the oldest being Stairs at 40 (figure anyone born from 1978 back). Now that includes Pitchers, catchers, players.

Speaking of the Jays, WTH was with JP and Dunn? a manager just going off on a player on another team he doesn't know WOW. They might be calling for his head to send it to a shrink. *blink*.

We don't play until 9 tonight so I have nothing to give you about us. Other then to say that Laffey smiling yesterday when he got his first major league hit up the center, was priceless. I think again the only thing about interleague I do like is the smiles I see when the pitchers (who probably couldn't hit a fly with a swatter) give it the good old try and that look of "I can't believe I got to do that". That makes to me the loss a little better. Because that is honest FUN! What all the players could learn a lesson on. ;)

4. Jacquie

Destiny I hadn't seen the article about Ricciardi and Dunn. That's all we need is another player from another team getting their revenge. And speaking of revenge Dave Bush took his revenge out on the Jays this afternoon. He pitched a no hitter into the 8th. The Brewers led 8-0 before the Jays came back with 1 in the 8th and 6 in the 9th. We go to Pittsburgh to see if we can lose there :)

Go Tribe and if they feel like playing baseball Go Jays :)

5. Destiny

:lol: see if we can lose there. Like that one.

While your in Pitts, say hay to Jason Michaels (recent former Indian), he wasn't doing to bad then he came back down to earth. :lol:

Well from what I understand Dunn, doesn't plan to take revenge against the players since he knows they are not responsible for what JP says, he just plans to play as he normally would. Which is good for you all.

We have the pitcher from hell...o tonight, sowers, just one of a couple pitchers who want the lead, get it and promptly give it up. Hey maybe we can try reverse, we keep saying, OMG that batter, he isn't going to get a hit. Sure it could be true and he won't but, it could work. :guffaw:

Do you notice a pattern, when we, or you guys lose the other does, when we or you guys win the other does... its really distrubing lol. But misery and happiness love company. :D

GO T & J !!!! :thumbsup:

ETA: Game 3: Tribe 3 - COL 6 they left the brooms and brought in the vaccumes.

Adding in also it seems that JP calmed down Jays GM apologizes for criticizing Reds OF Dunn.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  6. Jacquie

This season is turning out to be a Mess for the Jays. Headlines in one of today's papers- Jays Are Toast. Yup I got to agree on that. Ricciardi will be in Pittsburgh this weekend to look at things which will probably mean a manager change. You can't fire the players so it's the manager that gets it. The Jays have lost 6 straight series, dropping 12 of 17 games :censored: They are 10 and a half games back of Boston but I guess I could look on the bright side of things and that if we were in the Central Division they'd be tied for 3rd :guffaw:

Roy Halladay is on the mound tonight and goes up against Zach Duke for Pittsburgh.

Also in yesterday's mess Prince Feilder had a inside the park homer. He was helped in the cause by a big time booboo by Alex Rios.

7. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

I've been observing the Jays situation with some dismay - them being in the same division as my team. They were doing fairly well at the beginning of the season. Suddenly it all seems to have gone a little pear-shaped.

Also, word on their official site is that Gibbons has been dismissed - Gaston is back at the helm.

At least it's not of the epic fail that was the Willie Randolph shit at the beginning of the week - proving once again that the Mets have all the class of a Triple-A team at clown college.

8. Jacquie

Thanks for the input origin-nknwn :) There will be a party in Toronto tonight and not just with the players. There has always been a lot of respect for Cito Gaston. Not only was Gibbons fired but the whole coaching staff got the heave ho. I'm sorry to see 1st base coach Ernie Whit go as he was an original Jay but that is the name of the game. This will be Gaston's second go round with managing the Jays. He was the manager when the Jays won their World Series titles back in 1992 and 1993 :)

Blue Jays fire John Gibbons and hire Cito Gaston

This is the third manager fired this week. Who will be next :eek:

Go Jays and Tribe :)

9. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

I'm surprised to see they've sacked the whole coaching staff too - especially Ernie. As you said though, that's how the game is sometimes.

The Mariners firing McLaren didn't surprise me in the slightest. They are currently the worst team in the whole of the Majors.

Speaking of Majors...let's just talk MiLB for a minute. Anyone see the joke with the ambidextrous pitcher and the switch hitter at SI Yankees? That shit is funny. On the MLB site at the moment if anyone is interested...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  10. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I'm glad the head office for the Jays finally decided to clean house sort of speak, getting rid of Gibbons. And it's awesome that Cito Gaston is back at the helm. :bolian:

Gibbons reminded me lately, of someone who was there just for the pay cheque and not for the team. He just didn't seem to have the heart nor the desire to work with the team. I dunno, I can't really describe exactly how I felt about it. I'm just glad this was done before it got to late into the season.

So now I am going to cross my fingers and hope for the best under Gaston's guidance......I just hope he gives my guy Dustin McGowan the chance to showcase his talent as a pitcher. Gibbons often pulled him the minute he got into a bit of trouble...rarely giving him a chance to get over the hump.

11. Destiny

Game 1: Tribe 6 - Dodgers 4
    Game 2:

Game 1 summery: Two on, two outs tied 4-4, and Jhonny Peralta who is batting about .183 RISP Hit a DOUBLE! and scored Ryan and Franky.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  12. Jacquie

Well at least one of the teams won :) Mind you going into the 12th scoreless is a lot better than the Jays have done in a while :) Final score Pittsburgh 1 Toronto 0. The one run was scored on a fielding error by MacDonald :scream: Mind you I think I would rather have a fielding error than a bases loaded walk.

13. Destiny

Game 1: Tribe 6 - Dodgers 4
    Game 2: Tribe 7 - Dodgers 2

Game 1 summery: Two on, two outs tied 4-4, and Jhonny Peralta who is batting about .183 RISP Hit a DOUBLE! and scored Ryan and Franky. BTW this was done in the 10th.

Game 2 Summery: 0-0 until the third when CC hit a 440 lead off HR then all was quiet until they tied it, then we came back, and we decided apparently we didn't like 10 innings, we like 11 innings instead lol cause thats when things started jumping.
    Carroll Singles, Francisco singles, Garko out (one out), Peralta Singles (scores carroll), Blake singles (Scores Francisco), Choo walks (Bases loaded) Shoppach singles (Peralta & Blake score), Velandia (backup SS) Walks (Bases loaded), Sizemore singles (scores Choo), Carroll Sac Fly into double play but not before Shoppach Scores (out two and three).

Go figure the inning started with Carroll and ended with him, and Peralta apparently liked being the hero and getting the scoring underway that he did it again. :lol: OHHH on another note, according to the temp it was listed as 97 degrees when they started but the gage on the field was said to be around 120 with some shade on it. OY!

I am sorry to hear about the Jays, dangit. I know they have it in them to get through this, and break out, I mean look at the tribe... were up, were down, then we make like a yo yo and bounce. :D

Game 3: Paul Byrd, RHP (3-7, 5.21) Vs Chad Billingsley, RHP (5-7, 3.54)

GO T & J !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

14. Jacquie

A miracle has finally happened. The Jays won a game :D They snapped a 7 game losing streak and beat Pittsburgh this afternoon 8-5 :) Dustin McGowan got the win and BJ Ryan got his 15th save of the season by pitching the ninth.

More pitching woes for Toronto. Starter Shawn Marcum was placed on the 15 day DL with a sore elbow. Brandon League has been recalled from Triple A to replace him on the roster. Kevin Mench was demoted to Syracuse (Triple A team) and Adam Lind was recalled to take his place. Lind had a homer in todays game :)

The Jays are off Monday and start a home series with Cincinnati on Tuesday.

Go Jays and Tribe :)

15. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

I hope you guys have better luck with the Reds than we did... :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.