Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Re: Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

What's next? Camera operators threaten to strike? Sound department? Editors? Make-up? Wardrobe? Gophers (assistants that go for coffee, etc.)?

2. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

well looking at the post strike tv ratings, they can't afford another strike. Hollywood needs a good dose of reality...

3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Things are not looking too promising according to this article on Yahoo news

4. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

So they're actually going to do this. They're actually going to strike. And from where I'm sitting, it kinda looks like that's been their goal the whole time. Greedy bastards. They just wanna one up the writers. Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again; they're not gonna get the sympathy of the viewers this time around. This is gonna backfire on them.

I know the article says that there wouldn't necessarily be an immediate work stoppage if a deal isn't reached by June 30th, but it doesn't elaborate. Does anyone know what that means? Who would get to keep working? Would the writers keep writing even though there were no actors to protray what they wrote, like the actors kept acting when the writers stopped writing?

5. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

The fact that they haven't looked for a strike authorization vote is the only thing that gives me hope that they'll see sense.

Regarding 'no immediate work stoppage', I'm guessing that that means that the actors will keep working until an official strike is called. Which means that production won't stop. Except that a lot of production, mainly films, will have already stopped by then or simply not started. A lot of TV shows have filmed extra episodes already, so as to have a head start if the strike overlaps with their usual summer start date. But I've heard that some movies have simply postponed production so as not to be stuck half finished.

As for writers, it'll depend on their contracts and what the studios want them to do. The writers will likely keep writing as long as there's the possibility of getting back to work, but they probably won't want to build up too big a stash of scripts, otherwise they'd be writing themselves out of a job!

I think the actors would have more support for a strike if the writers hadn't already had theirs. But as it is, surely the head guys at the SAG can't be so stupid that they think they'll have public support for a second strike in a year?

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Well, at least we are benefiting from this.

7. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

it looks like they are just trying a scare-tactic on AMPTP. threatening to strike during negotiations is one thing, but going public with it has more strength.

right now i'm tired of all this, and i'm starting to not care about it anymore. the shows will air? ok, i may watch some. there won't be any? oh well, whatever. i think more and more people think this way especially when the times of shows being watched religiously are slowly passing. nobody is going nuts for them anymore, and if they continue to piss people off like this, they're not gonna earn much money anyway. i'm just saying.

8. Danny Caine

Danny Caine Misha's Minion Premium Member

They just came back from a strike, now we gotta deal with another impending strike? great, just great.

9. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Here are a few more links, Strikes stink, but I am siding with the ever "there is middle ground" George Clooney, he seems to really want everyone to figured and worked out.

Source: Yahoo.com
    June 26: George Clooney Offers Two Cents to SAG, AFTRA
    June 29: Strike 2? Hollywood braces for actor walkout
    June 30: Strike Deadline Looms for Hollywood Actors
    June 30: SAG president doesn't want to hear strike talk

Source: TvGuide.com
    Strike Watch: As Midnight Deadline Looms, SAG Prez Downplays Walkout Talks

Source: LaTimes.com
    Screen Actors Guild aims to thwart AFTRA contract with studios

10. Dizzney

Well I'm not sure what this will mean but I am thinking it is not good for what SAG wants.
    AFTRA ratifies contract

11. Destiny

12. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

signing a deal by AFTRA might not be the best news for SAG but it's a step forward in this whole issue. as much as i want the actors to get what they want, i'm glad the end of negotiations is slowly showing itself on the horizon.

13. Dizzney

Hmm it does not look like this thing is ending any time soon now.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080727/en_nm/actors_hollywood_dc_1

14. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

From http://cbs2.com/entertainment/Studios.Actors.Negotiations.2.868732.html

15. Destiny

Gee round 30? I've lost count. Anyway snip from all three..

"The Screen Actors Guild said today it will ask its members to authorize a strike after its first contract talks in four months with Hollywood studios failed despite the help of a federal mediator."

"SAG is seeking union coverage for all Internet-only productions regardless of budget and residual payments for Internet productions replayed online, as well as continued actor protections during work stoppages. But the AMPTP said it was untenable for SAG to demand a better deal than what writers, directors and another actors union accepted earlier in the year, especially now that the economy has worsened."

You can read the rest at any of three links below.

"Actors Guild Pushes for Strike as Talks with Hollywood Studios Fail" - From Foxnews.
    "Hollywood actors guild to seek strike" - From Yahoo News.
    "Hollywood actors guild to seek strike" - From LA Times.

"SAG, AMPTP talks fail: actors' strike coming?" - From EW.com

Excerpt from EW.com link: "Critical issues unique to actors remain in dispute," according to a union statement. "We have already made difficult decisions and sacrifices in an attempt to reach an agreement. Now it's time for the SAG members to stand united and empower the national negotiating committee to bargain with the strength of a possible work stoppage behind them."

Given the country's deepening recession, it seems unlikely the membership would favor another crippling strike—especially going into awards season. Another work stoppage could result in the cancellation of the Golden Globes, which was already reduced to a cheesy press conference earlier this year because of the 100-day writers' strike. No timeline has been set for the mailing or return of strike authorization ballots."