Dear Writers... (Have something you want to say?)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 27, 2007.

1. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

Before I start I just want to say that I am not attacking anyones opinion that I have read here, that is not my intention, my gripe is with the writers not those that see things differently to me.

In regards to D/L. If you wanted to break them up fine, but obviously that wasn't your intention, you told the D/L fans they "wouldn't be disappointed", "would be quiet pleased" with how the season ended for them, then sc***ed them over by giving them nothing, not even the apparent "emotional turn" (which imo was meant to be a breakup scene). My question are, how are you going to fix it? And why did you suddenly change direction? You exposed the characters feelings, are you going to have Lindsay say something stupid like " I only loved you as a friend" or make Danny look like he was playing with Lindsay's emotions by changing his mind about Lindsay because Rikki left.

And leaving it until season 5 to resolve the D/L stuff makes the characters look silly IMO, why would they, after the phone call in episode 19 wait that long to make a decision about their relationship.

It seems every significant moment between D and L gets cut. Which usually results in Lindsay looking stupid or makes her look like she doesn't really care about Danny. I have to ask myself why this is the case.

Do you only listen to a certain group of fans? Does no-one else's opinions matter. Because it's seeming more and more likely thats the case!!

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Who's opinion do you think they listen to exactly? I'm just curious. It seems like there was a middle ground this season. Detractors of the pairing got a pretty significant bump in the relationship in the form of Danny actually sleeping with someone else. Fans of the pairing got to see them make up. It seems to me that both sides got something.

3. eveninstarz14

eveninstarz14 Pathologist

To me it seemed more of the fans of the pair were more upset with the confusing path they took. Don't get me wrong, as a fan, I liked Personal Foul (was that where your make up which you were referring to Top was?) a lot but I didn't see the make up that we were promised (?) if that is what we were supposed to be happy with :confused: *sigh* I am not making any sense am I?

If anything I was more confused with the direction Danny and Lindsay were taking after that episode. But my personal opinion was that the writers realized they stink at personal drama and thought the best way to solve it was to completely ignore it :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  4. Top41

Yeah, that was the episode I was referring to. I guess I'm not sure what could have happened beyond that. Danny apologized and apparently wanted to move forward. Lindsay forgave him. I think it was ambiguous in the sense that she never found out he slept with someone else, and we don't know whether or not they were really dating before that, but I think had the show gone into either of those things, there would have been no happy resolution.

LOL, I think you're right. Their little "bump" turned out to be a pretty big thing, and I think to fix things between the two, it had to be rather hastily and shoddily smoothed over.

5. Caprian

Caprian Hit and Run

Dear Melanie33,

Would you be so kind us to tell on who's opinion did you react this way?
    I'm just curious.

If it was mine...

You absolutely have the right to differ from me about the D/L thing but why do you accuse and calling me to account in this way? I do not like it.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

I didn't told the D/L fans anything. I just told I don't like Danny and Lindsay together because this relationship changed Danny (as every r'ship change a person) and I don't really like 'new' Danny.

Change direction? Hm? :confused: Don't really have a clue what are you talking about cos I never liked D/L nor Lindsay.

Finally, and it comes from my lines above I DO NOT listen to only one certain group. Why would I? Okay, there are people who like D/L. This is their business. I don't like them. If your problem is that I do not hide my opinion about Danny and Lindsay then it is your individual social problem. I won't change my opinion depending on the threads and topic I write in. It wouldn't be wise or right.

6. Top41

^I think melanie33 is addressing the writers, not you, Caprian. :)

7. Caprian

Caprian Hit and Run

If the case is this, I'M SO SORRY Melanie33!!!
    Don't be angry with me, please. :angel::angel::angel:

8. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Dear Writers,

Please, please please drop D/L. It made Lindsay come across as whiny, self-centered (maybe she was always a bit self-centered as a character, but D/L really brought it out) and unprofessional and Danny come across as minus balls and unprofessional. It brought out unattractive traits very strongly in both characters. While I commend you showing that they do have flaws, there are other ways to do it. Danny/Lindsay is like something out of the OC etc, they don't act like adults in their thirties, they act like teens. Also, D/L robbed both characters of the opportunity for individual development. The Ruben Sandoval storyline and Danny/Rikki thing was excellent personal development for Danny, and was only marred by the attempt to involve D/L. Likewise, Lindsay has MUCH better chemistry (IMO) with Mac and Stella, and her character would really benefit from more interaction with these two rather than Danny.

Please stop with the Montana nickname/references for Lindsay. A lot of people in NYC are not from there. Mac is from Chicago, but we don't get reminded of that every ep. We know Lindsay's from Montana, okay?

There are 3 people in the show called Hawkes, Flack and Adam. Please use them! While I love Mac, Stella and Danny, they do tend to get the lion's share of storylines. Hill Harper, Eddie Cahill and AJ Buckley are incredibly talented actors who shine even in their underused roles at the moment. It would be wonderful if you gave each of these characters an ep or storyline of their own. That said, kudos to you for the Hawkes storyline in Mrs Azarael and the Flack storyline in Consequences (though that was more Mac's ep). More storylines like that would be excellent.

I know you got rid of the gritty feel of s1 and lightened up the show, and that was a good thing. But the storylines are getting a bit too light. Please bring back some of the old grittiness of s1 - the Ruben Sandoval storyline was excellent, similar in grittiness to s1. More storylines like that would be very welcome. Also, it is all right for you to have people from different cultures, social classes and people of different sexual preference be suspects or victims. If you have some poor black gay person be a killer or victim, we will not think you politically incorrect. Please reduce the amount of beautiful, wealthy, white folk getting killed, NYC is so much more than that. Also, NYC is more than Manhattan. Have some cases in Staten Island (*cough* opportunity to bring back Louie or bring in Danny's family *cough*), Brooklyn, the Bronx. When you film in NYC, why not film in these other boroughs?

I would like to say despite all of the above points that I love CSI NY. It is by far the best of the 3 shows in terms of character development, and has earned it's position as second out of the 3 shows in popularity.

9. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

Dear Writers...

Much of what I'd like to point out was said already, so I'd just add that really some of the characters' storylines are turning quickly into soap operas. I'm not talking only about that pitiable D/L 'romance' but also about the amount of unhappy/traumatic/dangerous events that Mac, Stella and Danny took part in. Really, it's quite improbable that one person would have such bad luck as Mac for example: he lost his wife, was taken hostage, almost killed in that extremely complicated 333 plot, almost lost his stepson in a cabbie killer story, almost lost his job when the murderer-whose-name-I forgot jumped off the roof and so on ... with Stella we have terrible luck with boyfriends, HIV scare and arson. Danny also was definitely an unlucky man (to mention only Louie and Ruben). Please let those characters rest for a while - though I can't really see it happening with Mac rumoured to be on a hijacked plane very soon :/ and give some screentime to others (especially Adam and Sid, they're the only ones left without a serious storyline). OK, Sid almost died, but that's not the kind of plot I'm talking about and anyway, the episode was more Stella-centred. Hawkes had two episodes (And here's to you... and Raising Shane) but it's still painfully little compared to Danny, for example. Coming back to Danny and Lindsay... Well, definitely please take them both back to season 2 and it will be great, you messed up with those characters enough. About their relationship - I can't really decide whether it's better they break up or stay together but whichever option you take, no more angst please! And we don't have to see them actually breaking up - it's enough if Danny mention it to Flack or Lindsay to Hawkes. You can inform us they are together in a similar way. Oh, and if you choose the second option - let that relationship last (unobtrusively) for a while, and let the audience concentrate on something else than D/L problems. I, for myself, would be really grateful if you pay more attention to crimes that love stories :)

10. LME

LME Police Officer

Dear writers

I am not sure if you every read this or not, but I will just say it anyway. I know it is sappy, but after all the angst of last season it would be nice to see a happy relationship in CSI NY (Or any CSI for that matter). I know that it is a pliot and character driven show and not some kind of RomCom but in really life people do met at work and fall in love and do live quite happy lives.

I know that the show need drama and I admit I do like Danny and Lindsay as a couple. I think the two of them have been a great deal of pain in the last few years and deserve a little happiness

At the start of Season 4 I enjoyed it but as it went on I wondered just how much pain do you want these people to go through, or are you trying to get them to loss the marbles completely.

Some kind of resolution to D/L would be good, because I (and maybe quite a lot of peaople) am totally confused.

Please bring a bit of happiness back to the show.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  11. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Dear writers,

please don't start new (and long) storylines and forget about the ones you already started. This time I'm talking about Louie. He is Danny's brother, isn't he? And the epi he was attacked in was in season 2. Why do we still not know what happened to him? Last season we got the very, very long 333 caller storyline and after that four episodes were spent for the Ruben/Rikki storyline. In my opinion it would have been nice if you had continued with answering questions about Louie instead of starting two new storylines. So please, don't wait another whole season.

And please don't forget Lindsay and Hawkes. They're regulars, and they could have more screentime, in and outside of the lab.

12. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

Dear writters,

I would like to ask you to stop trying to ride two horses with one ass. it is not working and after watching CSI NY for 3 years I thought you knew better. unfortunetely S4 proved me wrong.

you cant make every single fan happy so stop trying. make a decision and stick to it. dont throw around random bones (such as DL in SD, SMacked here and there, Danny/Flack on ocassions, and so on) like we are starving dogs. the boys taking turns in chasing suspects in every episode will not make up for weak story lines though some fans may think differently.

you proved you can handle private lifes of the CSIs well so please do so again. we have enough drama in their professional lives. most of the private angst is unecessary and truly after several repetitions it gets boring.

come up with interesting cases and let the poor folk - and us, take a little breather.

thank you

Carly

13. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Former Dear Peter and Producers:
    i only wanted to say i expected with such happiness Season 5 and now i only wants it ends right before the start :(

We were going to celebrate the 100 th episode but it's a vanished dream now

we have been faithful to the show. We have to swallow more than once when we watched Stella and Mac with other people. And now we will have re runs of the "Dark times" in Season 5
    I'd like to ask you WHY

I feel dissapointed. At least you should have kept them single and alone until Season 9 :( (That wasn't too much to ask :(

Debbie :(

14. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

Dear Writers:

I could not have said it better myself! We would LOVE to see more Flack. He's a great character, and he needs to shine!

Thank you!

15. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

- no more woebegone Lindsay
    - return of season 2 Lindsay (give the girl some action)
    - return of D/L banter, less of the drama
    - give Hawkes a little lovin'
    - send Adam out into the field - potential hilarious moments, particularly if he's with Danny and Flack
    - Less Mac and Stella personal storylines, more personal stuff for the others - don't forget the rest of the cast