Character or Crime?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by adorelo, Jun 2, 2008.

?

Where should the focus be?

1. Less character development, more crime.

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. More character development, less crime.

11 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. An equal balance of both.

73 vote(s)
    74.5%
  4. I really don't care.

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. AnJella

AnJella CSI Level One

An equal balance of both.

To see more "chara" is pretty entertaining, but it's called CRIME scene investigation, so the crime shouldn't be forgotten.:bolian:

2. steph_r

steph_r Witness

I like how Vegas has pretty much always done it. Focuses on the crime, but gives us ther occasional glimpse at some of the characters' personal lives.

3. mimefan

mimefan Dead on Arrival

I voted more crime because I like stuff where there's a whole bunch of victims.

4. DonFlackLuvr

DonFlackLuvr Dead on Arrival

I say an equal balance of both.. I like the crime, I wouldn't watch the shows if I didn't.. but I also like a lot of character development.. so more of both is good for me..

5. Gravity

Gravity Witness

Equal balance of both.

I love the crime but I do like to see characters develop over time and what their life is like outside the office.

6. MelC

MelC Police Officer

I think an equal balance of both... I want crime definately, because if I dont, I'll be switching to Grey's or some other series instead. But at the same time, I want to know the characters. Not just to know about the characters, but stuff like what makes the characters act that way.. etc. Character development has to be consistent throughout the series, otherwise the whole "pick it up and drop" storyline is just annoying...

7. CSIvela

CSIvela Hit and Run

Sure, but pure crime gets boring. I like how there's character development too.

8. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

I voted for an equal balance of both crime and character development. Balance is always good, and I think if all the three shows were able to find that balance, we wouldn't have to roll our eyes at some of their storylines.

The crime is the base of the franchise. I wouldn't be watching it for all these seasons if the crime storylines hadn't caught my attention in the beginning. The lab tecniques, the forensic science, the criminal behaviour, etc are interesting, and it wouldn't be CSI if that wasn't there.

But at the same time, as you keep watching those characters for years, you want to know more about them. You want to find out why they act the way they do, what in their background makes them who they are. Because if you only want to discover the crime scene, you can turn to Discovery Channel and watch their documentaries. But I feel like CSI has to be more than that to run on air for such long time.

Especifically, I always thought CSI was the most loyal to the crime-based storyline idea of the three. It was more focused on that from the beginning, starting to explore their characters slower and in a sensible way. As we progressed, they have changed that just a little bit, but I still feel like they have an ok balance, maybe even more crime related than not.

CSI:NY has, in my opinion, always had a great balance. I like how they seem to focus on the characters a bit more than CSI, yet they don't go too far with it. They do have character development episodes, but I feel like it's done in an interesting way.

I'm ok with both of them, and definitely interested in watching. But...

CSI:Miami has always been the closest to soap-opera one. In the first 3 seasons, perhaps even on the 4th, it wasn't as blunt, it was a different style from CSI, yet still convincing as a crime show. But now, honestly, the show has lost something, or maybe added too much of something else. It seems like the writers need to get back on track and find that balance that is certainly missing. And especially, I feel like the lack of continuity, adding to their not-far-from-ridiculous-whoa! storylines, reflect themselves on my interest for the show.

^And that makes me want to scream for some more crime on Miami, and leave the guys alone for a while. Let them have a simple day doing their job, no worries other than finding a matching DNA. And then once in a while, go deeper in their feelings, so that there is a good balance in the end.

9. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

voted for a balance of both. there can exist both character drama and crime drama if done right.

with CSI we had to wait a while to get some personal drama. that was understandable b/c it was more focused on the crimes than the characters. that balance was very good and very interesting.

CSI:NY balanced the character and crime drama very very well up until this past year.

with CSI:NY i felt at the begining that it was personal but not so much so in your face, the crimes were still front and center as it should be. but on the other hand having this show be a bit more personal than the other two has created some problems and been a let down in some areas.

basically for me if the balance can be done right then it can happen. if not keep the focus on the crimes, i don't put on a CSI show expectng a soap opera.

10. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

voted for an equal balance of both crime and character development. Though there's a big difference in the shows

well i stopped watching CSI because that whole GSR thing, it freaked me out and got boring with season 7

csi:miami. it deffinetly turned into a soap opera all the stories like ryan and erica, H and mirisol, cal and jacke. though it was a little fun, but those stories had way too much screentime. oh i forgot eric/ryan and natalia. that really sounds like a soap opera: everyone is dating the other one, and in the end no one really gets hurt.

csi:ny, csi ny had and still has a great balance

11. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

Personally, for me, it has to be about both. Cause a drama cant only be about murder/death (natruals), suicide/rape/other violence/non violent crime.

For a long running show, it just doesnt work.

Neither does a show all about the characters and nothing about the crime etc. Look at how 24- which I toally love. If every scene was about Jack Bauers private life it wouldnt be half as successful as it is.

A top show, a top drama- that remains top- needs to blend both.

CSI miami- aww thats is just verging on the soap opera...LOL its funny though i like it, but for me it dont compare to Vegas or NY.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  12. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

I kind of agree with you candygirl. Although I loved CSI at the beginning because it was not all about their relationships outside the lab. I was so feed up with TV shows with the sole reason of getting their characters into relationships with one another.

But after a while (after I got to know and love the characters) I wanted to know a bit more about their lives outside the lab.
    I think Las Vegas does a pretty good job balancing crime and character studies.
    As you've already mentioned Miami is almost soap-like and NY is on it's way there, too in my opinion.

I'm just afraid that too much drama will interfere with the characters and turn them into people I don't like anymore. That's why I'm still on the fence with Sara. She's a great character but the constant pining over Grissom ...:rolleyes:

So, I hope there was a point in there somewhere :lol:

13. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

I agree with Dani. I voted for an equal amount of both.

I like all three shows, and feel that NY and Vegas have done the best jobs of sticking to the crime aspect. I don't watch NY as often as the others, however, because I fell in love with the characters on Miami and Vegas- so character development does matter to me. I love it when Vegas delves into the personal lives of the CSIs, especially because they're usually sticking to crime, and on the occasions when they do focus on characters, they do it well. From what I have seen of NY, they also do a wonderful job of integrating character development into their episodes. 'Charge of this Post' was one of the best episodes of any CSI I've ever seen, and it focused on Mac and his past.

At this point, I only watch Miami for the characters- which is a HUGE problem, but also shows how important developing the characters can be. Miami was great for the first three seasons- somewhere along the way in season four they lost it, and began to delve too deeply into Horatio and his demons. It has it's moment for me- 'Curse of the Coffin' in season five was one of the best episodes they'd ever done. However, the show got ridiculous, the crimes became major conspiracies to take down Miami, and Horatio ALWAYS manages to save the day by killing whoever leads it. And then we get to see him talk to his son and Julia whatsherface and Ron Saris, threatening to kill him too (because his body count isn't high enough already), for twenty minutes, and then he goes out and shoots someone else and stares at their body for half an hour, and then the episode's over. I still watch for the characters, but there's no forensics anymore! If I want that, I watch Vegas. And Vegas is funny, too.

14. verycool

verycool Victim

I definately think there should be an equal balance of both. As much as its a crime show it would be nice to see the characters developing and portray them not only as csi's but as regular people outside of work.

15. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I said an equal balance of both, with BALANCE being the key word. I think sometimes that some of the crime suffers due to the character stuff like GSr. I also think that other characters' development has suffered due to the GSr stuff. I know lots of people were upset about the way it was introduced at the end of "Way To Go" because it seemed to detract from Brass's storyline. I think other storylines, like the WarrickTina stuff, even some Post GD stuff also suffered due to the GSr.

I know a lot of people are apprehensive of the upcoming season, especially because of the spoilers that are out....I agree. I want to know about the characters, but I want it to be even, and I like it when we learn about them through the cases, like Catherine in "The Finger," Nick in "Grave Danger" and even Sara in her exit arc during Season 8, that kiss notwithstanding. Those were so organically done that we could empathize with the characters involved. That's what I want to see more of. Natural, organic character development that works within the framework of the cases.