Bones *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by allmaple, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Yes, Temperance is certainly an original! :lol: I'm SO glad they didn't base her on the book from Kathy Reichs novels. I read a bunch of them, and after a while I got tired of just how savvy and clever with the wit she ALWAYS was. That and she just happened to always be the one to figure out that obscure clue. I like that Bones has her crew to back her up, and is not a "perfect" creature like the annoying one in Kathy Reich's novels. I would have gotten tired of her quickly.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Yeah, it's like when she says something funny she isn't trying to be witty or funny, she's just being real and it's just something that comes to her naturally. I like that.

3. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Yeah the Temperence Brennan in the book and on TV are very different.

I too prefer the TV version, she so much more kick @ss. The book version is a little more "whimpy" IMO. Less logical and rational too. The TV Brennan is also younger than the book version.

And I much prefer Booth to the book version equivalent Andrew Ryan. Although by all descriptions both book and TV leading men are both hot! :D

But I must say I enjoyed all of Kathy Reichs books. I find it a hoot that on the TV series, Brennan is a best-selling author and her book character is a forensic anthropoligist named Kathy Reichs. But in real life, Kathy Reichs is the real life forensic anthropologist, best-selling author and her book character is Temperance Brennan. :lol:

*points below* check out my new signature banner. CSI_Kat made it for me :D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  4. eveninstarz14

eveninstarz14 Pathologist

The book kind of scared me! :lol: I was into the show before I read one the books. The fact that she had a daughter and was divorced also confused me. So different from the show's character. I also seem to connect more with the show's version too. We both mess up sayings all the time :p

Hrockz I love your banner! So cute!

5. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

I'm going to feel so out of place here. I do, in every respect, LOVE Bones. Especially her ridiculous cultural ineptness. But the thing is, I prefer the book version of Temperance Brennan. She has that illogical side to her that makes her seem a bit more human, in my opinion. Not that it shouldn't be done, because people have every right to do so, but comparing the books with the television series is almost silly, and, to quote a friend, almost unfair to do so. It's like comparing - and this is going to sound like a weird analogy - Justin Timberlake's solo music with his music while with N*Sync. Sure, they have their similarities, but to say that they are meant to be the exact same thing is weird. He didn't go on his own to be compared to his older stuff. He probably did it because he wanted to branch out and do his own thing.

But the thing about the books and the TV show is that they aren't one and the same. The idea for the show is loosely based off of the books (i.e. taking the basic concept of Forensic Anthropology and turning it into prime time entertainment). By no means are the two Temperance Brennans the same person. They have the same name, but their lives are completely different. Tempe in the novels is an alcoholic, separated from her husband, with a daughter. I've read eight of the books, and have learned to keep the TV Tempe separate from the book Tempe. It's not like Harry Potter, where you read the books, and then watch the movie, which is supposed to be as much like the book as possible. Bones is a show with its own characters, save for Temperance. But at the same time, Temperance on the show is a completely different character than Temperance in the books. Completely different life stories, starting from the day they were born.

And, the way the book Tempe is portrayed seems almost as a Mary Sue. But, as you get into the first book, you learn very quickly that she is not. I'm not spoiling anything, but I'll tell you that most Mary Sues will not be alcoholics who almost get killed on multiple occasions. And they definitely do not have Luc Claudels riding their asses all the time, either. They are loved by all, with no flaws. By no means is that Tempe Brennan.

I believe that Kathy Reichs did an incredible job developing her character throughout the eight books I've read. Her relationship with Andrew Ryan has always fascinated with me, and I know that it's because of my shipper heart being completely relentless (I ship real life relationships, for God's sake!). When I'm reading the novels, I don't think I've ever been able to imagine Temperance Brennan as Emily Deschanel, which only goes to prove - in my opinion - that they are two completely different people. And as for the book version being wimpier, I don't see it. She has a better connection with her emotions, which doesn't necessarily make her weaker. It actually makes her a bit more human. The TV version is emotionally detached, hiding them until they build up to the breaking point. The book version doesn't do that anywhere near the extent that the TV version has.

When it comes to comparing Andrew Ryan and Seeley Booth, I kind of have to giggle. I do know that Booth must have been loosely based off of Andrew Ryan, but is nowhere near the same character as him. I could never choose between them, because they are both so wonderful. And besides, that's like comparing David Boreanaz with Eddie Cahill (he's who I imagine as Andrew when I read the novels): You just can't do it without melting in the process (well, at least I can't).

Anyhow, that's my piece. I know it's long winded, but I can't seem to make an opinion without it being that way. If it comes off as an attack, I apologize. That is not how it is meant to be. I'm just stating an opinion.

Amanda Ruth :angel:

6. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Thanks regarding my banner. I love it too :)

^ no worries, you're the post wasn't taken negatively, not by me anyway, and I completely understand. I'm glad someone else has a different opinion about the books.

:lol:I understood that analogy. And I prefer the newer Justin.

Agree. I wasn't saying which Tempe I prefer I know they're completely different, I read all the books too and started off with the books before the TV series too. But it was hte books which made me curious about the show and want to watch it.

But I prefer how the TV Brennan is written. Rarely do you get such a kick @ss female lead on primetime TV. I on the other hand don't like the Brennan with the ex-husband and grown-up daughter idea. And a little too emotional IMO.

I agree though, Kathy Reichs is a great writer.

Me too! Although, not to spoil anything *grouse* I don't like the way the book relationship has gone as of the latest book....

I can't imagine the book Tempe as Emily too. Too different. By whimpier I meant you won't see the book Tempe puching someone or kicking someone in an arrest.

Again yes, they're completely different characters, but I don't know why when I read the description of Andrew Ryan, then I watched Bones, then went back to reading the books, everytime I read about Ryan, the image of Booth pops up in my head. :lol: Maybe it's cos I think David Boreanaz is hot! I prefer Booth and his alpha male tendencies, although I think maybe Ryan has some of it too. I rather like Booth with Parker than Ryan with Lily. But both are great fathers though.

You're free to state opinions on this forum. No apologies needed. And I've always been wanting to have a discussion about the books so nows a good chance :)

7. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

*heaves deep sigh of relief* Good... I thought someone was going to yell at me and give me a piece of their mind. I'm glad to see that other people have read the books (it's rare to find someone who has even heard of them). Speaking of the books... I'VE ONLY READ UP TO CROSS BONES! *thud* I need to get the next, like... four that she's released. I blame it on Iris Johansen, she got me reading her stuff.

Anyhow, I love Bones. And about Zack, I think they jumped the shark with that story line. I think it was so out of character for Zack to become Gormagon's apprentice. The only argument I can think of is that he lost it a bit in Iraq, but I still don't buy it.

8. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Yes, opinions always welcome... on the whole forum, I would hope, but I guess that's not always the case. And it's too bad.

My opinion wasn't so much that we should compare the two Tempes, but rather that I'm happy they didn't go with the one from the books. Unlike yourself, Amanda_Ruth, I do find the book version to be a Mary Sue. I always felt the flaws were even sort of shown as a "cool edge" for the character, and possibly even meant as a foil to anyone saying she's too perfect. I find the fact that Bones is so clueless compared to the book Tempe very refreshing. She's smart, but not such a... I don't know how to put it- a know-it-all, maybe? Her comments don't show a need to be smarter, just that she's fond of presenting things factually. It's not at all self indulgent or affected.

I do agree that while Andrew Ryan was probably in the very least a bit of an outline for Booth, the two aren't any more comparable than the two Temperances.

Don't get me wrong- I really enjoyed the books... at first. :lol: Unfortunately, the formulaic patterns started to get to me after about the fourth or fifth one. I did, however, find the evolution of the relationship between Ryan and Temperance interesting though. The ups and downs keep you reading.

Regardless, I would recommend to anyone to check out the books. They are a good read. Just don't read too many in a row, like I did! It made me too cynical, obviously! :lol:

9. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Oh I see sorry about the above then when I talked about Tempe and Ryan, did I spoil it for you? But like you I'm glad to see someone else in this forum who has read the books.

Zach isn't my fave but I'm still sad to see him go. I always liked his frank innocence. They never explina what happened in Iraq right? I wish they did and maybe war did change him.

I share the same sentiment. Hence I really really like TV Brennan ie Bones.

Yes the ups and downs do keep me reading. Don't you just hate it now in 'Bones to Ashes'? I won't rant anymore about that so that Amanda_Ruth or anyone else who hasn't read till the latest book doesn't get spoiled.

I must admit you're right, it does start to feel like the same patterns after you read a few. Like you I read alot of them in a row. But the Tempe/Ryan relationshsip keeps me wanting to know more.

Speaking of which, any idea when the next book is slated to be published?

Yup! Anyone who's interested should go read the books. I especially liked the first one I can't remember the title was it 'Deja Dead' or 'Monday Mourning'? I liked 'Cross Bones' too.

Somehow I'm having trouble finishing 'Bones to Ashes', I think I'm distracted by the TV Bones. :lol:

10. eveninstarz14

eveninstarz14 Pathologist

Oh, just to add my two cents, Amanda_Ruth, I appreciate your opinion! I guess Kathy Reich's style isn't really for me that is all. And to compare the show and the book is really unfair for both medias.

There is something about Emily Deschanel's performance of Temperance that I really like. She portrays the extremely smart yet socially inept person very well. For some reason it makes her more human in my mind. I guess it was because I had the television version ingrained my mind, it was difficult to open up to the books. Maybe if they had changed the name of the main character? Because when I started to read the book, I had in my mind of Brennan being in her early thirties, against marriage, and had no kids! It was quite a shock to me to see her divorced, pop culture savy, and with a kid in college. :lol:

As for Booth and Ryan...you guys stated it very well! :D

Anyways, that is my spiel, maybe I should attempt the book again (I didn't finish it because...well I think you know why :p)

11. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

Well... on the bit about Andrew Ryan and Seeley Booth... if they were to actually create the character Andrew Ryan, I think every woman in the Bones world would have a heart attack and die. Too much sexy in one show makes for a very difficult viewing.

Just thinking about it makes me drool and fall on the ground. >_<

Oh well. Anyhow, I think both the books and the show are totally incredible, and I would never be able to choose between them. And no one should have to. I think that I was able to separate the books from the show better because I had only seen two episodes of Bones before I decided to start reading the books. But it's usually easier for me to like things because I don't... well... not like anything. I know, it sounds silly, but I have a very eclectic taste in life in general. Guess that's why I'm so politically challenged!

12. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I've heard that the Kathy Reichs "Bones" books are totally different than the TV series, and that most fans of the TV series who've read them don't get them. I bought one for somebody as a gift, they haven't gotten around to reading it yet, though.

I've also heard that Max Allen Collins, who writes a ton of TV show books, a few CSI novels, a few Criminal Minds novels, etc has written a couple based on the TV show that are quite good.

I'd love to check out more from both authors, although, I've looked around and it seems the Kathy Reichs books are hard to find :(

13. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

I couldn't agree more.

You kidding? They already have. David Boreanaz is like the perfect Andrew Ryan in description. But he's the perfect Seeley Booth too. David is like the ultimate stud muffin. Yum! Too sexy!:drool:

Order them online, that's what I do. Or try the library.

14. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

Actually, Andrew Ryan is supposed to have sandy blond hair (I think) and laser blue eyes. That's why I picture Eddie Cahill: Those damn eyes. BUT, I do agree about David Boreanaz. Ultimate stud since Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Shytownmofo, I suggest trying Barnes & Noble or Borders, that's where I found my books. The older ones will be hard to find, but they're still stocked in book stores. Just not at Walmart or any of those stores.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  15. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

You're right about the description. The book Brennan is crazy about Ryan's blue eyes. That's why when I read it, although the image of David Boreanaz pops up in my head, Andrew Ryan also reminds me of Horatio, with the blue eyes. :lol:

Speaking of fave quotes, I liked when Booth told Bones she was "very-well structured." Way to go Booth, great way of explaining to the ever logical Brennan and also telling her that he thinks she' hot. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.