Do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Apr 10, 2008.

?

Do you believe in God and how do you live?

1. I don't believe in God at all.

35.2%
  2. I believe in God and live relgiously.

20.4%
  3. I believe in God, don't live religiously but still ama good person.

44.4%
  1. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

I don't think it can used as an excuse for not having to act yourself. (Well, not if you want to be taken seriously :p) It's been an excuse for not having to answer the question why god couldn't do a better job at this, or why evil exists in the first place.

People use religion as an excuse far too often. I think that as soon as you act in the name of *insert name of god here*, you're on the wrong track. Actions should be taken in your own name because you're the only one responsible for them.

2. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Interesting you mention this. You think one god tells believers to hunt people of different faith? Or you agree me this rather looking like slick interpretation of anti-western religios-leaders?

3. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

No, I think that sometimes people believe that a god told them what to do (whether it's converting people, or having to go to church every Sunday)

Im not sure I fully understand your second question, but my vision is not pointed towards anti-western religious leaders, because all those excuses have been used by every single religion that has ever existed. Judaisme, Christianity, Islam.. You name em, they used them.

4. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Guess you got me. My question was: Let´s say there´s religion A. Leaders of religion A slay everyone who´s of another believe. You think this attitude is real content of religion A?

Or do you think leaders of religion A twist their faith in order to make killers out of their supporters?

Unfortunately it´s already 11:20 p.m. where I live. So gonna answer your answer tomorrow. :)

5. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Lol, yeah. Apparently we live in the same time zone. I was too tired to answer last night. :D

Like I said before somewhere in this thread, religion is something made by mankind in order to practice their faith in group. And yes, sometimes a religous leader can take advantage of the fact that his followers believe him in every word he says. But religion should never be about having to go to war, because then it loses its purpose. Religion itself is not about slaying everyone who's of another belief, it's about feeling protected, feeling safe.

Too bad that this misinterpretation of faith is used far too often. The so called religious wars have never been about religion, let alone faith. They were about territorial gain, financial profits etc.

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

and then back in the old days they could get around this by having gods of war. yet another example of how people have changed to concept of god over time to suit their needs.

not just the physical flaws but our genome is a mess. this is one reason why i cannot believe we were put together this way on purpose. and if there is a designer, its not so much intelligent as incompetent and cruel.

7. misshelgenberger

misshelgenberger Rookie

Well i'm 15 and even though i haven't been through lifes twists and turns i still cannot say that i believe in God. I don't mind anyone who does, i think it great that they have that support of religion, however religion does start to bother me when it turns to violence and preaching, as in you should do this or i hate you because your not my religion. Thats where it crosses the line. My school is Catholic and we often have to pray and attend masses etc, which i don't mind even if it bores me to tears, but then theres the side where they say "if you do things like that why are you in a Catholic school?" and i'm thinking i didn't realli have any choice in the matter, i didn't choose to be baptised, i didn't choose to have my first Holy Communion so why are you asking me that question. Just because you believe doesn't mean everyone you teach should to. Now i also find it hard myself to believe in the bible. I just don't think that it has any meaning, it could of been written by anyone, but thats your opinion and if you believe thats fine with me. I believe in more of the scientific side to things, i'm a nerd:lol: x

8. CSIvela

CSIvela Hit and Run

Yes, I do. I have a more "traditional" view, but certainly not a belligerent one.

9. obsession_360

obsession_360 Coroner

Up until a week ago, my views completely changed. If I offend anyone, mods please warn me.

I believed in God until I ended up in the hospital, staring at death for the second time. If he was there watching over me and protecting me, why did he decide to leave my life up to the doctors? I have made so many mistakes in life, so "learn from your mistakes" no longer works on me.

I'm 19. And my life is such a mess. If he was there watching over me, why wasn't he guiding me?

I'm sorry. But that is what I believe. And don't worry. I never push my beliefs on anyone. :)

10. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

No, I don't believe it God. I've seen and experienced too many bad things happen that I just can't, even though sometimes I wish I did believe in some higher God. Might make some things easier to take and understand. But still I can't. Furthermore, I can't identify with what the Church tells us to do. Some relatives of mine are very religious, but that was never an option for me. I was raised non-religious, and I lived that way. I'm not even baptized ;)
    That doesn't mean that I don't like churches, btw. I just don't like them in the religious way, I loved them for being wonderful pieces of architecture.

11. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

I am a Mormon and proud of it. My family and I are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I believe in God and Jesus Christ. My family is very religious. We go to church every sunday. I go to seminary at 5:30 in the morning during the week.

12. DocInTheBox

DocInTheBox Dead on Arrival

I must say, there's more mature discussion in this forum community than in any other I've seen.

Yes, I do believe in one God. I am a Christian, although not your typical denominational one. I live in a rather diverse community in Alabama. (I know, diverse/Alabama, who'd a thunk?) And while I'd like to think all the stereotypes about religious intolerance here are unfounded and unfair, it sadly isn't really the case. At least not the way I want it to be.

The point I'm trying to make is that where I live, church and religion for most people is just a way to congregate and pass judgement on other people. Back when I went to church, which was pretty often, by the time I was in my teens, all Sunday School was was a chance for all the girls to talk about who was having sex, who was getting drunk, who was doing drugs, and the ones who said it only knew because they were right beside those girls doing it themselves! But they have the nerve to put on their 'Sunday Face', as my father called it, and act all high and mighty for that one day a week. I tried many churches of many denominations, but the case was always the same.

Thus, I no longer attend church. Although I have formed a set of hybrid Catholic/Protestant beliefs through personal prayer and reflection, and I am honestly happy and secure in my religious status. To anyone out there who isn't, my advice is to forego church in favor of the truth, ie the Bible, the Quran, the Torah, or whatever holy scripture chronicles your religion. No one can tell you what you believe. I mean, when it comes down to it, your beliefs should have nothing to do with church, but what you feel in your own mind, body, and soul when you reach out to your own personal God, whoever you recognize him to be if you choose to recognize him at all.

As for tolerance, live and let live, people!
    Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    James 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well

13. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Amen to that, my friend :)

I'm a little curious by what you said about that diverse community you live in now. Is it like a different church group or something, or do you just live by your own belief?

(In case you haven't read the thread, I'm the one asking all the questions :D)

On a different note: I was talking to a friend today over lunch about faith and belief. I told him that I would like to believe in something, that it would feel nice to have someone to guide you, or comfort you when you're sad, but that I can't seem to do it. I can't seem to make myself believe in something higher. He told me that it's not because I can't, it's because I don't want to. Now, my thoughts; if there really is something, shouldn't it give you like a sign or something? I don't need a lot, just at least something...

14. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

If you got a sign. Would you believe or would you want another sign?

15. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

I think one sign would be enough to at least make me have doubts. But then eventually, yeah, I guess I would believe. It would give me the tiniest feeling of hope that all this wouldn't be for nothing in the end.

But would it be really believing? Or would it destroy the concept of believing since you have some kind of proof. It would be more knowing than believing, no?

And to quote my friend: "I don't believe. I know." :)
    I loved it when he said that.