Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jolein

jolein Pathologist

That is true,on the other hand if your sitting far away in the theater then you can see any face expression at all.
    Now close by the stage is a different story

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, in theater you can get away with more on that level because the audience isn't right up close like the camera is for a TV show. The main thing you have to worry about in theater is projecting your voice and getting tone across (as well as intention in your movements). It's a very different kind of acting, because different things are emphasized. Maybe Anna is just more suited to that than television.

3. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Usually everything on stage is bigger (Movement, facial expressions, voice etc) so no matter where you are in a theatre whatever is going on gets across to you. That's why some theatre actors are kind of wonky on TV and film because it almost seems like they are trying to hard and overdoing everything.

Does anyone know what kind of theatre Anna did?

4. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

:lol: See! That's what I mean, though! If theater work requires bigger movements, facial expressions and all that, we would be seeing Belknap trying to tone down, not be a dead fish! If she's been repressing herself, so to speak ... uh, Anna Belknap? You're doing it wrong.

5. WhosLaughingNow

Oh no, she has toned it down. But I don't think she knew when to stop. So it's more like a watered down version of toned down. And then on the rare occasion it flairs up (like a rash. I'm thinking along the line of herpes:guffaw:) and momentarily goes into the realm of over acting:lol:.

It might also be the fact that she just isn't a versatile actor. Because most of those wonky stage -->TV actors do improve. Usually it takes them less than 3 years:rolleyes:.

6. Rad

Rad Hit and Run

:guffaw:You certainly have a way with words, WhosLaughingNow. I think they have done all they can with her. I certainly dont see her stunning us with her brilliant performance anytime soon.

7. PalmettoHunna

PalmettoHunna Hit and Run

Maybe she is overcompansating for the big movement and facials with none at all...or maybe she is just bad.

8. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Maybe she did those weird modern acting, and her role was just to sit on the stage and not to speak for the whole play. Or she played too many characters with 'dead fish eyes' that she just can't get it out of her system. Woman! Pull yourself together or else get out!

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I think she's done classical theater...maybe a Moliere play? I think it's a very different kind of acting, so I don't really think any of us can guess at how she'd be on stage from her performance.

I don't know if it's TV in general or just this role. I didn't think she was bad in MI (not great, but not bad), and from what I've heard people liked her guest turn in WAT. I feel like Lindsay gets harder and harder to like as time goes on. I was mixed on her in season two, but from late season two onward, she's just gotten more wretched.

And I do wonder why, in this whole thing with Danny, TPTB chose to have her blow up at Danny for something not everyone was going to sympathize with her on. I mean, if she'd found out about Rikki and got mad at him on that account, it might not have changed the way I looked at her, but I would have felt bad for her that the guy she liked/thought was more serious about her than he was slept with someone else. Why do you think the writers went the route they did?

10. jolein

jolein Pathologist

I think the writers might thought that people would sympatize more with Lindsay,because of the whole Danny/Rikki situation.
    Here is a woman who has a crush(or something deeper) on Danny.
    He makes all those excuses and a second later another woman appears from the bedroom for whom he makes breakfast.
    It`s almost a classical scenario which normally would gain some sympaty.

If she had know about it,which she didn`t.
    So,instead of getting the sympaty,the whole scene gives just a completly different vibe.
    Plus her speech wasn`t one I would sympatize with at all,especially the last line.
    It was too much.

11. privatename

privatename Rookie

I agree with this completely. I am sad that I dislike a character in this show so much. Most times she comes on screen she takes me out of the show and it is annoying. I really don't understand her appeal as a character to so many people. There are other characters in shows that I don't like (although few that I find as objectionable as Lindzzzz) but in most cases I can see why others like the character. While I do respect people have a right to think she is the best of the best, I really find it completely inexplicable.

The other night when a repeat of the dog show episode came on, my first reaction, (well, my first reaction after thinking that this was the episode with the cute scene of Mac and Stella eating hot dogs at the end), was excitement that it was pre-Lindsay episode. It wasn't that I was happy it was an Aiden episode -- I was just happy that it was an episode without Lindsay.

I don't know why they went that route. Maybe the wirters want to hold the "cheating" in reserve so they can create more drama between D/L down the road. Or maybe the writers felt that Lindsay had been pushed too far by Danny even without knowing about Rikki. There were many people who felt Lindsay had every right to blow up the way she did -- maybe the writers thought that way, too. Or they wanted the controversy that was created and feel that it somehow enhances the show by getting people to talk about it. Although I don't know anyone in real life who talks about it or cares that much one way or the other.

Although I have to say that I can't shake the feeling that the writers really don't know what they want to do with Danny and Lindsay. I almost think they are being deliberately vague as to whether there is an actual committed relationship so they don't have to commit one way or the other and can make choices about how to play it out as time goes by.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  12. Sammy11

Sammy11 Police Officer

Honestly? I have abso-effing-lutely no idea whatsoever.

I agree that I think in some way they hoped to make her more sympathetic to the audience.

I think they tried it last season with the big, bad secret, they thought that we would feel sorry for her that she had suffered this awful tragedy and she was still suffering and had to relive it, but I don't think they pulled it off.

And then went back to the story board.

They had her sleep with Danny and I think they hoped that we would all go "Ah, it's ok Messer is madly in love with her cuz he screwed her on his pool table, she must be ok."

After that I don't really know what happened. She started S4 ok, I didn't like her, but she didn't grate they kept her light (which is what I think Anna is alright at and works for Lindsey) then they realised that as adults or at least mature human beings, the audience knew that one night of passion on a pool table doesn't equal happily ever after.

We know TPTB kept filming D/L scenes and cutting them, both the actors said they had no idea if D and L were couple so it all got messy. Then TPTB realised that they could give Danny another arc. Only by giving Danny a meatier storyline that didn't include, school yard hand holding, they didn't have anything for Lindsey to do.

Let's face it, even in her own drama in S3 TPTB had to make sure Danny was closely linked. She couldn't just suffer and have painful memories, she needed to stand Danny up in order for them to even be hinted at, when in fact it had been hinted at in 'Mahattan Manhunt'. Danny had to fly out to Montana, she had to leave Danny a card. Her whole going away to testify had to come back to how it affected her and Danny.

So with Danny having a whole arc to himself, TPTB needed something for her to do... so because he shut down and closed practically everyone out they had her mad at him because of that.

Pretty lame if you ask me, and it made her look petty because TPTB had her get upset over the fact he forgot her birthday because he is grieving and turning down an invitation to lunch, clearly very insulting for someone in the mid-west :p.

I don't think TPTB saw the back lash of the Danny/Rikki thing, but to be honest I was pretty shocked at that. I think they are trying to please everyone now and in fact by doing so they aren't pleasing anyone.

I think TPTB thought that by making the this story arc for Lindsey, it was something that perhaps women may empathise with, as it's closer to home, most of us have been betrayed/cheated on in some form or another (i'm not ruling out men here btw). It didn't work though, because it was never clear that D/L were a couple. So for most us I think we just shrugged and went "okay". But the Lindsey never knew, and whilst I can say "ouch, unrequited love bloody hurts", I can't feel sorry because I personally wouldn't behave how she has.

... and maybe that what it boils down to for me. She isn't like me or any other woman (or man for that matter) that I know or would want too? She isn't and out and our b*tch so you can't love to hate her, she is wet one minute and cold the next. Yes people are moody, but there is no rhyme or reason to her mood swings, they just happen. *shrugs*

I don't think that answer's you question Top, I'm sure I must have done in a roundabout way.

Wow I babbled there!!

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  13. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I don't think they had Danny hook up with Rikki to please anyone. :confused:

Ending D/L altogether would have pleased me, but using a grieving mother as (ultimately) little more than a speedbump for D/L? I'm not particularly pleased by that. The Danny-Rikki-Ruben storyline had potential on its own, but it lost a great deal of that potential when, like you point out, they had to bring Lindsay into it.

14. Sammy11

Sammy11 Police Officer

HAHA! no, I meant that they were trying to please everyone in regards to D/L getting them together, not getting them together.

I'm pretty sure they didn't see Danny sleeping with Rikki as a positive thing for him (although I think it was a cracking storyline myself, as in the whole arc, not the bedroom scene, at that I just rolled my eyes).

That what I mean, they had a good dramatic storyline that showed us that TPTB can do continuity, and instead of just running with it as a Danny storyline and mentioning it occassionally with the other characters, they have to play it off D/L, so instead of making Rikki look like the grieving mother and broken (but surviving human being) that she is (although I think JP managed to make sure she had integrity), TPTB try to pass her off as the next door neighbour he bonks so that the co-worker he bonked gets annoyed... :scream:

15. WhosLaughingNow

I bet she was the girl who played the tree in the background in school plays:lol:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.