Grade 'Hostage'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 21, 2008.

?

How would you grade Hostage?

1. A+

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. A

20 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. B+

12 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. C-

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. AppleJack

AppleJack Police Officer

I have not graded this episode yet because the disappointment I'm feeling right now is clouding my mind. I'll need to watch it again.

My expectations were too high. TPTB spoiled me with the last two season finales, so after seeing this season finale I'm a bit disappointed. :( I know we get the conclusion of this episode next season but I would never have made this episode the season finale. It's annoying we have to wait 4 months and honestly I'm not really that eager to find out how this story ends. Hopefully that will change after re watching it.

Although I'm disappointed I liked the story itself. It was good, but unfortunately I didn't like the 'flow'. Somehow I felt it was too slow because I got bored a few times, the (lack of) good music didn't help. They could have done a much better job. I missed the action like there was in Snow Day.

Mac's not bad to look at would have liked to have seen more of the rest of the team. ...I am aware of the fact that if the story was mostly about Flack I wouldn't complain about that at all...

The things I enjoyed:
    - Flack talking on the red phone
    - Stella talking on the red phone
    - the autopsy with Sid
    - the robber totally fooled me. I was surprised when he put the bullet in his gun. I'm usually a lot quicker with seeing things through but hey, like everyone I need to be surprised sometimes! :D

I will watch it again tomorrow so I expect I will have more to say then.

2. Carmine_lover

Carmine_lover Witness

Well i had a lot ecpecting from the finale but this i really don't expext is this a finale i don't think so.
    this was just a normale episode.
    I was glad that adam was back glad to see him,i loved that danny and lindsay whe're normal working together but i thought we get a great d/l scene i promissed us that.
    but mac was good,but it was to much mac.
    i loved stella her care for mac was great and flack he's sexy men.
    i so want to see the 5th season:)

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The ending of this episode kind of reminds of what I read about the series finale of The Sopranos (I don't watch Sopranos). From what I read of that, people's reactions of the series finale were like "WTH?" That was the way I felt about this "cliffhanger" (and I use that word loosely). What the heck kind of cliffhanger was that? Not a decent one, that's for sure. The one where Flack was injured and you didn't know if he'd survive till the following season... now that was a proper cliffhanger. But this one? Not so much.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Honestly, I'm not going to automatically take any 'answers' provided by this episode as the whole truth. Maybe I'm overly-optimistic, but I'd like to think there's still more to it than 'whoops, Joe was involved all along.' :p

They might have been better served to have this be episode 20 and have the S5 premiere be the actual season finale. Too late now, of course.

5. GregNickRyanFan

I agree. Not all season finales have to have cliffhangers. Without A Trace didn't really have a Cliffhanger. We were told in it about Jack's job status (heck, they told us that in the preview for the episode). The only real question is "Will Brian come back to see his son?" But even though it didn't have shock value, it was still a decent season finale. And Bones' season finale was decent with the shock value being before the ep was over (and not ending on the shock value). Season finales can have happy endings and still be interesting.

6. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I gave it a B.

It was a good Mac centric episode but it could of worked with any other CSI instead of Mac which I liked. Although I love Mac I dont really like to see him have a story line where its, 'me me me'- if that makes sense.

I think it would have gotten an A if it hadnt been the final because unlike Snow day I didnt finish the episode really excited and wanting to rewatch!

Although there was a cliff hanger and A LOT of un answered questions I dont feel as eager to see the first season episode as I was with the sara cliffhanger in LV last season. However I think i'll soon regret choosing to go Spoiler Free all summer!!

7. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I'm still kind of not sure what to give it, I think the main reason is SD was pretty spectacular last year that it had a lot to live up to this year which it struggled with.

Bare with me on this I've been at the beach all day (last everd day of uni) burnt to a lobster colour swear i have sun stroke and just watched the finale.. i'm attemptin a rewatch tomorow when i'm less knackered.

I'm not a huge Mac fan, I understand the finales are Mac centric and I'm fine with that i just would have liked a little more of everyone else would have been nicer.

I Loved Sids toy... seriously that is sooo cool.

Stella and the gun guy was fun to watch the way they interacted.

Cisco obv do like there product placement.

Joe... I knew it wasn't all as simple as it made out when he got the call but the twist at the end was pretty clever but also kind of expected. I liked his character tho there was something skitz about him that as much as you knew he wouldn't shoot he could as easily turn round and blast it.

From the spoiler report the premiere definately does sound good and very very interesting.

Tho I have to say I was waitng for someone to get shot after the Miami Finale and the Vegas Finale i was like i wouldn't put it past them... I still found this had a tad more than the Vegas episode for me but Vegas's cliffhanger was certainly the biggest.

8. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i gave the ep an A. i liked it, it was pretty cool. but as someone said definately not a good season finale worthy, but with the way the season went it fit. everyone seemed to be on top of their, everyone's personal shit was all out of the way, and for a while it was like "omg what it is going to happen next." i had a feeling it would end on a cliffy but it was kinda sucktastic. Mac should have known better.

i kinda can't wait to see how the whole thing pans out in the premier in september.

even though i gave the ep an A i will say that "Snow Day" was a hell of a lot better. that left me wanting more and not being able to wait for the next season. this season was kind of a let down in some ways but imo i think it's just b/c last season was soo good and i had high expectations for the stories and the characters.

i didn't mind this ep being Mac centric. i like Mac but sometimes when a story gets personal for him the story and the character drive me nuts. this ep kinda was about Mac but it kinda wasn't and i liked that. it was different and a bit twisty.

no matter what i can't wait for september to see what happends to him and where all the characters will be in the new season as far as personal lives and job lives are concerned.

9. GregNickRyanFan

Okay, I have a horrible memory. I can't even remember last year's Season Finale of NY. I remember LV's cause there was a big discussion on what was going to happen to Sara. Wasn't Miami's finale about Ryan being fired or something? NY's finale, I just can't remember it at all. And the ep title doesn't jog my memory either. Could someone please give me a brief description of last years NY finale?

10. Faylinn

"Snow Day": "Following the largest drug seizure in city history, Mac, Stella and Hawkes are forced to save the lab when, in an elaborate heist, a drug lord and his crew descend upon the CSI's vault to retrieve their merchandise, and two CSIs are held hostage."

(From the episode guide, and the review has a full summary)

11. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Other than the CSI:LV cliffhanger I enjoyed this one alot. We all know nothing happens to super H. LOL I'd wondered if the dude was being truthful or not. Now the only issue I have is having to wait till the new season begins. I really enjoyed the show. Kept me glued from the get go. Great acting all around.

12. GregNickRyanFan

Thanks, Faylinn. I remember it now. That's the same one where Peyton and Mac left for England, right?

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I was pretty disappointed in "Hostage" last night but watched some of it again today in case I missed something. Nope, didn't change my opinion much.

I gave it a grade of C-; rather average overall, even mediocre at times, and definitely not finale worthy. Like always, there were a few things which saved it from D or F territory.

I thought the opening sequence was well done -- the trip up the stairwell and the subsequent encounter between Mac and Joe. The 3D virtual autopsy scene was extremely cool, too. And Mac was really solid (uh...except for that part where he was totally bamboozled by Joe) -- very sharp and no-nonsense and as others have noted looking very good. Hmmm....maybe it was the blue shirt OR maybe the rest of the episode was so numbing that I had more time to study him than usual.

By contrast, I thought the remainder of the cast (including the always interesting Stella) seemed a bit flat.

The pacing seemed off, too, and the first half of the episode really dragged. I thought everyone (including Mac and Joe) seemed a bit too casual and cavalier about the whole situation. There were even a few times when the gunman seemed particularly distracted and/or careless, and I wondered my Mac didn't take him down then and there -- but wouldn't have made much of an episode if it had been that easy.

And there's still one part of the scenario I don't understand. Once Mac disarmed Joe, why didn't they just keep Joe inside the bank while the team went to his house and attempted to rescue his supposed family? I think I missed some important detail there.

I give the writers credit for the twist at the end -- didn't see that coming -- I totally believed Joe's story. And for one second, I thought Joe might actually shoot Mac and leave him in an alley somewhere, but since that wasn't the big cliffhanger, I'm guessing Mac will be ok in the end.

I am curious to see how the writers tie this story up in the S5 premier, but not in that "I just can't wait" way that usually comes with cliffhangers. And I'm also curious if Adam Baldwin's character will play a major part in the wrap-up.

I think I need to go watch "Snow Day" again.

14. Faylinn

Yep. :)

15. bodrul

bodrul Victim

kind of disapointed at another CSI cliff hanger ending of a season
    and the long wait to find out what happens next starts now