Grade 'Personal Foul'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 7, 2008.

?

How would you grade Personal Foul?

1. A+

17 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. A

15 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. A-

10 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. B+

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. B

10 vote(s)
    13.7%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. C

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

"You should piss Lindsay off more often."

Oh, Flack, I love you so. That line is a thing of beauty, and more importantly, it sheds some light on the Danny/Lindsay relationship from the perspective of someone close to Danny. It was intended as a joke, certainly, but it also intimates that Lindsay might be what Vince Vaughn called a "Class 1 Clinger" in Wedding Crashers. It implies that Danny hasn't socialized much recently. Whether his isolation is the result of his grief for Reuben or of his involvement with Lindsay is unclear, but it warms my heart to think of Lindsay as the human equivalent of the grabby, priapic face-hugging, life-killing chest-burster from Alien, and so I shall.

Speaking of decidedly unpleasant metamorphoses, the writers have succeeded in making the formerly likeable Reed Garrett into the stereotypically sullen, vainglorious, short-sighted douchewad. I was mildly dismayed when he presumed on his personal relationship with Mac to further his budding "journalism" career; I was markedly more unimpressed when he shamelessly thrust Mac into the untenable position at the press conference for the sake of mugging for the cameras and generating hits; I was nominating him for character kindling by the time they squabbled in the crime lab. He struck me as presumptuous and ungrateful and hopelessly naive. Unfortunately for him, it seems that naivete and Gen Y faith in the ability to change the world with the mighty keystroke has landed him in very deep and troubled waters.

And now...it's time for me to lose my metaphorical shit and caper and howl like a baboon on a strict regimen of LSD and crystal meth.

Like an anal wart on a high-priced call girl, the Danny/Lindsay phone call stuck out and was horrifically painful. Danny misses her? When has he had time to miss her between his justified grief and his ill-advised trysts with Riki? And what has he missed? The writers haven't shown her being there for Danny in any capacity. Ever. Even in "Snow Day", it was all about her. Her angst. Her woe.

That trend has continued throughout this season as well. She claims to have tried to give him space, but Flack's comment that pissing Lindsay off was a good thing implies a truth altogether different, and if she has given him space, I'd wager it was because she was butthurt and determined to punish him by withdrawing. She reminds me of a cat scraping litter over a particularly ripe turd, turning up her nose at the offending dropping and showing it her ass with feline joie de guerre.

It's always all about her. The conversation tonight provided ample proof. I can't do this. It's affecting my work and breaking my heart. Me, me, me, mine, me, mine. It's irksome and off-putting, and it boggles my mind that Danny misses someone capable of such staggering narcissism.

Then again, Danny's once strong character has been so thoroughly demolished and contorted by the writers' obsession with this deathless embarrassment that defining canon Danny is impossible. If you had told me in S2 that Danny would make a weepy, spineless, blubbering phone call, begging forgiveness from a cold fish and navel-gazing succubus like Lindsay, I'd've laughed at you hard enough to break wind. Yet there he was, groveling like a lovelorn tween. It was embarrassing, like watching your drunk relatives apologize for their shortcomings right before they piss in the potted plant or barf down the priest's cassock. Or like watching your toddler nephew reach into his diaper, pull out a fresh deposit into Le Banque Du Huggies, and proclaim it his greatest invention.

As Flack said last week, "Stop, OK? Just...stop." That scene nearly destroyed what was otherwise a solid if unremarkable episode.

B for the case, but C- for overall effect.

2. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

La_Guera, I love your review with the power of a million suns.

[​IMG]

This is an alien face hugger plushie.

Apparently, even an alien face hugger turned plushie has more emoting power in a single image than Lindsay has in three whole seasons. Just look at the damn thing! That alone has struck fear in the hearts of people who saw that freakin' alien bursting out of that poor S.O.B.'s chest in Alien!

Exactly. Which is why Danny even saying that to her is very out-of-character and illogical considering what's happened for this entire season and even in past seasons. This is TPTB's extreme desperation to give anything for a useless character like Lindsay to cling onto, which is, of course, Danny the So Overly Used Prop That His Manboobs Can No Longer Give Out Any More Cash. Heh, I guess this means even TPTB acknowledges Anna Belknap's limited acting ability if they're resorting to badfic plots ala season three craptasticness just to give her something to do.

Heh, he's so f***ed up right now that he can't even think straight and Lindsay's taking advantage of that weakness by emotionally manipulating him. She's done it before, she'll certainly do it again.

Now I'm recalling Carmine's statement of Danny eventually realizing Lindsay's not who he thought she was. The last thing he can do now is see things from a detached point of view, much less see Lindsay for who and what she really is, but when he does ... yep, the axe is already raised above and just waiting for the signal to fall.

I don't think that could have been said any better!

P.S. I fully intend to leave a review later. :evil:

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  3. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

Did anyone else laugh at the photo of Danny on Lindsay's phone?
    I did, it was hilarious! He looked as if he was giving the old point and shoot look.
    I laughed out loud.

4. Redsiren

Redsiren Hit and Run

I totally did!! What a geek!! I died laughing when I saw that.:lol:

5. Bobbie

Bobbie Civilian

I thoughthe episode was pretty good. i did see the whole cheerleader and reed thing coming but the way they wrote it out was pretty cool. As for D/L, I'm a big fan of them and I think that last nights episode was one of thier better ones. You got to see a more vunerable side of the characters.

6. AbbyD

AbbyD Dead on Arrival

La_Guera, I love you! You have put into words what I've been thinking about the whole D/L/R debacle.

Of late, I've been forced to DVR the show so that I can fast forward past the D/L crapfest. I have come to resent the time suckage that it takes away from both the primary storylines and the screen time available to the other characters.

On the whole, I have to give this episode a C. Moderate effort. Some scenes were strictly A caliber. The Flack/Danny scenes were great, Sid and Hawkes had some quality screen time.

Although I think that Reed has become a whiny entitlement ass, it was fun to watch Mac smack him down. Maybe he'll survive the life lesson being served up to him.

My fondest hope is that someone will shove Lindsey into a cardboard box and ship her sorry egocentric manulipitive ass out of New York. I don't care where she goes, I just want her gone!

7. Dims

Dims Hit and Run

I really really liked this episode.

They apparently changed the first scene so as to serve the narrative better. ofcourse it did. It would make no sense for Dannny and Linds to go on a date and then have the angst that followed....i cant help but wonder though....how did they start from the DL draft to end up with the Danny/Flack one? The DL dynamic was probably different in the first draft also...im wondering what it was.

anyhow....

the basketball case was a bit silly..i mean who didint see it coming..even though i loved the girl that played fat paula...she was very good and she made me actually sympathise with her and almost understand her pain and thirst for vengeance.(Almost) :p

Flack is as great as always ..such a cutie patutie...i love him ( i know...not a very constructive comment)

I also completely understood and applauded Lindsay's behaviour.Yes Danny is sweet,handsome and disgustingly sexy but does this mean that whenever he misses her she should be at his call? Ever since she told him its over (i love you and i have to find a way to let you go) She has done NOTHING that would give him a different impression. She is proffesional, tries to be even friendly but yes ladies and gentleman she will not jump up and down simply because, he feels better now....the healing sex time with Rikki is over and he misses her.
    Guess what....TOUGH LUCK! Danny himself had clearly showed us that Linds could not help him with his grief but spending time with Rikki while ditching Linds for lunch made him feel just fine.....and now that he has changed his mind Linds is supposed to just go to his appartment or talk romance with him again so as not to come out selfish? PLEASE!

if that is soo wrong and she comes sooo bad and selfish...please writers....WE NEED MORE SELFISH Lindsay!

I like Danny and i LOVE DL but he needs to make up his friggin mind....he cant have his cake and eat it out.....what was he so desperate about all of a sudden?When he was suffering and she told him to go for a lunch she didnt even finish her sentence before he hung up the phone in SECONDS!Yet it is Lindsay that is rude and does not understand?

Just because someone has gone through a personal problem that does not mean we have to satisfy their every whim or changes of mood especially when the same person had shut us down before.Who tells Lindsay that he wont do the same again if sth else happens?He needs to learn to either rely on her too when sth bad happens or leave her be. he cant have both.

In the last three episodes she was BRILLIANT as far as work goes...and just because some of you dont like her face that does not make her character pointless or useless. In the previous and this ep she worked just fine on her own and had no involvement with Danny or we had any indication of her love life.....so when she is not troubled over Danny what makes her so different from the rest of the CSI's that she deserves to get out of the show?????? Yet when Danny is troubled or chases after Linds he is this poor poor guy who the mean writers HATE and want to destroy but for Lindsay it is her fault and she should be punished by leaving the show? OFCOURSE...i means Lindsay clearly lacks biceps :rolleyes:

You cant go around blaming the writers for ruining Danny but blame Linds herself for the flaws of her character.

PHEW!

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  8. febgrl24

febgrl24 Dead on Arrival

^^^
    I couldn't agree more Dims!

My overall grade for the epi was an A+. I really enjoyed it......especially the D/L scenes. Their talk on the phone was quite possibly my favorite part of the whole episode. I'm just happy Rikki will finally be gone. When she was telling Danny about moving away, I actually said out loud to the tv, "Buh Bye! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!" LOL! I have to admit, they really made her look hot for that scene. I was almost thinking Danny was going to pull her into his aparment and that would be that. Thank the Lord he didn't!

Anyway, Reed totally peeved me off!! I couldn't believe how he was treating Mac just to get the "scoop" on the taxi cab killer :rolleyes:. I'm happy Mac finally lost his patience with Reed and yelled at him. And I kinda figured Reed would be the one to be taken by the killer and not Lindsay.....probably around the time he got that text telling him to meet some stranger somewhere for info on the killer. Yeah, like that's not too obvious, lol. No matter how upset I am with Reed, I do hope he makes it out of this okay.

Next week's episode looks pretty good.....very suspenseful!

Oh, I forgot to say, I loved the Danny and Flack scene at the beginning!! It's nice to see them hanging out every once in a while.

9. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I don't hate Danny, and I don't hate Lindsay (in fact, I rather like him and don't mind her), but I don't like them together. I'm over it, in all honesty. I feel like this has been going on way too long. I feel the same way about GSR in Vegas. I like Grissom and I like Sara, but again, I'm over it.

There are certain quirks about each of them that I don't like. Danny, he's a young man (30s isn't that old) who's relatively intelligent (all the CSIs are), and yet he's impulsive and does things without necessarily thinking them through all the way. He thinks with his heart and, while that's not always a bad thing, it can get you into trouble. We've seen that with his character throughout the show, if not more so this season.

Lindsay, I think of her almost as the nerdy girl with her high school crush- you know, always wanting him, thinking about him, etc. Until she gets him, sees what's really going on, and rethinks, if only for a moment. She's smart, has a good head on her shoulders, and won't take his shit. We can see that. But I think that she hasn't been as supportive of him through this as he was through her ordeal last season. She gave him space, and he had done the same, but he flew out to Montana to be with her (again, his impulsiveness). I don't really see her doing much like that.

This isn't to be harsh on either of them. It's just a criticism. As it relates to this episode...

Lindsay clearly showed she wasn't gonna take that, but then decided that maybe there was something worth saving. Although, I have to admit, I don't really know why. I don't see how you could go back to something that causes you pain, but that's neither here nor there. They were friends before this... why can't they be at least that now? As for Danny, he wants what he wants when he wants it, at least in his current state. That's why he laughed along with Flack at his line about pissing Lindsay off, and then later in the episode called her up and wanted her to come over. He's confused right now, and that plays into a lot of this situation.

I can certainly understand his confusion. Spend every day living around someone and then one day, they're gone. Even if you're not as close as Danny and Ruben were, it still bothers you that something that used to be constant in your life is gone. It makes you think things you normally don't, and can make you do things you normally wouldn't. He's made some mistakes along this path, and I think the phone call last night was him owning up to them. Even if it's not all of them...

Kimmychu pointed out that Danny will probably rethink things when he's not so messed up, and I agree. I think when he isn't grieving as much, when things start to become normal for him again, he's going to rethink what happened over the last few months. What went right, and what went wrong, and what's worth holding on to, and what should be let go.

I don't know what that's gonna mean for D/L. In his confusion, he doesn't know what he truly wants. Same with her last season. When she was going through the trial and everything, she didn't know what she wanted. When things settled, she decided. I expect the same from Danny.

Only, I don't know if it's going to mean D/L remains. Danny may take Flack's line about "pissing Lindsay off more often" as him neglecting his best friend, and that's not something he wants to do. Danny has fears about letting people down and abandoning them, as the show has portrayed. He may want to rethink his relationship if it's going to take away from his friendships.

Sorry for the long tangential post...

Back on the episode and Reed for a moment. He's become a douche, yes, and I think that has a lot to do with how he views Mac. Reed respects Mac, but Mac's not really anything to him. He's said something similar to that in Consequences. I don't think Reed really cares that much. Not to say he's completely heartless, but I think he doesn't respect the boundaries the way he should and doesn't care as much about Mac as Mac does about him.

Even though Mac helped him out in Some Buried Bones and really cares about him, I don't think Reed completely reciprocates that. I think that's why he's so quick to exploit his connection to Mac and why he put Mac in the positions he did in this episode. I'm glad Mac gave him the verbal smackdown for it, because I think it's something he needed.

I will still be sad to see Reed go, though, if they do kill him (which I still think they will). I liked his character and what he brought out in Mac... even if it wasn't always good.

10. Dims

Dims Hit and Run

could you please xplain this?i honestly didnt understand it.

when did she decide that there might be sth worth saving and ''took'' his behavior? from the beginning of the distance thing till now she has only showed him she is not gonna accept this bouncy behavior...i think.

11. CSINYRULZ

CSINYRULZ CSI Level One

By far one of the best episodes of the season in my book. The Flack/Danny scenes were absolutely fantastic and it was awesome to see those two outside of work - LOVED IT! and um, PTB: how sly of you to show us a little "Flack Tummy Flesh" as he flashed his badge, how very very sly - and AWESOME of you. :)

Loved the entire ep. Everyone has pretty much already pinpointed the amazing parts already so theres no need to repeat them, but

WOW! PTB: You guys rock!

12. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I gave it a B+

-Flack and 'Mess' at the game was a wonderful scene. It really showed their friendship. I loved Flack calling Danny 'Mess', his comment that Danny 'should piss Lindsay off more often', and their lil bet, and Danny jumping up and yelling when he won like a big kid.:lol:

-Casual!Flack + FlackSkin =:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

-That later scene with Flack and Danny being 'typical guys' as they watched the cheerleaders put on lippy was fun too.

-I like Reed, and his enthusiasm is sweet, but he really was a lil ass in this episode. First, he used his personal relationship with Mac to get Mac to give him info, more info than Mac's already given him, and AFTER Mac gave him the massive advantage of actually taking him to a crime scene. Second, he lied about where he got his info from - that's unfair to both his 'fans' and to Mac. Third - he deliberately put Mac in a very difficult position when he turned up to the press conference and asked would Mac take a cab. Fourth - he went alone at 10pm in the dark and rain to meet a source and then got into a cab.

-It was great seeing Mac give Reed the smackdown, not just 'cause Reed had it coming (and anyone else would have given it him way before Mac did) but because it was hot.:drool: Oh, and I loved it when Mac said he was giving Reed the warning out of 'love and respect' for Claire. I think the reason Mac held off a bit on giving Reed the smackdown was because of that. The whole reason he made the effort to reach out to Reed in the first place was 'cause of Claire, and that's really sweet. He may have kissed Quinn, but it's obvious he really did love Claire. I just hope Reed doesn't get killed because then Mac's gonna feel like he's 'failed' Claire.

-I really liked that Mac said he wouldn't get into a cab right now. It was honest, and I like that Mac has the integrity not to lie to the press and the public about how dangerous this guy is. I liked his and Jordan's arguement, I could see Jordan's point about the economic damage to the city and causing a public panic, but Mac was entirely right to point out that people's lives were more important. It was great to see that Jordan can be feisty when she wants to be, and I laughed when Mac said he'd rather be unemployed than dead, and Jordan said 'That can be arranged' I don't think she honestly meant it though. She did look kinda guilty when he asked if she wanted the next death on her hands. I hope they're not going to turn her into some Political Enemy for Mac, they have a nice chemistry together, and I like her as a friend-with-potential for Mac.

-I really liked that scene with Mac and Stella where Mac opened up about how frustrated he is with the case and with the position he's in. I really liked the bit where he talked about the widow - we got to see Mac's sweeter, gentler side, and his compassion for people who are left behind when someone dies, especially when it's something as sudden and unexpected as what happened to that man. I think Mac probably knows all too well what it's like when someone you love does something simple and everyday, and it puts them in the wrong place at the wrong time - the woman's husband got in the wrong cab, Mac's wife turned up for work on the wrong day - and neither came home.:( I'd love to see or have mentioned a scene/phone call between Mac and the widow when the cabbie killer is caught.

-I really like scenes like the ones in this ep with Flack/Danny and Mac/Stella. While I don't mind romance on the show (I liked Mac/Peyton for example) D/L is an atrocity. I much preferred them as friends who flirted a lil bit. I also think that such 'friendship' scenes can be more revealing about the characters involved than 'romantic' scenes - like in the Mac/Stella scene we saw Mac's 'vulnerable'/softer side. And the Danny felt much more 'Danny-like' in his scenes with Flack than he did in any of his scenes with Lindsay. He really came alive in those scenes with Flack, while the scenes with Lindsay just felt...flat. Emo Danny is good, but I preferred Emo Danny with Rikki to Emo Danny with Lindsay. He just didn't 'feel' like the Danny I know in that scene where called Lindsay for forgiveness.

-Poor Mac really is getting it from all sides. The Mayor's office and even his ally in it (Jordan) are at him, the higher-ups in the NYPD are at him, and Reed's being a dumbass and making it all even harder for him. Mac needs some TLC and a break right now...*runs to Mac*:devil: Looks like next week's ep is gonna be even harder for him.:(

-The Danny/Rikki scene was really sweet. Just like Danny is. I'm sad Rikki's leaving because she was a great 3-dimensional, adult, believable character, and all her scenes with Danny have been really interesting to watch. But I'm happy for her that she's moving away from all the painful memories.

-The Danny/Lindsay stuff...:scream::scream::scream: That's one thing that put this ep as a 'B+'.

-The secondary case wasn't that interesting. I worked out way before they did that the 'Fat Girl' was the cheerleader. And the Bullied Previously Fat Chick Gets Revenge on White Trash Creep Who Tormented Her has been done before.

-If I hear ONE more time that Lindsay is from MONTANA I will not be responsible for my actions. It really really is starting to p*ss me off. I mean, how many times have we heard that Mac's from Chicago? Or that Peyton was OMG from England? Who cares that Lindsay's not from New York? I think that probably a LOT of people who live in NYC aren't from there.

-Can't wait for next week - Mac drama coming up. Hopefully all the drama will push D/L into the background.

13. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

My sentiments exactly. Why TPTB need to keep reminding us that Lindsay is from MONTANA three seasons into her character is ridiculous. It just shows how poorly written and acted the character is. If they want to make Lindsay distinct because of where she's from it should come through in her character, not from constantly mentioning her native state. :brickwall:

And I agree with whomever said that her mentioning walking in the rain to clear her head like it was something exclusive to people from MONTANA was just ludicrous. They treat MONTANA like it's another planet where people do, say and feel things no one else on Earth would ever understand. :cardie:

14. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

I echo the reviews of those who felt this episode had some great things:

-Danny & Donnie at the basketball game... :drool: These guys are solid and great together.

-Stella & Mac share a moment...

-Stella & Hawkes together.... Nice to see that since she was the one who picked him up from prison last season and where she could have gotten her jungle fever on, they dropped... :lol:

-Reed was back... Cool that Mac threatened him. I would have too.

What I didn't care for, like many people:

-Big Girl Revenge... Yeah, he humiliated her, but no one should die. I thought it was creative how she did it, but she risked her own life doing it. :mad:

-The Last Sceen... I couldn't help but to question the decision to have him get in the taxi at the end of the episode when it was he who got Mac to admit that he wouldn't ride a cab until the killer is caught. I know it's an attempt to personalize it even more for Mac, but that makes Reed look even more stupid. After Mac says to avoid cabs, he jumps in one. :brickwall:

-D/L Stuff... it took away from an episode that could have used that time for something else/better. :scream: I'm so tired of the juvie storyline now. Danny & Rikki's scene was "sweet", but starting an episode with Danny happy (for once) and just dragging him back down at the end was troublesome for me.

15. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Heh, now that I've watched the episode in full, I have only the following to say:

When Danny was telling Lindsay he missed her, I was laughing. Not because he was incredibly out-of-character, but because his voice along with his hilarious facial expression just cracked me up! :guffaw:Danny's voice just suddenly went all growly and off, like Carmine was telling himself that sounding like a drunk werewolf who had a rotten meal would make it easier for him to say the lines. :guffaw: And no, it really didn't help that he looked like he ate something disgusting and was trying his damnest to not spit it out either.

That scene just made his scene with Rikki afterwards even better proof of what real chemistry and emotion's all about. Danny displayed more emotional distress and pain about Rikki leaving than he ever has about any drama related to Lindsay in the whole show. He was definitely torn up about Rikki moving away, and although there was something of a finality to her asking him to just say goodbye, Danny will be remembering Rikki for a long time to come. He was literally tearing up when Rikki touched his cheek. I think he even cried alone at his kitchen counter after looking at Ruben's memorial pamphlet. :(

Nope, he's not going to forget Rikki or Ruben any time soon. The way it was open-ended, I actually won't be surprised should TPTB bring her back in the future. Moving away =/= Never seeing Danny again.

Oh yeah. I just realized there was no Adam.