What should happen to Gerrard?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by nattybatty55, May 3, 2008.

1. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Ok there has been a little discusion over in the News Items section about the final scene in the latest episode, Addmissions.

As some people dont go over to the News Items section I thought it would be an idea to bring the question over here.... What do you think should/will happen to Gerrard after he shot Jesse?!?!

2. Surreal_44

Surreal_44 Hit and Run

Much as I was pleased to see Gerrard shoot one of his daughter's rapists, and as much as the bastard truly deserved it, Gerrard needs to go to jail. I'm sure he can make a deal with the DA.

However...he could plead on some level of insanity, I'm sure. Jurors would be hard-pressed to not be sympathetic to a father who takes out the man who hurt his little girl.

He'll definitely lose his career. I would like it if he got off on a technicality or some such, but I don't see that happening. I know vigilantes are not a good thing, but it's hard to feel bad that a rapist is dead. And yes, I know he's fictional but I did get some real satisfaction that he was no longer breathing. :p

3. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

He'll probably plead guilty for a short jail sentence of which he'll serve next to nothing. And his career with the NYPD will be over.

I don't think he's going to get slammed real hard to be honest.

4. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Since there was a character in The Fugitive series named Lieutenant Gerard, I would say he should blame it on the one-armed man. :)

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

He should go to prision. In shows like the CSI's and Law & Order we've seen plenty of people who have killed out of revenge, emotional distress, etc., and in almost all of those instances it is stressed how these things do not excuse murder. If a TV show were to take the opposite stance on a character who is a Deputy Inspector, it would be beyond hypocritical. These types of shows have shown juries can be sympathetic when there are extenuating circumstances, but I don't think the authorities can. I know characters who know Gerrard may be sympathetic to him and that's fine; but as far as what happens to him there shouldn't be any short cuts, deals or anything else that wouldn't be done for someone who isn't the Deputy Inspector. I'm not naive enough to think he wouldn't be treated differently, but he shouldn't without the NYPD suffering at least a huge PR mess.

6. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Gerrard has to pay for what he did. He was a chief inspector. I think the man was perfectly aware of the consequences of his actions, and I admire him for putting his family's honor in front of the career. If I were him, i would have done the same exact thing. Gerrard could get an easier penalty, with 5 years cut down from the sentence, but nevertheless he should pay.

7. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I think Gerrard should be fired and should go to trial and face some kind of jail time. He was a deputy inspector and he walked into a room and shot a man in police custody point blank in the head. I think he knew what the consequences of his actions would be, and that he accepts them - he sacrificed his career to get revenge for his daughter, and I do admire him for that, it's a hell of a sacrifice to make. While I don't condone 'vigilante' killing, and think the justice system should punish Gerrard for what he did, I hope that it will also sympathize with him and recognize the extenuating (sp?) circumstances of his situation. I think any jury will find it hard not to sympathize with him.

8. owlki

owlki Witness

Unfortunately, I think he'll lose his job and do time... what is really a pity because he is a wonderful character (that kind that we love to hate but, even then, draws our sympathy).

I know I shouldn't condone what he did but I couldn't help thinking in the end of the episode "Too bad he didn't manage to kill the other scumbag too..."

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

His career is definitely over. Personally, I hope he pleads temporary insanity and gets off, but in order to not make it look like major favoritism is going on, the DA would have to go after him pretty hard. I hope we find out what happens to him...

10. CSIFan119

CSIFan119 Hit and Run

I would hope that they would go easy on him. I was never a fan of Gerrard but in this episode he grew on me. I was in complete shock at the end of the episode and truly felt his pain. I don't think that he deserves harsh punishment given the circumstances.

11. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

Better question - are we actually ever going to find out in a decent fashion, or is it just going to be something that crops up eventually where we all go - "Oh, I'd forgotten about that. So that's what happened to him."

12. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

He should lose his job, and pension, and definitely do some time. Yeah, the douchebag raped his daughter (along with countless other girls) and killed another man, but this man was a police officer. He should have known better.....

However, I think all that WILL happen is that his career is over. He may get the trial, but nothing will come of it, and he'll just be swept under the rug. He may also plead diminished capacity, but I don't think the DA will go at him all that hard.

13. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I do think he should lose his job due to the circumstances of being in a position that requires very high ethics and commitment. Yet it is completely understandable to see how even an aggressive jerk like Gerrard actually broke down in complete sense of failure when his daughter told Mac and the CSI's about her horrific ordeal. I don't blame him one bit.

However it is likely he could serve time in jail and certainly lose his job. As for the long term, that is a whole different ball game in my opinion. I could easily see him being a police officer who specializes in hunting down sex offenders and serial rapists. I don't blame him one bit for him killing the rapists right there in the interrogation room. Even fathers have a parental instinct to protect their children from outside harm. I'm almost certain he took no pleasure in killing the suspect considering that enormous catastrophic fallout on his career but it was a principled sacrifice to see him kill the suspect for the sake of his daughter's future and to prevent him from raping further victims.

Though it's a longer shot than firing a cannonball from Nome, Alaska to Moscow Russia, I could imagine him even becoming a main charachter as a member of the CSI team or as a politician who defends Mac from future accusations.

Whatever I believe should happen, to see an adversarial charachter like Gerrard go from Deputy Inspector that hated Mac to a helpless man who self-destructed was one of the most upsetting things I've ever watched on this show.

I hope we see him in the show in the future but not as a casualty but perhaps seeing how he recovers and rebuilds both psychologically and career-wise.

14. CSINYAddict

CSINYAddict Rookie

Unfortunately he shall go to prison and be tried like every other citizen.

15. sparkyCSI

sparkyCSI Civilian

I completely agree! Just because he is a Deputy Inspector does not make him above the law. It would be nice to have a crime drama take that stance. I know that if I were a juror, then I would be more sympathic to him (I think his actions are completely understandable and I probably would have done the same thing if it had been my daughter).

It was a nice thing for the show to do because people tend to forget that police officers are just human. They are subject to the same stressors that the rest of us non police officers are and it was an honest portrayal.

I just hope this storyline doesn't go the way of the Louie one. I'd like to know what actually happens to Gerrard!