American Idol

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

Okay, what the frick is wrong with America? Carly went home?! That just isn't right! She was so incredibly good!

My bottom two would've been Brooke and Jason. My favorite on Tuesday was DEFINITELY David Cook. I never thought rocker could pull off the Phantom! Not as good as Michael Crawford, but darn close, in my honest opinion!

2. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I honestly don't feel any of that from them. :shrug: Oh well, to each his/her own. :)

^ Ick, yes. Just another reason I think the producers are deciding who stays and who goes. First of all, that Brooke White forgot her words, started over, was off-tune and has no power to her voice and CARLY got voted off? She rocked. Ick.

And can I just say, it was NOT okay for her to start over. I don't care if Simon says "I would have done the same", it wasn't the smart thing to do. Didn't they say "don't forget your lyrics" when Hollywood week came around? And when David A. forgot his lyrics recently, he was roasted but Brooke gets a free pass because she's pretty and unique. :rolleyes: I think she's the most arrogant one of them all.

I was always taught that if you forget the words, keep going. Professionals don't stop and say "can we start again?" No, because that would be a waste of the audience's tickets. Ick.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

3. Missing

Missing Pathologist

I was not a big Neil Diamond fan before the show and am still not a big fan of his songs. SO last nights performaces were not that whoo hoo for me. I still think Castro needs to go as nothing seems to fit him and cannot see him as the winner and on CD's that don't have some hippie or beach theme to them. Brooke is starting to annoy me--that innocent girl act is getting old. Dave A bugs me also --something with his mouth just irks me --I don't know how to explain it. Dave C I like and still think he is going to win with Dave A coming in second. Sheeisha (?) has a good voice but she only really shined when she did the broadway show night.

4. wolfe_love_2007

wolfe_love_2007 Hit and Run

i think that the finale will be between david archuleta and david cook and either on could win but i think david A.would win cuz he has alot of fans but david c did do a great job on his song last week and it was pretty chiling the way he sang music of the night.

5. Finch

lol, I was glad to see Brooke go. I'd had just about enough of her--and I didn't buy the whole 'innocent girl' thing either. Bleh. :p

I think as well that the finale will be between Archuleta and Cook. I think Archuleta would be very marketable to the teeny-boppers and those who like those ballad-type voices. But Cook could also win this thing because rock is very 'in' right now; Look at Daughtry's success and Chris Daughtry didn't even make it to the top 5, I don't think. :lol:

I am so excited for tuesday--Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame! \m/

6. wolfe_love_2007

wolfe_love_2007 Hit and Run

i think that the finale will be between david archuleta and david cook and either on could win but i think david A.would win cuz he has alot of fans but david c did do a great job on his song last week and it was pretty chiling the way he sang music of the night.

7. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

Actually, Chris Daughtry was voted off after the top 4. I still remember the look on Katharine McPhee's face when they said he was going home. She was like, "WTFOMGBBQ HIM?! I THOUGHT IT WAS GONNA BE ME?!" The whole thing with the producers picking who goes home started way back in season one, though! There is no way more people in America liked Nikki McKibbin over Tamyra Gray. Not no way, not no how! And then Ruben Studdard winning season two?! Frick no! Fantasia Barino? Another loser! Taylor Hicks? All hype, no frackin' talent! There is no possible way that Ruben, Fantasia, and Taylor legitimately beat out Clay Aiken, Diana DeGarmo, and Katharine McPhee, respectively. I think the only genuine wins in the American Idol history books are Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Jordin Sparks. And their second placers had a decent career following their runner-up status. Justin Guarini is probably the least successful of the three, but it's no surprise that they aren't as famous, considering they did take second place! But look at Bo Bice, he has some good songs on the radio, right? And OMG BLAKE LEWIS (sorry, I absolutely LOVE HIM!) has an album out that's kicking arse! I mean, even the name (Audio Day Dream) is awesome. Surrender and Break Anotha are awesome songs, and should be listened to!

Whoa, Amanda. Tangent much? Anyway, if that argument made any sense, w00t, I made a point for once. But... it's just insane that Brooke could have made it this far, and Carly went home before her. I'm a HUGE David Cook fan, but I want him to go off and do his own stuff, which he may not be able to do if he wins. BUT, his Music of the Night performance tells me he could play Erik (sorry, the Phantom. THAT'S HIS REAL NAME! COME ON, READ GASTON LEROUX'S NOVEL NOW! Sorry, I promise not to yell again. Honest) in a new production of The Phantom of the Opera! He has some real potential, just as David Archuleta and Syesha Mercado do. But... in my honest opinion, Jason Castro needs to go. Now!

Okay, that's the end of my post... I hope it made sense!

OMG! And about Chris Daughtry's top 4 exit, let's just hope that history doesn't repeat itself with David Cook. I'll have to run over to American Idol Headquarters and yell my head off! No more violent threats, because those get me in trouble! But... I will yell... darn loud, too! Because I'm very good at that. Let's just all vote for David Cook one hundred times each! That way we can keep him safe!

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  8. Finch

^ Completely agree with you, Amanda. :D And thanks for clarifying the Chris Daughtry debacle. :lol: I thought it was somewhere between top 4 and top 5.

I sincerely hope as well that Cook doesn't get knocked off anytime soon. I would scream.

9. MaddyAnn

MaddyAnn Lab Technician

I think that although Jason probably should be the next person to go, Syesha will get the boot. The fact is that women make up the majority of the voters, and the women are voting for the men.

Personally, I love David A. His voice is refreshingly pure. David C. is definetly a good singer, but I feel like I've heard his voice a thousand times. If Daughtry had never been on, I might love David C., but as it is....

Jason used to be really good. He has a nice voice when he sings softly. But he has no range and little passion. He has been slipping week by week and I really feel that it is his time to go.

I agree Carly was sent home too early, as well as Michael Johns. Hopefully we'll hear them in the future.

Basically, I think it will come down to David vs. David, and hopefully David A. will win. But either one deserves it.

10. Finch

I don't think Jason should have made it this far and he knows it. There is no way he's better than Carly or Michael. Which just reinforces the idea to me that the producers look at the votes and make their own decisions on who stays and who goes. :rolleyes:

It's not that Jason is a terrible singer, but he's just not strong enough to win and I could never see him releasing an album. Which is saying something because I think almost all of them have released an album at some point already. :lol:

As for Sayesha, she would do wonders on Broadway. I think she definitely has the voice to win but I don't think she will.

Rock'N'Roll Hall of Fame week and I'm working. Murphy's Law in full force.

11. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

I am so psyched for tonight's idol. Classic Rock is my favorite musical genre, so it'll be nice if one of them picks a song by a band in that genre. I rarely ever get to see my favorite songs performed by the Idol contestants. Though my favorite band is The Who, it was nice to see The Beatles given their own week this season! They kick butt! I can't wait to see who sings what.

And that sucks that you won't get to watch speed_cochrane. If you want, I can take notes! LOL! J/K. Actually, I'll just tell ya what songs everyone sang. Especially David Cook. I'm uber excited for his performances tonight. This is going to be a strong week for him!

And to avoid double-posting, here are my notes: a.k.a. The songs that everyone performed and my general thoughts on how they did on them (I'll probably be more specific with David Cook and David Archuleta)

I'll start with:
    Jason Castro
    I Shot The Sheriff by Bob Marley - It wasn't bad enough to make my ears bleed, but it was pretty bad. He just didn't pull it off like I thought he would.
    Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan - Okay, now this is where I was like, "Dude, what the hell were you thinking?" As Simon said, Pack your bags.

In other words, EPIC FAIL!!!!

Syesha Mercado
    Proud Mary by Tina Turner - She actually performed this very well. She exuded the very energy you would expect from Tina, and I was very happy to see her do well again. She's one hell of a performer, to boot.
    Change Is Coming by Sam Cook - This was a slow song, and it took a lot of care to hit the high notes. She did it perfectly, right up until the very end. She blew me away.

David Archuleta
    Stand By Me by Ben E. King - Wow... just... wow. He was amazing with this song. He has a talent for ballads that is beyond anything I've heard before. He has a beautiful voice, and a very controlled falsetto.
    Love Me Tender by Elvis Presley - For a song he didn't know all that well, he seemed very comfortable with it. He sang every word with great care, holding every note to perfection. The last note was shaky, but he held on and wowed me once again.

David Cook
    Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran - I have to say, he started the show off very well. I was like, YAY DAVID! Then I heard that he was singing Duran Duran and got a bit worried. But he kicked butt. I loved every second of it, and wished he had gone on longer. I couldn't wait until his next song. He did very well.
    Baba O'Riley by The Who - Okay, let me be completely honest (whoa, get outta my head, Simon). When I heard he was singing The Who (and the theme song to CSI: New York, nonetheless) I got uber excited. Then I got nervous. This is by far my favorite song ever, so I was scared that he wouldn't do well and would ruin it. He didn't. I loved how he arranged it so it wasn't The Who, but David Cook. He made it his own, and it was perfect. He held on to some of the key things that make it Baba O'Riley, but put in his own stuff to go with it. Ten outta ten, baby!

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  12. Finch

BABA FRICKIN' O'RILEY!

Hella yes.

I managed to catch the last half hour when I got home from work, though I do appreciate your thoughts and list of the songs, since I missed the first songs of some of them. :) Thanks!

Ah David Cook. I love him. The Who. That is all.

This made me happier than when Amanda Overmeyer did 'Carry On My Wayward Son'. Gosh, gotta love Classic Rock.

*sighs* Great week for both Davids and I have to reiterate what Simon said to Jason--pack your bags honey, t'wasn't good enough by a mile.

Gah. THE WHO. *squishles David Cook* I really wished his rendition went a little longer, though I do understand it's quite hard to come up with an arrangment for that song. It's a bit er...odd in some places. I can't believe my parents muted the show so I couldn't hear what song he picked until they started playing. :lol: My parents are cute.

13. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Yeah the final definitely should be between the two Davids. I prefer David C, but I think David A will win due to the teen fan base overall. But sometimes being second runner up is better, they don't have to have that AI stigmata over their head for the rest of their life.

David doing The Who was awesome.

14. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

Okay, this is where Amanda gets so happy she loses her mind. She starts speaking in the third person and it gets on people's nerves, but they get over it eventually. She's good about it, because that's how she writes most of the time anyway.

The reason she is this happy is because Jason Castro was eliminated from American Idol tonight, and there is nothing that could've possibly cheered her up after the day she had today. Go America, you finally got it right this time! ;-)

15. MaddyAnn

MaddyAnn Lab Technician

I'm with you, Amanda_Ruth. I'm glad to see Jason go. He's funny and has a nice voice, but last night was a DISASTER. I was a little worried that he might get the "teen vote" (I hate saying that since I'm a teen myself), and was very pleased to see Syesha stay. She has a good voice and clearly deserves the spot more than Jason.

At this point I think we can all say with some certainty that it will be a David vs. David finale. Unless either David really blows it and Syesha does perfect...but I doubt that will happen.

I can't believe we're at the top 3. This season has flown by, hasn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.