Dourdan Arrested

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Seraphira

Seraphira Victim

I just recently heard all of this about gary, heard rumors about him being a wife beater and all this and now hitting a camara man and now being charged for drug poession??! What the flaming Bleep is wrong with him!?

I totally respected him before, but now he's lost my respect, and being a fan of gary, poof out the window! I think CSB fired his butt, that's what i think, because of all of this stuff he's doing. Shame on u gary!!:scream::scream:

He needs to learn control, but tmz does get into the faces of people but still doesn't give gary a warrent beat the snot out of him. He should have walked away and ignored the guy.

Seraphira

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

No meth? :confused: [/midnight_tiptoes]

I mean, seriously--it sounds like the guy had a pharmacy in his car. I guess if anyone was wondering why he's departing CSI, well, they've got their answer now.

I'm not one who believes anything is solved by putting drug users in jail, but it's also a choice one makes. He's definitely paying a heavy price for it, but given his track record, I'm guessing this was a last-straw kind of thing.

Hey, on Lost they boot you if you get a DUI. :eek:

3. TML

TML Hit and Run

When I logged on to Yahoo! about 10 minutes ago, this was on the front page. My first reaction was, "Holy $#!%!" :eek:

4. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

Ahh, yeah this all makes perfectly good sense.

Theres a link to the BBC website that has the details of his arrest. Sadly, even though he is leaving the show, the mud has now stuck. His managment company and CBS has so far declined to say anything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7374778.stm

It does come into question, how he played Warricks' drug addiction so well, the bags under his eyes are real.

It is sad cause I really do like Warrick the character.

5. byline

byline CSI Level One

Well, the thing is, we don't know what CBS had done for Dourdan prior to this. It may have been a tough-love approach where he was offered rehab but told that if he didn't confront the problem and resolve it for his own good, he would be fired. Of course, what I'm saying is pure speculation too, but that's the point; we just don't know what was happening behind the scenes.

I wish Dourdan well, and hope he's able to get the help he needs. Addiction is a badly misunderstood, demonized condition. But the sad truth is that when anything interferes with a person's ability to do his or her job, and especially when that's self-inflicted, sometimes there's only so much an employer can do before they have to put the wellbeing of the rest of its employees first. That may have been the case here.

6. byline

byline CSI Level One

Addiction isn't a rational condition. Plenty of intelligent, even brilliant, people have struggled with addiction. If all it took were smarts, very few people would ever become addicted.

I believe in the theory of addictive personalities, I guess because I have known several. I really do believe -- and maybe this is hereditary, though I'm not sure -- that some people's brains come hardwired with addictive tendencies, and certain triggers make them more susceptible than others to excesses in certain areas, whether it's food, cigarettes, alcohol, mood-altering drugs, whatever. I know that when it came time to quit smoking, my father just did it one day and never had any problem. My mother, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. She said quitting was the hardest thing she'd ever done.

In fact, I know someone who has been overcome her addiction to just about every drug you can imagine, and even she said that quitting smoking was the hardest of all of them, maybe because it was the last "crutch" she leaned on. Still, even though she suffers terribly from emphysema, whenever she smells cigarette smoke, she feels both sick but also that intense craving all over again. Strange.

7. Seraphira

Seraphira Victim

hi candy,

how are you doing sweetheart? Me i am good still in shock on what gary did, I do too also loved the charatcher warrick brown, we even have the same last name lol. I do feel the same way that they should treat him in a special clinic, and most likely suffers from a stress disorder, which caused him to take drugs in the first place. Pressure that extreme can rundown a person, even in the best of times. But i don't condone his actions he has done, he should have been smarter then that. When he beat that camra man, i heard him say on the video "I know all the cops around here, they're my friends." what does he think he's a real csi or something or he's something special? Sorry i'm still steamed at gary for what he did.

People at my work bug me about it "hey Brown you can't arrest those virus samples you know!", "hey u married to warrick, you two have the same last name", "just so you know that brown ur not a crimalist but a virologist", "hey did you leave ur gun at home??" lol I get that kind of crap at work. Believe me my work is far more sinster then a CSI, same detail but these "killers" i deal with on a daily basis are perfect killing machines and they show no remorse. But I love my job, i get to travel and meet alot of interesting people along the way, I usually deal with bio-level 4 viruses, such as margburg virus, ebola, hanta virus and other viruses in filo RNA range. 12 Years of schooling and major bills later lol.

Seraphira

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  8. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

in the past, yes. when the real effects of drugs weren't discovered yet, people didn't know. but now? i don't agree that brilliant people are just as likely to get addicted as anybody else. i think being addicted to drugs, today, is in most cases plainly a result of absolute stupidity.

cuz on one hand we have plenty of people who are just curious, and try things out for the sake of adventure, and there are those who let the drugs take over their lives. it's not like they are forced to do anything, it's their choice.
    that's pretty interesting. i think that maybe it's not that those people have 'addictive' genes but maybe their willpower is weaker than average or they are easily influenced by others.

i know i'm harsh on them but this is how i think everyone should be. if we pat them on the back, say it's not their fault, and find them excuses, it will only make them justify their actions and continue to do what they do. and that's absolutely not what they need.

9. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

10. byline

byline CSI Level One

We know the effect of the sun on skin cancer, yet plenty of perfectly intelligent people still sunbathe. We know the linkage between alcohol and various health conditions, yet plenty of perfectly intelligent people still drink. We know the effect of overeating as it relates to all kinds of health issues, yet plenty of perfectly intelligent people still overeat. That's because these aren't entirely rational choices that people are making. And particularly in the area of substance abuse, what they may be doing is self-medicating to cope with emotional issues, not rational ones.

If knowledge were all it took to prevent abuse of any substance, then there would be no such thing as substance abuse. But the brain is not a strictly rational thing, and that's what people forget. They think that emotions are completely separate from rational thought, but where do our emotions come from? The brain, of course. The two are not separate, but are inextricably linked. And for people with a brain chemistry that skews toward addiction, those lines are even more blurred.

I understand that you don't buy that, but I find the evidence pointing to linkage between genetically inherited addictive tendencies to be quite compelling.

11. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

please, do not compare heroin to sunbathing! lmao

there are things in life that are not healthy that people do, of course. people drink alkohol and sunbathe without a UV lotion. does it make them dead? not really. does it even make them sick? on a rare occasion. i've done all that many times and so far i'm the healthiest i've ever been.

with all those things, you need to be smart enough to know when to stop and be responsible for what you do. you can't stay at the sun for 4 straight days in a 100 F weather without water b/c you'll die. you can't drink 30 shots of vodka in half an hour b/c same thing's gonna happen. people who overeat to the point where it's unsafe for their health are not the smartest out there. no matter how brilliant they could be in math.

with heroin there is no limit like that. there is no point that you know you gotta stop b/c you just cannot start in the first place. i'm sorry but heroin addicts can blame only their stupidity and have no right calling themselves smart. there is more to being smart than having a songwriting talent or whatever else.

i'm not a researcher on this matter. the genetic tendencies to being an addictive person might as well be very true. would it justify anybody's actions? IMO, absolutely not. you are not a preprogrammed robot that blindly does whatever it's told by your genes. you have your own brain, and if there isn't enough logic in it so that you go with your impulses, that's your fault.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

That's pretty much how I feel on the matter. Excusing behavior that's essentially the result of free will isn't helping people. You can have sympathy for someone without condoning--or enabling--what they're doing.

13. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I was expecting pot as one of the found drugs. But apparently these are Gary's drugs of choice, which is just sad.

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

You were the one who opened that door by saying that intelligent people don't do these things when given information demonstrating how harmful they are. I was simply giving examples -- and there are plenty more -- of actions perfectly intelligent people take even when knowing full well how harmful to their own health those actions may be. Overexposure to the sun causes skin cancer, yet people contiunue to sunbathe. Smoking causes lung cancer and a whole host of other health problems, yet many people -- even intelligent ones -- still smoke. Alcohol -- even as little as one glass a day -- has been linked to a whole host of health concerns, yet intelligent people still drink. Overeating has likewise been linked to myriad health issues, yet intelligent people are overweight and obese. So it's obvious that knowing these things is not the single overriding factor determining individuals' behavior. If it were, the North American populace would be far healthier than it is.

Look, exploring complex brain patterns isn't the same as excusing behavior. However, it does provide another avenue of treatment for addiction. Of course, in the end, that does involve free will because a person has to choose to seek that treatment, and then go through the excruciating process of rehab. Understanding the science behind addiction doesn't mean people aren't responsible for their behavior; we're all responsible for the choices we make, informed or otherwise. But it doesn't mean we have to demonize them, either.

15. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

no, i didn't. i was refering strictly to drugs. let me remind you what i said:

i already answered to that.
    idk where you got that information. actually alkohol in small portions, like a glass of wine a day, is very healthy. i suggest glancing here.