Old Styles

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by JamesJoker, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Seren_y_Gogledd

Seren_y_Gogledd Rookie

I agree Fay, while I don't miss the blue lighting, and I like some of the changes (Among others, Hawkes transferring to the field, Sid Hammerback, Mac losing the ties, Flack's hair, and I should probably mention Adam considering who I'm quoting :lol: ) the decision to concentrate solely on the rich people in Manhattan has been a bad one for many viewers. So many shows are set in New York anyway, and nearly all of those are also set in Manhattan. If we wanted Sex And The City we'd watch that instead. It's saying something that a fashion-based show like Ugly Betty shows us more of Queens than a show about the NYPD!

I can't speak for everyone who enjoys the show, but I for one would like to see more of Queens (come on, even if you disagree it'd make for a good Flack story!), Brooklyn, Staten Island etc.

2. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

I agree with many posters above about missing cases that are not centered on Manhattan-upper-class-beautiful people but besides that I don't miss anything, I didn't like the blue filter or the dark atmosphere and 2 of my favourite characters (Adam and Sid) weren't there and I love the humour they add to the show.
    Oh, and, erm, I miss Mac's ties. *lol*

3. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I kind of miss it. I didn't really get into it till Season 2 and watching it when mum and dad had it on downstairs but when i went back and watched Season 1 I did find it more interesting and sounds wierd but slightly creepier.

S1 did have some of my favourite episodes and quotes the dog show was crazy but I loved it.

I didn't like the dark filter I think because LV works at night and I have recently got really frustrated at how dark it is to watch. I like it when its brighter and shows NY as the buzzing city it is but its not as full on as Miami.

But then i like it now because its quite modern and up to date with the building it works before with all the gadgets in the old lab i don't think we would have got the same image. And the bringing in of Adam and Sid it works with what they have I don't think it would have possibly worked as well if it were darker.

I would like to see more everyday people not upper class but i think changing it worked but it'd be nice to bring some of the case styles almost back.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Damn straight! :lol:

5. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

I was thinking, that Adam and Sid, well especially Sid wouldn't fit in that S1 atmosphere. I wonder where Hawkes' creepiness went. He was a bit on the odd side too when he was an ME, and I loved it because it fitted it him very well.

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

since ratings have dropped a good 40% for 10 pm shows, its next to impossible to compare. Its relative to the other shows that count. I know for the Toronto area ratings that are published in the paper every week, NY is doing WAY better than earlier seasons. They never reached the top 10, but are now in every week. I don't think it was only ratings, for the change though...i don't think it turned out on film the way they had hoped. The set wasn't that great, and i like the wardrobe changes too.

Season 1 isn't bad, just too similar to vegas, and very formulaic. It is annoying with the rich people, but overall i prefer the new style. Its more exciting, better character additions (sid, adam, etc.) and looks fantastic with the new set. Also the character storylines and the more police feel to the show makes it stand out as a different show than Vegas.

7. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

I never thought NY's first season was that similar to Vegas at all...in my opinion, of course. ;)

But yes...I definitely miss the darker, grittier look and feel of the first season. I never cared for the blue filter, though, but I liked the old sets, especially the morgue.

I also liked the fact that the cases centered on victims from all walks of life, not just the ultra rich and gorgeous. There were many episodes that season that stayed with me way after the end credits rolled be it because they disturbed me or touched me. Seasons 2-4...there were maybe a handful of episodes that affected me in that way.

Aiden was never a favorite character of mine while she was on the show...but having seen what came after, I guess it's a case of you don't know what you've got til it's gone. I have a far greater appreciation for Aiden Burn and Vanessa Ferlito these days.

That being said, the later seasons haven't been bad at all, and there's been things I've loved about them-mainly the additions of Sid and Adam--but I do feel the show is missing some of that New York feel that was present in the first season.

8. Seren_y_Gogledd

Seren_y_Gogledd Rookie

It's been hinted at that Sid was around in S1, it's just that we never saw him(obviously because Robert Joy hadn't been cast yet, but it's an interesting bit of backstory). I can't remember the exact episode but it's from this season and Sid says something like "back when we were colleagues".

9. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

personally I dont miss S1 at all

the only two people I actually liked back then were Flack and Hawkes

I never really liked Aiden, I simply couldnt understand where she was coming from and she kinda annoyed me. I like Lindsay so much more

the addition of Adam and Sid were good choices too

the thing I miss the least form S1 is Danny Boy - the selfish, impulsive, reckless jerk that seemed to like to go with his head against the wall just because. and Im kinda sad to see the self-centered jerk making a come-back in latest episodes

so no. I dont want S1 back, I want S2 back - pretty please with a cherry on the top

10. owlki

owlki Witness

I miss S1 so much! I loved the blue filter and the grittiness of the show. I started watching LV and NY (never cared for Miami) around 2005 if I'm not mistaken, while I was living in UK. I remember that, back in the day, I'd identify the CSIs by color, not being familiar with the characters yet. Green for LV, blue for NY and I'd change channels if it was orange (Miami). :lol:

Then, I obviously became addicted and bought all the DVD sets for both shows.

The NY sets were amazing, had a charm and a melancholy that set them apart from everything else. Hawkes having a little room in the morgue where he could sleep between all the workload was pure gold. I remember that in the DVD commentary they said that they thought that he had so much work to do because of the 9/11 attacks that he decided to sleep there. It showed his commitment with his job and the wish to bring answers to the vic's families ASAP. I could feel 9/11 affecting the city and not only through Mac.

Mac's bio was incredibly touching. For me it was romantic and beautiful the idea of a powerful and driven man that couldn't bring himself to take his wedding ring off, even after years of widowhood, still haunted by his wife's tragic death. It was love in its purest, not the soap opera we see now.

And Danny... Danny was instinct and obsession, seeking restlessly for justice. His eagerness to prove to Mac that he could be much more than a punk coming from a troubled neighbourhood was truly endearing and kept me on the edge of my seat all the time.

Flack didn't change much for me but I can say that I like him best now, snarkier, sans leather jacket and fluffy hair. I also prefer Stella now, she was too uptight before, almost rude at times.

I'm not saying I don't like CSI:NY now... It's my favourite show, after all... but the storylines and the atmosphere used to stir my emotions much more back then. I don't know, I think the crimes and the criminals were much more believable, seemed harder to catch the guilty ones... finally finding the evidence to condemn them seemed much more pleasurable... Now everything seems easier, if you know what I mean. I don't sit all tense anymore, wondering if they'll be able to find the evidence to catch the bad guy or not... Now I'm sure they will and this is just sad. Takes much of the watching experience away.

Season 1 is when I fell in love with the series. I don't know if it would be the same if I started watching it during season 3 or 4. Now is much more comical and I miss S1's morbid humour - but don't take me wrong, I love Adam and Sid. They are part of what makes me keep watching after so much of the old character of the show was taken...

That so sums up my thoughts about Aiden and her replacement.

11. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Yes, I first saw season 1. And by coincidence, On the Job, and I tuned in right at the scene between Danny and Flack in the diner. And I tuned in week, after week, and discovered CSI:NY. And before I knew it I got to this point. I still love NY (otherwise I wouldn't be here ranting all the time about it), but there is still something missing. I miss cases like A Man a Mile, Outside Man, Rain, Officer Blue, Dove Commission, Recycling, Blink, and the list can go on. I don't like the fact that NY was "pimped out" so to speak.

Aiden, wasn't my favorite either, but I liked the brother-sister vibe she had with Danny. I can't say that I miss her, but I miss the character dynamic, but as Thumphyg42 has perfectly put it, you don't realize what you've had until it's gone.

ETA: What really NY is missing these days is the perfect dynamic between the forensics, cases and characters. Back then, everything was molded perfectly and it worked brilliantly.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008