Horatio/DC#14: Even heroes have the right to bleed

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Lucy, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ulysses

ulysses Victim

Hi everyone.

Finally managed to see "To Kill a Predator." I have to say I was pretty impressed with it as a whole. I LOVE moral ambiguity… and not just from H at the end, but throughout the whole episode from the daughter, the lifeguard, the father of the dead girl, the newswoman who did the tv program (sorry, I suck at names).

Horatio. Man… what an ending. We could spend all day arguing over whether what he did at the end was right or not. That's the point. But I guess what I'm responding to is the statements that H is a hypocrite, he's inconsistent, etc. I mean, how consistent are people REALLY? If we're going to ask for some realism in character and not some mere cardboard SuperH, then yeah, we're going to get some inconsistency. That's the most human you can get. Can't get any more human than that. We all know from personal experience that people say one thing and do another, constantly contradicting themselves. H is no different. There's no doubt that he's the hero of the show, but the point is that we CAN'T put him on a pedestal and we SHOULDN'T… because maybe, just maybe, at the end of the day, he's just a regular cop after all. Love the moral ambiguity, love love love it.

Regarding the evolution of his character… He's changed for sure since the early seasons. The hero we fell in love with in the early seasons was Horatio. The hero we see now is Lieutenant Caine. Slowly, the masks he has on have morphed into one, and that is the one we see now. After years, it's only natural to show he's become a bit jaded. He definitely has his gentler moments, but to ask that he return to Horatio of seasons 1-3 is hard to come by after Marisol, Kyle, Brazil, etc. Horatio's just a fragment under the surface now; the primary persona is Lt. Caine.

Oh, just a side thing: I loved when that guy asked him if he was a parent. I wonder what H was thinking… Nice little reminder from the writers.

2. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

I agree that H has changed over the years, and that he's not the "hero" he used to be - my main issue is that everyone keeps treating him like he's still that hero when he's not. There are never any consequences for his "human" actions - unlike the rest of his team.

I doubt his actions in "To Kill A Predator" will ever be addressed, but what irks me more is that Horatio is turning into a LIAR. I wouldn't mind all this "character development" if it actually developed the character, but instead they just throw it out there and don't address. Now H is a liar - he had to lie to explain what happened to the guy and why he was beat up. Meanwhile, he always prided himself of telling the truth, and passing that onto the team.

H betrayed the team w/his actions, and there needs to be consequences for that. While the character may be headed down a dark path, TPTB are not doing a good job of showing the repercussions. If there was drama that was created from all this, or consequences, then fine - let's see H (and the team) DEAL with it. If not, then stop the freakin' character assassination of Horatio Caine.

Personally, I think there are two sides to Horatio, as well — "H" (superhuman, cool, etc). and "Horatio" (caring, compassionate, etc). Too much of either is not good. Lately, it's been all "H" and no "Horatio." Did this man lose all his compassion and care for his team? He is way too distant and removed.

I never thought Seasons 1-3 H were "less human" - on the contrary, I thought he was much more human then than he is now. What they're resorting to now are just gimmicks with no development - it's all just thrown out there and then forgotten about. The old Horatio really resonated w/a lot of people b/c his compassion drove him. Now it's his anger, apparently, but he's so untouchable and DIFFERENT that it's hard to relate to him. He's not a hero, but he's not supposed to be a bad guy either.

Yea, I wanna see H be human, but if he's gonna be human, then let the man get a freakin' papercut or something! Let there be consequences for his actions. These new "issues" of his need to be addressed, not made worse. Let's see him trying to cope w/this stuff - now that would be great character development.

3. ulysses

ulysses Victim

Oh, I think there should be reprecussions and consequences for his behavior too, don't get me wrong. I think we'll have to wait though. Since when do we get resolution within the next episode? We'll have to wait for finales and sweeps... :lol: Hopefully, it's building...?

4. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

^I agree. We might get to see the consequences of his actions in the season finale. Well first of all did he even do anything to the guy? We don't know.

Maybe the scene was put in on purpose so that whoever's out to get the team has dirt to dig up on H to "destroy" him in that sense. And it's upto H to step up and take responsibility for his actions. But well I guess there maybe consequences but he'll get off scott free like in 'All In'.

Maybe tptb also are trying to show a flawed H, not the perfect hero he's made out to be. Afterall we've been wanting a more human H, and like ulysses said how better to show how human one is than to show his flaws. But I guess we wanted to see him bleed a little also. Who knows we might even get that soon. :)

5. Missing

Missing Pathologist

I have to say that after watching Monday episode and seeing H in the tunnel to the bank, I think we can say that it is just plain gossip.

6. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:devil::guffaw::devil:

Amen! Nothing silences like a well-timed visual aid, and all before the opening credits.

7. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

^:lol:

But is it just me or did H look exceptionally hot in 'Tunnel Vision'. I don't know but I was :drool: over him the whole time, and it's been awhile since I've done that for an entire epy.

Loved the digs H took at the bad guy, "Shall I call you a cab?" :guffaw:

And H handling and processing evidence at the crime scene instead of standing round and "supervising" everyone. Loved it.

Hmmm.... someone is listening. Tptb? We want H to bleed..... season finale maybe? ;)

8. dogbert14

dogbert14 Rookie

Does anybody know David Caruso's address?

9. CSIz_4_H

CSIz_4_H CSI Level One

No, trust me, it wasn't just you..he did look really hot in the episode.:drool: I noticed it too...my H o'meter was going off big time.:lol:...and when he was working the crime scene.:thumbsup:

10. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

H o'meter :lol: Reckon I have one too, and it was registering a max score the entire epy! He was just so :drool:. I hope he continues to do all that lab/working crime scene stuff in the next epys too! Sorry for being so fangirly. :p

11. katelynn

katelynn Lab Technician

do you mean fan address?
    If you mean his actual living address I doubt if anyone on here (if someone does actually have it) that they would give it out.
    But his fan address is probably already floating around here.

12. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

I'm really looking forward to the finale. I think there's a good chance our thread name will come through ie H bleeding. *keeps fingers crossed*

I'm excited, can't wait. :)

But I'm really glad we got H in solid colours in 'Rock and A Hard Place'. I missed seeing him in that for the longest time. All I can say is so far I'm happy with the post strike H, yes killing the Mala Noche and all.

13. MaddyAnn

MaddyAnn Lab Technician

Hey! Joining the Horatio fan club!

I didn't think "down the wire" was the greatest of episodes. Truth be told the promo had me all excited and the actual eppy was kind of disappointing. I hope that's not true for the finale.
    The promo looked awesome! Horatio actually falling face forward....can it be that the Mighty One has been injured on duty? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
  14. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

^Yeah I'm really really excited about the finale. It really does look like we're going to get what we want. Awesome!

I mean we love H but it's time to see him bleed and not just some cut like in 'Body Count' but the promo looked like he was like bleeding a lot! But I know how promos can be misleading. But whatever it is if he gets shot, I know he'll be ok. Cos well he's H. :cool:

I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Oh and welome MaddyAnn. :)

15. CSIz_4_H

CSIz_4_H CSI Level One

^I agree...
    the promo for the finale looks pretty good...I had to double check cause I thought I was seeing things when I seen H down...It'll be interesting to see how it plays out....looks like 'our hero' finally got his right to bleed like the thread title says.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.