What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that_girl1

that_girl1 Coroner

I am currently reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I had to do a research paper on her poem "Daddy" and this novel was mentioned several times. I went to the bookstore to see if I could find The Perks of Being a Wallflower but unfortunately I couldn't find it and I stumbled upon The Bell Jar. I'm very excited to read it.

2. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Ok I've got a few new ones to add that I've finished.

Romeo and Juliet obviously had to read this for school. I actually enjoyed the play, I thought it was fascinating to see how accurate people are when they reference it. I underestimated how emotional of a book it is. I really enjoyed it, glad to have read it.

The Firm by John Grisham
    Excellent Grisham novel, the characters were more real than they usually are in Grisham novels. The plot was well written and well paced, I love how it was written so you could see the protagonist's conflict over what to do. Definitely one of Grisham's better books.

The Christmas Train by David Baldacci
    This book was amazingly well written. The setting was written in a way that you really imagine it and all the character's of the story were fascinating in their own way. I didn't really like the end where we find out the truth about why some of the people were on the train. Otherwise an amazing book.

3. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

I am reading the Twilight series. These books are quite possibly the most popular pieces of literature in my school, far more read than most science textbooks, and almost EVERYONE has read them. I, however, had no interest in reading them until a friend of my mother's brought the book over and said I would like it. So, bored out of my mind after finishing my Tudor novels, I started reading it.

Lo and behold, the story of Edward and Bella got me addicted. The way the writer conveys the characters and their emotions & actions is so believable it's like it's actually happening to you. After finishing the first book in under a week, I begged my best friend to get me the second one New Moon. I'm still working on it, but I don't think I've felt so strongly about a book in a very long time.

I'd highly recommend these books.

4. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

I am currently reading Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis LeHane, it's about the abduction of a 4 year old girl. The film based on the novel has not been released here in the UK as yet, so I thought I'd read the novel before I see the film, I'm just over half way through. I'm really enjoying it, it is really well written, I definetly recommend it to anyone who likes Crime Novels/Thrillers.
    I have also recently read, Sin City, Binding Ties and Grave Matters, By Max Allan Collins, They are CSI novels, he is a fantastic writer, I totally recommend any of his books to my fellow CSI fans, I'd have to say he's one of my favourite authors. :)

5. lunalupi

lunalupi Victim

I just finished reading two books today, one Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot) called Mrs McGinty's Dead - I love Agatha Christie, and other murder mysteries like Sherlock Holmes too.

Also read a Rom-Com type book called The First Wives Club, all about three women who are friends having to attend the funeral of a fourth friend who committed suicide over her divorce. Then when the three of them are also left by their own husbands for younger women, they decided to get even on the men :D

Adorable - that first book sounds interesting, I might see if I can get hold of a copy.

6. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^I watched the movie, interesting one. My only problem with it was that Casey Affleck looks way too much as a good boy to play a tough one.

I've just finished Mad Monkton and other stories by Wilkie Collins, great if you like ghost stories, btw, if you haven't read The woman in white and The Moonstone by the same author, you have to do it, great mystery books.

Now I'm readind Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon, that one was also made a film, about a professor and novelist that has been unable to finish his second novel after the big success of his first one.

7. CSI_Bevin

CSI_Bevin Hit and Run

I'm reading the second novel in the series Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz. It's about the "blue bloods" in American society, but they are actually vampires.

8. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

Okay. I went to the book store the other day with no intention of buying anything. I ended up leaving with Nevermore the Supernatural Book and Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. honestly, the second one is the funniest thing I've ever read, and I've only read 40 pgs. I was hooked by the fact that the only info you're given on the back is that the world is going to end "on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just after tea..."
    I'm also reading a satyrical humour book called FAT by Rob Grant, which amuses me to no end. And yet another book about serial killers and true crime. I've got a few others on the go that I might attempt to finish at some time.

9. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

I have a few books on the go at the moment - I might actually finish one at some point.

There's The Road by Cormac McCarthy which is interesting, but the style of writing makes it quite a challenging read. It doesn't particularly flow and certain grammar conventions don't seem to be used which makes certain things hard to follow or the order of speech isn't apparent instantly.

In Vancouver Airport, I realised I hadn't got any reading material for the flight home, since I finished the CSI:NY novel Deluge on the flight to Canada. So I bought Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez which came highly recommended by the woman behind the counter in the bookshop. Obviously she'd been recommending it a lot - half the passengers on my flight seemed to be reading it. It's a good insight into life in Afghanistan and a good story, but honestly I think Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner, A Thousand Spendid Suns) writes better books relating to Afghan life and culture.

I've also been making my way through Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion for some time. I really do need to make an effort to finish that - it just got to a point where it was a little heavy on the Darwinism...

10. Joycie84

Joycie84 CSI Level One

I just finished "Atonement" by Ian McEwan. Loved it! I just started reading "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby. I'm a big fan of the movie, but the book is a liitle different. But I'm liking it so far. :thumbsup:

11. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I haven't had the time to read in a while, I still have a half-read book lying around (Heart of darkness by Joseph Conrad) I bought it for Uni but never read it, then I dropped out of Uni and I felt it was a waste of money to buy a book and not read it so I started to read. Didn't come far, it wasn't really interesting as far as I remember...

I mostly read magazines and online texts nowadays, they're not as long and challenging as books are. I'm a lazy person lately...

Today I read the latest issue of playboy. It was interesting. :D (and the pictures were pretty ;))

12. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

I have to agree with you on that one, Casey Affleck is definitely not how I imagined Patrick Kenzie from reading the book... Looking at IMDB, none of the casted actors are how I imaged them to be...

Anyways, I am now reading Body Of Evidence, another one of Max Allan Collins' CSI novels. He's a fantastic author, one of my favourites, the book is really good even though I'm not very far into it yet, but it's as good as the rest of them, I'd totally recommend any of them to fellow CSI fans. :D

13. Carmine_lover

Carmine_lover Witness

I'm reading a great book from john grisham,i tought it was from 2006,the title is called the innocent man,i loved that book so mutch.
    when you read it you fell verry sorry for Ron what he's all going trough,it damn verry hard for him,just 5 chapters and then i now the whole story:).

14. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

I am re-reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez "About love and other demons" and tomorrow I want to go to an old book store and buy everything they have written by Marquez :D

15. Vonnie

Vonnie Victim

I just recently finished The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory. On average I don't really like stories told in first person point of view, but this one really sucked me in. I can't wait to read her other tales of the Tudors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.