Breaking Point

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Hrockz, Apr 14, 2008.

1. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Julia! Where you at? [​IMG] :D

Another great update, Hrockz! :)

2. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Sorry for leaving everyone hanging for so long, real life got a little busy... but anyways back to the story:

"Lieutenant, is your friend a diabetic?" The doctor asked. He wore a mask of seriousness, and Horatio got a feeling he wasn't going to dispense very good news.

"Not that I know of... why?" Horatio cocked his head.

"The patient went into hypoglycemic shock."

"You mean like when a diabetic injects himself with insulin and doesn't eat after that?"

"Yes, but to a more serious degree. We see that sometimes in elderly patients who accidentally overdose themselves on their insulin...."

It was beginning to make sense in Horatio's had. Julia was a nurse, she'd know what to do hurt, even try to kill Yelina. And her method might make it quite impossible to prove in a court of law.

"..... if not treated promptly can lead to shock, coma and even death."

The last word jarred Horatio out of his thoughts. Something in him snapped. He grabbed the doctor by his coat collar and slammed him back against the wall.

"She can't be dead. Bring her back! Don't give up on her!"

"Please, Lieutenant... " the doctor tried to reason with the angry Horatio. "I didn't say she was dead..."

Horatio took in a breath and let go of the hapless doctor. "I... I ah.... I apologise, I don't know...."

The doctor shook his head. "We managed to revive her.... but in revive I mean get her heart beating again. There's no way of knowing how long it has been since she stopped breathing, it seems like a long time.... her brain is proably dead by now. She's on the ventilator. We're keeping her on it, so that you, and other loved ones can say goodbye. After that, you or her next-of-kin can make the decision to turn off the life support... or wait it out and eventually her heart will stop again."

Horatio let the words sink in. He felt like a broken man. "You're saying there's no hope."

"Unless a miracle happens.... the best case scenario is we manage to wean her off the ventilator. Even then she'll spend the rest of her days in a coma, being fed through feeding tubes. I'm not sure if that's the existence you want for her?"

Horatio stood there. His mind understood what the doctor was telling him but his heart refused to believe it. Again he felt like this was all a bad dream. Horatio was numb, everything around him faded to nothing, he could only hear the loud beating of his heart. He didn't even notice the doctor leaving, he only broke out of his trance when a nurse came to take him to see Yelina.

Yelina was in the intensive care unit. He would have to go get Ray Jr. Yelina would have wanted that, and her mother. Her sister living in Washington would also want to come. All these thoughts flooded Horatio's mind.

Horatio approached Yelina slowly. She lay on the bed, motionless, but the colour had returned to her skin. The sound of the ventilator pumping air into her lungs and the beeping of the heart monitor were the only sounds that could be heard. Horatio took her hand in his. It felt surprisingly warm. He felt such heartache, it was more than he could bare. He squeezed her hand. Nothing.

With a soft sigh Horatio let go of her hand and pulled up a chair next to her bed. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. He bowed his head and ran a hand though his hair. It was time to say goodbye. Where would he begin?

"Yelina..." he choked out her name.

The sudden realisation dawned on him, he could kill Julia a hundred times over but it wouldn't bring Yelina back. All the blood he could possibly shed wouldn't make this right nor soothe the pain in his heart. His days of killing and revenge wouldn't bring her back. All he felt was remorse.

"I'm so sorry...." he managed, as the first tear fell from his eye and splattered onto his pants.

He would never see her again. Never hear her encouraging words, see her beautiful smile, smell her intoxicating perfume. She had once said that she would always need him, truth was it was him who needed her. He had vowed to protect her, but it was her who had always looked out for him. Realising it now was too late. He had always assumed she would be there, calling her when he needed to see her to fulfill some whim of his, just to see her on the pretense of work or Ray Jr, lately he wasn't even sure if he had felt for her like he used to. He had taken for granted that she'd always be there.

And now it was too late. Horatio began to cry. He burried his face in his hands. He didn't bother trying to hide his emotions now. He hid it from her before and lit got him nowhere. He loved her, more than anyone else in the world, and it took this to remind him so. She was his confidante, soulmate. And now she would be no more. Horatio began to sob.

"I.... I.... love you.... so much." Horatio choked between sobs. He didn't care if it was loud enough for Yelina to hear. It didn't matter.

Horatio felt empty. For the first time in more than a year, he began to feel again, and it was unbearable. He had realised it all too late and he was consumed with bitterness.

If he had a breaking point this had to be it. He felt gult, remorse and regret. Horatio sobbed till his body shook.....

--------------------------------------------------

That was almost two weeks ago. Now standing under the shade of a tall tree, his hands on his hips, Horatio stared out at the green expanse before him. His sunglasses shielded his eyes from the sun, and also helped shied the world from his emotions which he wore more openly since that faithful day. The place was quiet, except for the occasional chirping of the birds. It was tranquil, much like Horatio's frame of mind.

The pain of loss was still fresh in his heart, so fresh his heart still ached. But he felt at peace. For the first time in a long while since the Mala Noche took away Marisol and then Raymond, he felt peace. He didn't have to wear that outer shell of anger and coldness anymore. He didn't have to wallow in self-pity and sadness anymore. It was good to feel again, and he felt alive.

He shifted his weight from one leg to the other and turned slightly. The crisp, green grass under his feet crunched. It was ironic that it took loss to bring peace back into his life. But it was good.....

To be continued..... it isn't the end yet! :)

3. Jenna_Caine

Jenna_Caine Police Officer

Okay... Where's my gun... :hunts for pistol: Better yet...

:hunts for shotgun: Heck yeah! :devil:

Julia is most definitely going down... :lol: :devil:

Nicely done, Hrockz!

4. HoratioandYelina

HoratioandYelina Rookie

:eek: Yelina can't be dead!! That's it, I'm going after Julia, who's with me?! *pulls out grenade launcher*

Great update Hrockz, can't wait for more!:thumbsup:

5. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Julia had been good. There was no way to pin the crime on her, but he would get her back. One day, just like he did with Walter Resden and Judge Ratner. But he kept closer tabs on Kyle now. He also had to concern himself with Ray Jr more now.

The shrill sound of a whistle could be heard, interupting the quiet. Horatio turned and his haze shifted to the soccer pitch which had been to the side of him.

Ray Jr noticed him and waved. Horatio smiled and waved back. He had promised the teen he'd be at his game. Satisfied, Ray focused his attention back to the game.

"There you are."

Horatio turned his head and smiled.

"You know me, I hate crowds."

Yelina walked towards him and he took her into his arms for a tight embrace. It felt so good to smell her, feel her warmth against him.

*************** flashback 10 days ago ****************

Everyone who needed to, had come to say their goodbyes. Horatio stood in Yelina's hospital room, Ray Jr by his side.

"You ready?" the doctor asked.

Horatio looked at his nephew. The teen nodded. Horatio put his arm round Ray Jr's shoulder.

The doctor switched the ventilator off, then pulled the breathing tube out of Yelina's mouth. Horatio watched as the heart monitor slowed.

Suddenly Yelina gasped, then her eyes snapped wide open.

"It could just be a reflex..." the doctor was quick to say.

He waved a hand infront of her, but her eyes held it's empty stare. He shone a light in, checking the response from her eyes. Yelina started to cough, and the doctor hurriedly gave her oxygen from the nasal prongs.

"Mom?" Ray Jr was hopeful. He wanted to rush to his mother's side but Horatio held on to him, letting the doctor check Yelina.

"Ma'am can you hear me?"

It took awhile but Yelina nodded.

"Do you know where you are?" the doctor asked.

Yelina shook her head.

"You're in the hospital, you've been through alot. Your family's here."

The doctor left her side and Ray Jr ran to his mother and they hugged.

"It's nothing short of a miracle. I'll let you guys have some time with her. I'll be back in a short while to check on her."

Horatio nodded wordlessly. He watched Yelina hold Ray. Her eyes met his, and she smiled at him. Horatio grinned back at her. He felt a weight lift off his shoulders.

"Thank you," he whispered, not directing his thanks at the doctor.

******************* end flashback ******************

"Glad you could make it." Yelina said.

"I promised him."

Yelina had made a full recovery, and suffered little ill-effects from her encounter, except memory loss from that fateful day. Good for Julia, but Horatio wasn't in a hurry to get her. Justice would be served, but not in the form of violence.

"I'll make us dinner when we get home."

Horatio hardly left her side since she was discharged from the hospital, except for work.

"Good." He leaned forward. It took loss to change him, but not many people got second chances. He was lucky to. He wasn't about to waste it.

Life was good. This was only the beginning.

--------------- THE END -------------

Hope you all like this story!

6. HoratioandYelina

HoratioandYelina Rookie

Yay happy ending! Good job Yelina!

Awesome story Hrockz! Love it!

7. Jenna_Caine

Jenna_Caine Police Officer

Yaay! Yelina didn't die!!! Still...

I'm with you!!! Aha! Here it is... :finally pulls out double-barreled shotgun: Hell yeah... :devil: :lol:

Great story, Hrockz! I loved it! :hugs:

8. HC_4_my_birthday

HC_4_my_birthday Lab Technician

Hrockz really liked this story,it shows the love the have for one another