How Much is Gas Where you Live?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Smokey, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Apr 18, 2008 12:47 am US/Eastern

Gas Mix Up Leaves Dozens Of Cars Dead Across N.J.

Diesel Fuel Accidentally Pumped In Place Of Unleaded At Up To 60 Lukoil Stations Around State

FORT LEE, N.J. (CBS) ― There was a destructive delivery to about 60 New Jersey gas station customers on Thursday night. After stopping for fuel, their evening commute came to an abrupt halt.

CBS station WCBS-TV in New York City has learned there appears to have been a problem with the gasoline.

As many as 75 cars died on highways and roads all across northern New Jersey on Thursday night after their gas tanks were inadvertently filled with diesel fuel at Lukoil stations, authorities said.

Drivers filled up, started up then heard a funny sound then their cars and motorcycles came to a dead stop disabled by an apparent bad batch of gas.

For motorcycle riders Jim Palermo and Dan Robbins, fresh full tanks of gas got them nowhere.

"We filled up the tanks and we turn on the bikes …10 seconds later it dies," Palermo said.

Added Robbins: "It kept turning over."

They consider themselves lucky because they weren't on a packed Palisades Parkway when engines conked out. The WCBS-TV chopper recorded scores of vehicles dead with hazard lights flashing could be seen, including the one belonging to Suzy Sammis.

"Forty cars were all broken down on the highway and then there goes my car," Sammis said.

A close look at the fuel coming out of the pumps showed a thin, almost odorless substance, not like regular unleaded at all.

"I heard it was water that was in the gas that was pumped into the tank," Jessica Kalieta said.

Tow trucks zipped back and forth, while drivers were turned away from at least three gas stations, creating a nervous chaos for those on the hunt for good gas.

"I gotta find some place to get gas," La Rose Saxon lamented.

It was a long night for dozens of drivers. Some even took matters into their hands by siphoning out the gas and trying to fix the problem themselves. Others were just stuck … waiting for rides -- their evening fueled by anger and frustration.

Gas station representatives say Lukoil is accepting full responsibility for the contaminated gasoline. Customers are told to contact Lukoil for help with towing, repairs and reimbursements.

Cars were stranded on Route 208 in Fair Lawn, as well as on Route 9W, the Garden State Parkway and the Palisades, officials said.

At just one station on Route 208, 18 cars died after filling up at the station, said Police Sgt. Derek Bastinck. The cars on 9W and the Palisades apparently filled up at a Lukoil station on Fletcher Avenue in Fort Lee, police said.

It was unclear Thursday night how many stations were affected.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

The above quote was posted on the 12th.

Yea well I should have filled up when gas was this cheap. I filled up yesterday and paid $1.17.4 a liter :scream:

3. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Well gas just went up to $3.57 a gallon in my state. UGH! Luckily the day before we filled it up at $3.45. 12 cent increase overnight.

4. lunalupi

lunalupi Victim

Too much is my only feeling :(

Costs me £1.06 per litre, which (after some quick maths) works out at $7.99 a US gallon - it's just not fair :scream:

edited to add = and that's pretty cheap fuel over here!

5. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Well I'm glad I filled up yesterday. Today gas prices are $1.20 per liter :scream: and on top of all this we could have a transit strike on Monday. I don't take public transit so I don't have to worry about that. I do wonder though if the gas companies have put the prices up in anticipation of more drivers on the road Monday. The greedy hungry businesses that they are :brickwall:

6. nessy

nessy Witness

It's now £1.08 a litre here at the petrol station opposite me and I need petrol desperately. The good news is that I work for the supermarket that the petrol station is part of so might find out increases/decreases before they are done.

7. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Kat, I feel you pain! In a span of three days gas went form $3.35 to $3.45 to $3.52. :scream:

I'm starting to rethink taking that out of town summer class and save to go to Disney World...much more efficent imo.

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I know what you mean. Three nights ago, I filled up at $3.37. Yesterday morning, I drove by a couple of gas stations that said $3.49 a gallon and stopped off nearby for a quick breakfast. On the way out, I saw it up to $3.65 a gallon.

Gas price jokes, not so humorous anymore.

9. CSI_Bevin

CSI_Bevin Hit and Run

Gas down the street from my apartment is about $3.35

10. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

I'm actually missing city transit now. with Calgary gas prices ranging from $1.12.90/litre downtown to $1.19.6/litre in the SE, its crazy. The only thing keeping me in my car is that its now snowing as well. and the cold sucks more than the gas prices.

11. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

We were driving to mt grandparents yesterday and i saw diesel at £1.19 a litre.. it was ridiculous though my dad said that is normal what he is paying he's just lucky he only tops up every 2 weeks.

12. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I remember like three summers ago, this gas station by my house had .99 cent a gallon gas.

Gas here, in IL, is about $3.70 a gallon. I feel like it is such a waste driving everywhere but it's been way too cold to walk.

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

This morning it was $3.39, and the convenience store guy told us it was going up so I filled up at lunch. A few hours later they had it up to $3.45, and on my way home it was up to $3.65. All at the same station in the same day here in Indiana. :wtf:

14. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

It was $3.45 at the station I passed on the way home to work today. Luckily I filled up last week at Sam's Club when it was still $3.29.

15. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

We're up to $1.20/litre here in the Toronto area. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit $1.30 soon.:rolleyes: