Grade 'Like Water for Murder'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 16, 2008.

?

How would you grade Like Water for Murder?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. A

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. A-

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. B+

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

A

Not much to add to what has already been said.

It's great that Hawkes finally had something (quite disgusting) to do and that Sid was being Sid...He always makes me laugh...

I love serial killer story arcs and I'm really intrigued by the reasoning of this guy...why those people?

The D/L stuff is still pretty confusing, but I'm still curious (especially because of all the spoilers), how this story will continue...

It kept my attention fully and I enjoyed all of it, so a solid A...

2. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

"None devoted, which shall be devoted of men, shall be redeemed; [but] shall surely be put to death."

That's a pretty solid theory. I'm interested to see how this particular part plays out. The biblical slant kind of makes sense...

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I still think it would've made more sense for her to show up at the lab to tell Mac she was there to observe and then go out on a call with them. But meh, that was hardly the biggest bone of contention I had with the episode, so your explanation works for me. :)

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It made me smile too--I think it fit far better than the original spoilers, which made me assume they'd slept together or something.

Maybe she took some self-defense classes after the Frankie incident so she'd be able to defend herself without her gun...yeah, I'm reaching and I know it. :p

That made me laugh. :p

I know! Gah!

Two Macs in one place should cause the universe to implode--or, at the very least, create a black hole. :eek:

*snort!* :lol:

The poor man misses the fun stuff. First the awesome car in "You Only Die Once" and now the shark? :lol:

Ah, the Lindsay Demonstration--I think you either love them or hate them. They tend to annoy me. Of all the ways they share evidence with the 'dumb' viewers, those bug me more than the rest, I think.

Especially given the fact that the stone used to carve their necks was from a gravestone...

The bible thing wouldn't have occurred to me, but it's interesting.

5. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Wow, fantastic ep! An A from me, and would be an A+ if it hadn't been for that D/L moment.

-I'm so glad they didn't have Mac full on cheat on Claire, because though he has flaws, Mac is not the type of guy to do that to his wife. He made a mistake, committed an indiscretion, but that doesn't make him a bad person, it makes him human. I like that he obviously felt guilty about it, and told Quinn right away that it was a mistake. Naughty Mac for kissing her, but really, Silly Quinn for kissing a married guy (though as it IS Mac, I'll let you off, hun, he is FINE!) but Good Mac for telling her it was a mistake. I really liked Quinn, she wasn't all 'You kissed me and then didn't call, so I'm gonna get ya' and she wasn't all dopey over Mac. She acted like a professional, was tough but fair, and didn't bring up the kiss thing until AFTER she was done investigating. I kinda liked the idea that she 'pined' for Mac, I can certainly understand why she would. Actually, I don't think it was so much pining for him as it was just never forgetting him and wondering what would have happened had they gone further than just a kiss. I thought it was so sweet when Mac said 'I loved my wife' and Quinn said she knows, he never let her forget that when they were working together. It shows that despite his indiscretion, Mac must have really loved Claire. Also the fact that he used the term 'loved' suggests that he's ready to move on with another new relationship. Shame it's not with Quinn, their chemistry was great, and she's definitely his type - pretty and smart and tough but with a softer side. Loved her flirting with him. She's obviously one of the 'interesting women' Lenkov said would be coming in and out of Mac's life.

-Stella's reactions to Quinn made me laugh. Letting her check out the sample and then quizzing her on how she knew Mac, and the look on her face when Flack asked if Quinn was pretty. I don't think Stella likes pretty women who know Mac from way back but who she doesn't know suddenly turning up in his life.:lol: It's nice to know that Mac has other women who are his friends besides Stella.

-Loved seeing Reed again. He looks older now, and smarter too, I like his hair. Loved his interaction with Mac. Reed was a little too eager and a little misguided, but well-intentioned- he shouldn't have promised his blog readers info he was certain he could provide, but I really liked that he wanted to tell the story for the victims, and not just to write a big story. He has integrity, and like Mac he cares about the victims and their families. I loved hearing Mac talk about Claire, it was especially nice to hear him talk about her personality a bit. I loved seeing him be all 'Stern!Daddy!Mac' with Reed but also listening to him and letting him come to the crime scene. OK, in RL he'd probably get in trouble for bringing a reporter to a crime scene, but this is CSI NY.
    Mac and Reed both seemed much more relaxed with each other - Mac enough to talk readily and openly about Claire, Reed to talk honestly and openly to Mac about what he was trying to do. Like others here, I think they must have been in touch since Some Buried Bones. Yay for both of them, and please more Mac/Reed in the future.
    I also loved how they gave Reed a few flaws but didn't make him into a Super Brat like Lindsay Willows or Ray Caine Jr.

I liked Mac's showing some sympathy towards Lindsay, and saying he cared about how the D/L thing affected her. But he didn't come down as hard on her before that as I'd expected him to.

What's with Stella putting her hair up at crime scenes? It's weird. She looks totally different. I like her with her hair down much better.

Loved Flack! I really liked that he noticed the strangulation marks, yay Flack! *pats him* And the scene at the chocolate party was great, loved his one liners and him eating the chocolate. He obviously has no qualms about taking chocolate from strangers.:lol:

Hawkes finally got some decent screen time, yay! Loved his scene with Sid and later with Danny. The shark-topsy was GROSS though.
    What was the small 9/11 reference Hawkes made? I missed that. I was too busy being amazed he was actually having scenes.

Mac driving backwards was COOL.:cool: Kudos to him for trying THAT in NYC!

Loved to see Stella go all Rambo! on that creep from the chocolate show. It's nice to see her take down a creep rather than be a victim of one.

The whole cabbie killer thing was great! I thought that last victim was the killer too, especially when PJ said the bedroom was 'to die for'. Very cool.:cool:

-The D/L moment was ok when they were talking about Jaws but when it became a Big!D/L!Moment with Lindsay saying 'this is hard' it became kinda meh for me though I get why they put that in there. Please no more D/L moments for a while. After Lindsay saying to Mac that getting involved with Danny was stupid, I hope they just stay colleagues/friends and don't get involved again and just move on.

So overall a really good ep, but now it is two weeks till the next one, right?

6. Faylinn

Yeah, next week is a repeat of "The Thing About Heroes" according to the Futon Critic.

I was just thinking about that a few minutes ago because I always hate when my hair gets all tangled and knotted after going to the beach, and I don't even have curls. I bet Melina's was horrendous after filming out there. >.<

But yeah, I'm guessing it has to do with wind and such at the beach, rather than being a style choice. :p (Did she have it pulled back somewhere that wasn't the beach, though? I can't remember...)

7. flackfan_82

flackfan_82 Witness

not a bad epi...the cabbie killer storyline is interesting, and I like the idea that he could be killing just for the sake of killing, it would be a nice change. The biblical thing makes sense, with the gravestone and apparent starting point of the church. What if he decided to go south down the street instead of north?...Was that a one way street, i didn't notice???, lol...

I felt sad for Quinn pining over Mac for so long...after just a kiss...must have been one freakin great kiss. Such a pretty woman should not have to hold on to small pieces of affection from times long ago...:(

Her evaluation of the lab grated on me. Why was she hovering over Stella so closely when she clearly pointed out the weak spot in the lab...maybe Lindsay could have used a little over-the-shoulder pressure on her to help her smarten up a bit? She really didn't seem like she was evaluating but looking for an excuse to be a part of the case...does the woman not actually have a job in Jersey after all? It was a little convenient that she happened to be an 'expert micrologist'... :rolleyes:

Loved the Hawkes/Danny interaction, made me long for times past when they'd work on cases together *sigh*

Poor Hawkes, having to cut up the shark...I gagged right along with him, the smell had to suck somethin awful...and that was gross, when they pulled out the pieces of skin, and totally unbelievable -...coz sharks peel the flesh layer by layer from their vic's? :rolleyes:...please...hunk of skin/meat combo would have been believable...paper like pieces of dermal tissue completely undigested by stomach acid even tho they found it the intestines - (I'm no shark anatomy expert, but in humans it goes: stomach, then intestine)...not so much. It's not like peeling a frickin grape. :wtf:

As usual...love me some Flack. :drool: He could not resist the chocolate, I only hope he called someone smexy to enjoy the after-effects with, tee hee...And the reality tv lover in me loved the "project runway' ref... And always love him and Stella stakin things out...they are a good bad-ass action combo.

I'm not gonna comment on the D/L thing...i'm over it...they a couple/not a couple...I no longer give a ___...:p

I'm sorry, but Reed was freakin whiney and annoying last nite...he was a good character previously...I have to agree with La Guera on the blogger note...didn't get it...

everyone else has said it all I think...solid B effort for the story...

if that's the only ringtone the Palm Treo comes with, then I'm glad I went with the crackberry...lmao:guffaw:...

8. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

Faylinn, I was actually thinking the same thing about Stella...after Frankie...

And here's the bible verse in basic English: "Any man given completely to the Lord may not be got back: he is certainly to be put to death." Hmm...

9. Faylinn

Interesting...

Speaking of the biblical bit, I noticed that there was a rosary (a set of rosary beads?--sorry, not religious, so I'm not sure which you call it) hanging from the killer's rear view mirror.

I also jotted down what the various signs said as Mac and Stella were driving by (well, actually, I asked my mom for a pen and paper and she decided to write them for me :p). Not necessarily in order:

"I'll take care of you."
    "Come home with me."
    "Trust me."
    "You're safe with me."

Stella should have been like, "That dress is fierce." :lol: [/dork]

10. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

hell YES!!

:lol::lol: ok, that made me laugh out loud...

hmmm...i agree a little bit. Maybe perhaps he knew Linds realized her mistakes, that is why.

11. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I gave the episode an A. I loved the case, I loved Quinn, I loved how things played out. The cabbie serial killer is creepy--I'm glad it's going to be an arc with him, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Agreed. I think Danny likely feels even more guilt after Lindsay's confession of love, but I think the guilt is due to the fact that he doesn't feel the same way about her that she does for him. And being an oblivious guy, he thinks the best way to smooth things over is to try to get back to being friends. Oh, Danny. :lol: She is just not going to go for that. :lol:

Gotta concur on this one, though I'm glad they didn't take things too far with him. Yeah, he showed Mac some attitude but I'm glad he backed off when Mac rather succinctly put him in his place. I don't think Reed has turned into a brat--he's just a little over-enthusiastic. I'm glad the episode didn't end with those two at odds.

About to ask...

And answered! :D Thank you guys--good catch. I look forward to seeing it play out as well.

Yeah, I think it's a given Danny and Lindsay have hung out outside of work. I imagine they've probably hooked up more than that one time in "Snow Day" for her to get the impression that they were dating. But I think he took it casually, and she didn't.

[quote[--Good Lord, Lindsay. Don't blame Danny for your -- Whoa! Lindsay just took responsibility for her actions and admitted it was unfair to blame Danny for her mistake. OK, did aliens visit after last week's episode, kidnap Lindsay and replace her with a humanoid? Don't get me wrong, I've been screaming for Lindsay to stop being selfish and to take responsibility for herself for a long time; but this just seems out of the blue after The Monologue of Doom. It would be nice to be clued in as to why Lindsay seems to have done a 180. Again, AB did fine here, but the writing isn't making me all of a sudden feel for Lindsay.[/quote]

I was shocked, too, but her trying to once again put something on Danny that shouldn't necessarily have been his responsibility (like in "Oedipus Hex") left a bad taste in my mouth.

I hope so, too. Everything certainly is screaming "BIG MISTAKE!" in neon letters.

I was irritated by that, too, for many of the same reasons. How often have we seen Mac lay into someone for letting personal stuff interfere with work? Why does Lindsay get a pass, especially when out of the group, she's the most unprofessional one (sorry, folks--Danny has never left a crime scene or passed his work off on a co-worker, or stormed out of an interrogation). If anything, Mac should have given her a formal warning. She made the lab look bad during a formal evaluation. That's a pretty big fuck up.

I think part of that is because he's been able to ease his enormous guilt over what happened with Ruben by providing comfort to Rikki--yes, in the form of sex, but hey, it's what Danny is good at ;) --and the fact that what's going on with Lindsay isn't affecting him nearly as much as it's affecting her.

Yeah, not the best way to paint a female character, but at the same time, she wasn't out for revenge or trying to get Mac to give it up in exchange for the lab's reaccreditation, so I thought that was actually handled fairly well.

Except that her first impulse was to drop it in Danny's lap. Given that she jeopardized the lab during an evaluation, I think he should have been harder on her.

12. Faylinn

I like to think that Reed's attitude in this one is significant for the upcoming episode(s?) he's going to be in--like a mini little character arc for him, and thereby Mac, to go through...

That's what I'm hoping, anyway. :)

She flirted a bit, but it didn't interfere with why she was there or what the team was doing. And I really liked that she and Mac only discussed what happened and her feelings for him after she was done with the inspection (plus, Mac brought it up first, mentioning that she flirts). So while she did have the thing for him, it was nice to see it handled professionally. :)

Personally, if someone said "Fay, you f*cked up", my first response would be to freak out inside and think/say "Oh my God, I'm so sorry, oh God..." etc. I'd be thinking how stupid I was and probably panicking a bit. Finding someone else to get me out of the jam I'm in would probably come in a distant...sixth, somewhere beyond crying and hiding in a closet. :p

13. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Man, the thing about only being able to watch episodes days after everyone else is that so many reviews will have already said what I want by the time I get around to saying anything. :eek: :lol:

- Flack is snarky-awesome and his gorgeous self, as usual. :D Now I get the 'Abercombie twins' thing. :lol: Seriously, how the hell did the girl NOT see the shark and corpse from a mile away?! And Flack eating that chocolate after interrogating the perp = priceless. I wish the scene had shown Flack actually taking the chocolate off the tray because I was confused for a moment how he went from just standing there with Stella to walking away already eating a piece of chocolate.

- HAWKES. Oh my God, TPTB finally remembers the black dude of the show! So nice to see much Hawkes in this episode, even if it was him arms deep in the guts of a tiger shark. :lol: Watching him in the autopsy room reminded me of his season one days when he was still just an ME.

- Quinn: Okay, she surprised me. I was expecting her to be the typical dislikable inspector come to pass judgement on the labs but, she played her role well. She has this mature beauty about her too, similar to Stella. I'm glad TPTB didn't cast another supermodel or something. :rolleyes: Introducing her as somebody who has a crush on Mac was ... hmm, I didn't really care for it. It didn't make me think less of her though. To me, their conversation in Mac's office showed they're both simply human. I'm very glad the spoilers for Mac changed a lot in the final episode! Hurrah to the writers for showing Mac can make mistakes but still show he loved his wife and acknowledged his mistake.

- What the hell is with Reed suddenly becoming such a whiny brat?! That wasn't the Reed I remember from past episodes.

- Okay, now on to whatever's going on between Danny and Lindsay:

I have a very different interpretation of the Jaws scene. Taking into account Lindsay's monologue in 4x16, Danny and Lindsay talking and trying to act like normal isn't as odd as it seems. (I don't blame anyone for thinking that though. When I first saw the scene, I also went, "WTF?" because I expected Danny to bring up wanting to talk with her about things, in continuity with last week's episode.) In her monologue, Lindsay said that she's fallen in love with Danny and wants to get over it.

Fallen
    , not being. Major difference there. If they've been in a relationship all this time and it's exclusive and they both know it, she would have said being in love, not fallen. Fallen also implies it's something recent. And her saying to Danny's face that she wants to get over it? It means she knows it's one-sided and that Danny doesn't feel the same, and now Danny finally knows what she's feeling and what she intends to do about it.

So the Jaws scene in this episode? Definitely looked to me like both of them are trying their best to just be friends, which is a pleasantly surprising route for the writers to take. I had expected Lindsay to do the ignore-Danny thing from last week. I doubt Danny's actually spoken to Lindsay about their situation though. If Lindsay knew about Rikki, I think she would be a lot more upset. And this isn't me saying they're definitely in a relationship, this is me saying Danny may not see any reason to tell Lindsay about Rikki since Lindsay herself already told him she wants to get over her feelings for him.

The way Danny hardly reacted after Lindsay walked away from her evidence and just sat there and sighed and only stood up and looked in her direction after she was gone implied this isn't the first time Lindsay's reacted towards him like that. Him not even bothering to look at her as she walked away, much less get up to go after her? He was seriously giving off, "Geez, why do I get myself into these situations? I thought she'd be over it by now," vibes. That's why I think him saying they should rent Jaws was him testing the waters, to see whether she really is getting over her feelings for him or not. I guess he's not pleased she hasn't. :lol: It is also possible Danny's waiting to tell Lindsay about Rikki when he's sure Lindsay can handle the news. So if the spoilers are true ... we may be seeing that very soon.

- And then there's the scene with Mac and Lindsay. Okay, I get why people thought she was a little annoying in there. :lol: Even Mac was giving her a, "Oh great, is she going to do one of her demonstrations again?" look. Her reaction to Mac calling her out on abandoning her evidence made me go WTF big time. Her, "What?" made her look ... stupid. No offense, but it really did. It was like she didn't even remember how irresponsible she was until Mac reminded her and then, instead of apologizing, she immediately lobs the blame/responsibility onto Danny by saying that Danny would have cleaned up after her. That was very unprofessional. It also implied to me that she assumes Danny will clean up whatever mess she leaves behind as if it's his obligation to do it. Again, very unprofessional and presumptuous of Lindsay about Danny.

But! I am glad she actually *gasp* acknowledged it was a lame excuse after saying it. Maybe there's hope for you, after all, Lindsay. Heh, I don't think she ever knew Danny at all, or vice versa. I agree with the CSI Files review that it was gratifying to finally see Lindsay being called out on a wrongdoing, even though she still got off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Lindsay saying it was very stupid of her to get involved with someone she works with = the last nail in the coffin for any D/L. Should TPTB hook them up any time soon, both Danny and Lindsay will look really moronic, especially Lindsay. After she's said what she did to Mac? I'll have zero respect for her character if she jumps into the sack with Danny again, or anyone else on the team working with her.

- P.S. Am I the only one who wants those chocolate clothes? :lol:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  14. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

I have finally watched it. I didn't read any of the reviews and comments you guys posted so sorry if I am being repetitive.

I will start with the D/L stuff just so we can get it over with. The scene in the lab was nice at the beginning, although it surprised me that Lindsay was even talking to Danny. The dialog about the accent wasn't funny for me, I think Carmine (or maybe Danny) was trying too hard and the whole thing left me with a straight face. Lindsay walking away wasn't surprising at all (maybe because I knew it would happen long before the episode aired), but it was Lindsay-like.

I found Quinn a bit irritating, she was acting like she knew everything, she looked down on everybody. Reed was nice, was a bit irritating too, but he had to be because all the journalists who are trying to get the latest scoop are, I liked him.

Was it just me or we got more than 2 minutes of Hawkes this episode? Kudos for that! Also a big kudos for that little milligram of continuity that showed Stella in trouble after the fire at her apartment.

Flack rules! And Flack's tie was less ugly this week so kudos to wardrobe!

I'll be back with more comments later, after a second view.

:D

A- from me

15. ejacksonian

ejacksonian Hit and Run

I like to point out several things. There were not ONE, but TWO, red herrings. The first one was with the chocolate. Great but obvious red herring. The second was with the sudden last client-I was almost sure that he was the serial killer. Turns out, he wasn't but managed to inadvertently save the real estate aget's life, while getting himself killed. I did NOT see that coming.