The International Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gaelen, Apr 15, 2008.

?

Where In The World Are You?

1. North America

26.1%
  2. South America

0.9%
  3. Europe

58.3%
  4. Asia

8.7%
  5. Australasia

2.6%
  6. Africa

1.7%
  7. Antarctica

1.7%
  1. lunalupi

lunalupi Victim

1 and two bits!

English because it's the one I grew up with!
    And a bit of French and German from when I did them at school...

Must brush up on my French in the next year though :)

2. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

I speak English, Malay, a little Mandarin, a little tiny bit of French, and a bit of German.

Five! *holds up six fingers* :D

3. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

English, I could get by in France, nonsense (thank you dear sister :rolleyes: ), and having moved back to home territory a few years back, I've become used to the local dialect again which sounded totally alien after so many years away :D

4. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I only speak one language and that is English. I joking say that I have enough trouble speaking it which is why I didn't do well in French at school. It was the only subject I failed in high school. I'm usually totally lost when my hubby and I go to Quebec. He was taught French in kindergarten and can still communicate a bit in it. Fortunately when we do go to Quebec we usually only hit the tourist spots so I don't always have to rely on him.

And oh yes Yoshi all the different dialects England has. I think every one of them should have their own translation dictionary :)

5. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

I still get asked where I'm from and people are always surprised when I say I'm local. When I moved back here my sister gave me a copy of an old book called 'Arfur Tow Crate' which is all about the dialect from our area, saying I sounded too 'southern' these days.
    Cheeky mare! :D

6. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

^^OOh, I can speak a gazillion English dialects! :D *is proud* I dunno why, I guess when you move around so much you pick up things along the way. ::shrugs::

I personally hate learning a new language. I'm just no good at them - at all. I hate studying languages, and I hate practicing too - unless I'm forced to, ie, in a native country. Then I don't mind learning.

My poor brain just doesn't like languages :lol:

7. Hannah

Hannah Rookie

Wnglish is my Main language, coz I grew up with it. My dad toaught me about a scentence of Chinese... Katanese I think? And I'm learning Japanese at school! :D So really it's like 1 and 2 bits Haha

8. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

Slovak (my mother tongue), English, German (not good with the grammar, though), Spanish (still learning but I understand quite good), and Czech. so that makes five

I also learned French, Polish adn Russian but I cant speak it to save my life. but I still know some Azbuka

when I speak english people always wonder where I learned it and where I am from. I tend to pick on accents around me thats why my Spanish is such a mix. I started with proper Spanish pronunciationand then went to listening to Argentinian, Venezuelan and Mexican accents and now I tend to use some of their words and accents

yesterday we had a kind of a lecture about Peru in my Spanish class and Im so adding it on my list of places I would want to visit. I think I would like to travel through whole South America

9. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

So I got to wondering what other countries people have been to?

I've traveled all though Canada and the US, including Alaska and Hawaii :) I've also been to England, Scotland, Wales, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Switerland, Russia, The Old Czechoslovakia, Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. Czechoslovakia and Korea where just stop overs for plane changes but I always include them in places I've been to :) Russia was done with my high school back in the late 70's when it was still a communist country.

10. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

^I want to go and ride an alpaca :D Or a Llama :lol:

I dunno, that's what South America tends to remind me off -- that and the Rio festivals. I'm such a dork I know :cool:

I would so LOVE to go to one of the Rio festivals one day and dance in the parade (no matter how whacky the costumes may be!) :D

11. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

What languages do I speak? Unfortunately not a lot. Other than English, I did learn some French, German and Spanish at school, and I could probably find food and shelter in any country speaking one of those languages, but little else. :lol: I can understand a lot more in those languages than I speak though, so I'd struggle to have a conversation with you but I'd be able to vaguely work out what you were talking about (as long as it wasn't completely obscure of course). I continue to be in awe of all of those people on this board whose first language isn't English. You are amazing and I can't imagine how difficult it must sometimes be. :eek: :)

That's quite a list Jacquie. :) I've been to a few countries, including:

England (obviously because that's where I live), Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Slovenia, Malta, Greece, Morocco, Kenya, Tunisia, the Maldives, the Bahamas, and probably about 8 states in the US.

12. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I only speak one language which is english.
    However my friend is dutch and he laughs at my accent as he classes it as commoner (or a Croydoner... which is an area near me), I'm from the south east never thought of myself to have an accent but apparently i do i'm from a supposedly posh county but that hasn't rubbed off.

I learnt french and german at school and took german to gcse so i know bits and bobs, I can't remember stuff but its something that would come back if i was out there i would understand words.

I havent been to many places.
    England (obv), Isle of White...France (loads of times), Spain, Corfu, Zante, Sweden, Germany, Belgium, Andorra, Lanzarote.

I'm going to Spain again this year for a week with my uni friends... and hopefully might be going to Prague with a friend for some fun... I finish university for good in june so i want some fun before i go.

I would love to go to Rio... for some reason its always looked so amazing. Want to go back to Paris aswell i love it there.

13. MarineGirl#1

MarineGirl#1 CSI Level Three

Ow lol, languages :lol: So I speak English, German and Dutch. I speak two Dutch Dialects languages and I'm good at imitating the Belgiums. But I don't think that counts :devil: I know a little Italian and French, not worth mentioning it. Ow, I just did, didn't I :guffaw:I hope I can pick up some new stuff in Mexico this year. :cool:

14. Marns

Marns CSI Level Two

I speak Dutch and English. Also, a little German. I've had French classes, but I'm sooo not good at that. I've been to the US, Belgium, Germany, France and Greece. Oh, and Switzerland. And Austria. I think that's it. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  15. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

I was born in Bonn, Germany. While we were posted there, I was able to visit Belgium, Czechslovakia, Switzerland, Denmark, Poland, France, and other European countries I don't even remember.

Malaysia of course (strangely enough, I've never been to Singapore), Thailand, and New Zealand.

Namibia, Zambia, South Africa, Zimbabwe.

^ Yup, I think that about covers it. :)