Ooops, What a mistake!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by nattybatty55, Feb 23, 2008.

1. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Anna is 35?? really...i thought she was in her late 20s.

What the biggest thing i can't stand on all the CSI's is...centrifuges! They always put ONE sample in, which is a huge safety no-no. It could blow up...you always have to balance them. Also, they wouldn't only use one colour...i know, each CSI has their own centrifuge colour (ny = white, miami = orange, vegas = blue), but still. It makes it much harder to keep the enzymes and ligases separate that way. Also, the tubes should be labelled.

Also, i can't remember off hand what eppy this was in...but there was one time Stella and Hawkes were working with a protein, but they used a horizontal agarose gel. That is wrong, that is what you would use for DNA, not proteins, they should have done a SDS-Page vertical gel. Gah!! At least they actual showed gel electrophorsis, that is the only time its ever been shown on the entire CSI franchise. And that is how DNA fingerprints are made :rolleyes:

2. messygirl73

messygirl73 Witness

On RND, if you noticed the crispy critter "dead girl" has the whites teeth to be that badly burned. Now, I just had to ask my fire marshall because on the 2 vics we have had in house fires, at no time were their teeth that white.

As he said, they will become covered with the black carbon particals even if the vic was dead before the fire. He watched the same episode and he knew what I was talking about. He noticed lots more mistake then I did. Of course he is the Fire Marshall and on the Arson Task Force.

3. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

Going back to Can You Hear Me Now? - Danny and the Statue of Liberty.

Given the dimensions of the real statue, Carmine Giovinazzo's height at 5ft 9in and therefore most likely average inseam measurement; it is highly improbable that he'd have been able to hang as low over the nose and put his feet on the cheeks of the statue like he does in the episode, let alone there be space between his legs and the statue.

Also...through the whole scene he appears 'sat' astride Lady Liberty's nose, until they look up from underneath him where he appears to have both legs on one side of it. When they switch back, his left leg is once again on the other side of the nose. Bad CGI anyone?

[​IMG]

No, this really isn't an excuse to post a picture of Carmine's arse. Honest. :D

Edit: Also, from the POV of someone who spent much of their youth climbing, personally I wouldn't want to be dangling that high in the air from a line wearing latex barrier gloves. While I'm aware of the requirement for protection from infection with blood, sense would have dictated a rappel glove on one of his hands at least, in case he slipped down the line.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  4. weeza82

weeza82 Victim

Perfect Anomaly, I had forgotten Stella's stepmother :guffaw:Whoo, that was a good'un. And Anna Belknap TOTALLY looks her 35 years.

XFCanadian, I know what you mean. I work in a lab and their techniques are shocking. The centrifuge has always bugged me beyond reason :brickwall: Don't they have technical advisors? We should put ourselves forward for that!!!

Another mistake.....COTP - Mac comes down off the ladder and tells Flack there is a bomb and to evacuate the building. Flack reaches up with his LEFT hand to hit the alram, but it shows a close up of the alarm being hit by a RIGHT hand. Always bugged me.

5. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

If we are talking lab techniques and all things related, the chemical structures they show are nearly always wrong. They always try to deduce structures from MS alone which is impossible, you need an NMR aswell.

And how come they put everything in the GC-MS, only highly volatile subtances fly in a GC, you are much more likely to use a LC-MS.

Their science is shocking at times which does annoy me but then I am a scientist and thus over analytical.:lol:

6. weeza82

weeza82 Victim

I totally agree Poppet, LC-MS would be the preferred technique. I always end up shouting at the screen about their micro-pipetting techniques. Look at the huge air bubble!!!!

7. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

It would be interesting to know what background the technical advisors have, as I am sure they have little to no chemistry knowledge, definately no organic chemistry.

8. CSIFan119

CSIFan119 Hit and Run

There is one in BAD BEAT where Hawkes is examining the ground where the news lady was killed...Hawkes has gloves on then he doesn't.

Also at the end of Manhattan Manhunt when Mac says you killed 12 people in 2 states...the total was more than 12 i think that is was about 16 people.

9. privatename

privatename Rookie

That bugged me about Stella's foster mother as well. And Anna definitely looks at least 35. They really play with the ages on this show. They also did this with Mac's character. He and Drew Bedford weren't supposed to be that far apart in age if I remember correctly. Yeah, right :rolleyes:

10. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

In Admissions, Hawkes and Danny were in the classroom discussing hydrofluoric acid and the need to have it in the class. Hawkes walks over to the board and writes out a formula. The camera takes a side view of him writing and you notice that his writing is small and goes in an upward angle. When they change the location of the carmera and show what he wrote, it's larger, clearer and level.

I think they may have tweaked Danny's writing also.

11. AbbyD

AbbyD Dead on Arrival

I think there was one in Taxi. In the opening sequence, the cab dumped the body, then speed away with Flack chasing it. It jumped the curb on the left side of the street (drivers side).

Later, when it was found, Flack looked under the right front of the cab (passenger side) and the oil pan appeared to have been struck on the right side.

12. Dannyfan2707

Dannyfan2707 Dead on Arrival

This is such a great thread!!!!
    Not so much a CSI error, but in Personal Foul, when Dougan Scott collapses the ambulance guys use the defib without even removing Scott's shirt, let alone checking for pacemakers, piercings, excess hair etc....!!! :lol:

13. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

^^^^ I thought that aswell :lol:

14. flackfan_82

flackfan_82 Witness

uh, or if he was BREATHING :wtf:... it's very simple...ABC's... A= airway, B= breathing, C= circulation. No A or B = no C...Gah! Stuff like that just irks me...:rolleyes:

and by the way...who was the paramedic talking to, anyways? he was all alone!!!! :wtf:...reminds me of a nurse I used to work with who provided a constant commentary on her daily activities at work... "I'm going to turn the IV down; I'm going to call the doctor; I'm just going to get him something for pain; etc..."...:lol:

15. Myownfan

Myownfan Civilian

Day to Night in 60 seconds....

I am so happy that other people have seen, and been aggrivated about the editing mistakes. I thought I was being too picky, or OCD.

One that I really hated, was in Child's Play when Flack, Stella, and Lindsay go into the fireworks warehouse it is in the middle of a sunny afternoon, and then magically after being in the warehouse for, I don't know, like 2 minutes they go back outside and it is night time, totally dark!

I know the exploding fireworks look cooler at night, but really, who edits this show?