BASEBALL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Charisma, Jul 24, 2005.

?

Which TV network will you spend the most time watching this fall?

1. The CW

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NBC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ABC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CBS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Cable network, don't watch traditional tv, ect.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

^
    ^
    The Jays haven't sweep a series in TX in 23 years, so I think this past weekend was a really good sign. I have good feelings about this season, they've been playing really well so far. I went to a home game last Saturday and the atmosphere is really positive and they're really working as a team. So, hopefully they've continue with the wins *knock on wood*

2. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Yeah, the jays are supposed to be facing Baltimore tonight. Both teams are currently tied for top spot in their division with a 7-5 record thus far. Lets hope they take their surprise luck in Texas, with them into Baltimore.

And what about John McDonald? I've been meaning to mention his name earlier on, but I honestly believe he is one of the many underrated players out there. Sure he's not smacking the ball over the fence every other at bat, but he definitely brings his game when he's penned to play. He defensive skills in the field, blows my mind every time he plays. (thinks of the amazing play he made to snag the ball then blindly throwing over to first base, just in time to get the runner...robbing him of a base hit)

As for Cleveland, I do hope they get their bats and pitching in order, and no better time then against Boston this evening.

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Well at least Cleveland won yesterday :D

So Cleveland vs Jays

May 9-12 @ Cleveland
    Aug 8-10 @ Rogers Centre

Crap I cheer for the Jays when they don't play against us, so then what the heck do I do for seven games, sorry folks but I have to go with the tribe, but promise to stay with the Jay anyother time. :D

4. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

That's ok Destiny us Jays fans will just cheer louder when the Tribe are playing against us to make up for missing you :) Likewise I do cheer for Cleveland when they aren't playing Toronto :)

5. Destiny

Thanks, I am depressed, we lost tonight 6-4, we were leading and then they brought in that thing we call a closer and he just gave up a homer to Manny. This is the same dip that gave up a grandslam to Torii Hunter what last week, but yet goes into a non save situation and pitches nicely (two days ago). We were leading 4-2, then someone hit a homer, then it was 4-3, then JoBo (as we call him) blew the save and tied 4-4 and then gave Manny a two run homer.

Hmm seems Tigers won over the twins 11-9 we get them (right after this two game series with boston), for two games.

I do want to add one last thing, while I really don't care for the Yankee's, I really want to send good thoughts and prayers to the father of player Joba Chamberlin. Elder Chamberlain in critical condition after collapsing, I might not care for the team, but when it comes to illness its time to step back.

6. Jacquie

I hope thinks go well for Chamberlain and his family. Most of the Yankees I don't for only because of the team they play for but when it comes to the families of the players I always wish them well :)

Destiny I loved the nickname of the Indians closer. JoBo :guffaw:What's the guys real name?

And the Jays lost 4-3 to Baltimore last night. I hope this year is not going to be sweep one series, lose one series, sweep one series, lose one series. They aren't going to go anywhere if they do this. Dustin McGowan started the game and lost it. 10 hits, 3 runs in 6 innings. He's 0-3 in seven appearances against the O's. At some point he will get the monkey off his back and start to beat the O's.

7. Destiny

:lol: yeah alot of people had a hard time saying his last name at first so they shortened it to JoBo his real name is Joe Borowski (pronounced: bore-ow-ski) he was the saves leader last year with 45 saves. I read today that he said it felt like he was stuck in one gear and had nothing, like he was throwing through water. I guess the team ptb are giving him an MRI to make sure there is nothing wrong with his arm. He normally pitches 86-88 mph. but last night he maxed out at 81-83 mph. Want to go one further on nics when he blows a save his nic then goes from JoBo to JoBlow. :lol:

I just hope that he is fine and that its a Slump that he can pop right out of, but I have to admit this guy can give you a stress test on his good days lol. There was a saying that before you brought him in you better have a 10-1 lead lol. Because he would usually give up a HR to someone, before he settles in and gets the save. Here are his Stats at the bottom you can see last year vs this year ERA 5.07, at this point its 18.00 [​IMG] on five games.

The upside the bats are starting to wake up, and I give this team credit, fans and media were calling this the "Revenge" series, (okay I wasn't), but the team on the other hand said this "To tell you the truth, I hadn't even thought about the Red Sox," left fielder David Dellucci said. "Really, in the end, it's just another series. Say, if they sweep us or we sweep them, it means nothing." - Asked if the series took on any extra significance, left fielder Jason Michaels seemed puzzled. - "No," he said. "We just need to win some games. The guys haven't talked about [Boston]." Later in a live interview Casey Blake, Victor Martinez, and Travis Hafner agreed with the statement including that they are a good team [red sox] and that to them its a brand new year, and all games are brand new, not revenge, because what happened in 07, is over and done with. [​IMG] to them.

ETA: Well Borowski is on the 15 day DL, the new closer was announced it will be Raffy Right aka Raffy Bentancourt who is our set up man.

Also we lost to Boston 5-3 (of a two game series), all thanks to Jorge Julio who is a new guy on the team and personally this guy has screwed up everytime you turn around. Honestly the guys are starting to come around the downside is not fast enough, while slow and steady is good right now they are 5 wins, 8 losses, and are 3 games back with PCT of .385

The upside is when they pop out of the slump and catch on fire its like watching a forrest fire getting out of control. Lets hope they catch soon cause tomorrow (4-16) and Thursday (4-17) they play a two game series against the tigers. Personally I think that all the freaking changes to the bullpen has messed with them (the two new guys), and then Nixon left who was like the team captain or sorts.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  8. Destiny

Okay slump is not a good descript big gapping hole... 13-2 loss to the tigers

:scream: :scream: :scream: <-- that and a few other things.

9. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

I probably shouldn't highlight my allegiance to the Yankees in such a public forum - yeah yeah, "Yankees suck!" But I think it's great when the rivalry falls away for more important things. And anyway, I have no problems supporting other teams when they are kicking Bo-Sux ass. :p

10. Destiny

Welcome, we all have our favs and some we just like to watch get kicked, I am sad to say we couldn't on the first two but we play the bosox in their park only one more time Sept. 22 - 25. The Yankee's we play April 25-28 at the prog & May 6-8 in their park.

But when it comes to the families of any team players thats a different story they are only apart of the team due to the person they care about is the one playing, therefore I consider them innocent of any dislike lol.

Ugg game two with the tigers tonight (last until July, Aug & Sept) its like we play the Jays 7 games, Yankees 7 games, Boston 6 games, But Tigers 18 games. This is not going to be pretty. :scream:

ETA They played the game tonight and may I just say WOOHOO its a split series. Tonight Indians 11, Tigers 1
    The bats came alive and Carmona pitched perfectly. I am a happy indian and fan (lol I am part indian).. Chief Wahoo Thank you. :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  11. Destiny

Hoping the mods don't mind this one double post, but I wanted to add something Besides that I edited last night my post that we won YAY...

Okay I am all for a good game and I am all for extra innings, but I don't think I could handle this, my nerves are done in by the time JoBo (our resident closer who is now on the DL) manages to get through one inning.

Rockies vs Padres took 22 innings, 15 pitchers, 658 pitches Combined, lasting only a mere 6 hours, 16 minutes. for a 2-1 victory for the Rockies. :eek: This is the longest Major League game since the Twins beat the Indians, 5-4, in 22 innings on Aug. 31, 1993. The Rockies' previous record was 18 innings on Aug. 15, 2006, a 2-1 loss to the Diamondbacks at Coors Field.

So could we handle this? When I say we I mean both as fans and the current [insert your teams name] players?

12. Jacquie

^ Now that is what I call playing baseball. I'm tired just thinking about how tired the players are.

Well the Blue Jays lost the two game series to the Rangers. A 14 inning marathon on Wednesday that used the entire bullpen up and 1 starter other than the guy that started the game. They also lost last night with The Doc, Roy Halliday, on the mound :scream: Hopefully the Jays will rebound this weekend with the Tigers are in town. Mind you the Jays have lost the last 5 home games :scream:

13. Destiny

I know what you mean. Man that hurts and trust me I feel your pain and we play Texas 10 games, this should be fun.

Course thing is your 8W-8L .500 and 1.5 games back, now it could be worse you could be the tribe who is 6W-10L .375 and 3.5 games back, BUT We could both be really bad off cause the tigers are in the basement with
    5W-11L .313 & 4.5 back. (whom you all are playing tonight).

Tonight we play the Twins who are 7W-9L .438 & 2.5 back, it will be Cliff Lee against Francisco Liriano.

So know what I say, lets kick some but gentlemen. :D

ETA: Crap Jay's lost, well thats okay one game isn't so bad they 8-4 feels kind of like saying yeah right but its not they hit us that first night 13-2, we just came back and got em 11-1.

The Tribes Cliff Lee pitched 8 innings with one walk, 2 hits on 109 pitches got relieved in the 9th and they won the game 4-0.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  14. Jacquie

The weekly baseball update :) It should really be called the Toronto Blue Jays and Cleveland Indian update :guffaw:but here goes

Toronto has benched DH Frank Thomas until further notice. Thomas is in a bit of a slump and is not to happy with the benching. He feels it is part of a cost cutting factor for the Jays because they don't want to pay him if he get a certain number of at bats

Frank Thomas being benched

On a good note though the Jays actually beat the Tigers yesterday 3-2. This ended a six game home losing streak.

The Indians on the other hand lost yesterday 3-0 to the Minnesota Twins. Now I'm sorry about this Destiny but I have to say go Twins. Justin Morneau, a Canadian, hit a two run homer to help the Twins win.

On a sad note former major leaguer John Marzano has died at the age of 45. He died yesterday after falling down a flight of stairs at his home. My thoughts go out to his family at this sad time :(

So that's it for the moment :)

eta Blues Jays have released DH Frank Thomas

Blue Jays release Frank Thomas

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  15. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Ok, I can understand the reasoning for benching Thomas....for his slow start etc., but in the news article on the jays site he claims there is more going on, that he wasn't happy. Have I missed out on something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.