Math thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, Mar 19, 2008.

1. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I sort of like Math! I am in university already but I still can't help it...

So let's make a thread about it. You can come here and drop your math questions or just to discuss things like:

0.3333.... = 1/3
    0.6666.... = 2/3

0.3333.... + 0.6666... = 0.999....
    1/3 + 2/3 = 1

So can we say that

0.9999... = 1

or can't we?

2. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

That is completely correct. One of the first things we learned is that 1 doesn't really exist and is always equal to 0.9999...

We learned it this way:

c = 0.99999...
    10c = 9.99999...
    10c - c = 9.99999... - 0.99999...
    9c = 9
    c = 9/9
    c = 1

I love math :D

3. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

When I learn Math in the university the first thing that make me go crazy was that:

two parallel lines meet/coss at infinity

wow.. thanks God tha I have big imagination and the Math is my strong side... :lol:

4. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

yeah that solution is the answer... I wanted to past that later on :p

but 0.9999... will never reach 1 indefenitly so I hate it... my mnds keep going over it.. I know it is equal to but 0,99 wil indefenitly never reach 1 :p so funny!

5. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

Im going to study math at uni in september and can't wait. My friends think i'm crazy i mean what's not to love!

6. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

I hate almost all maths because I don't understand it, at all. I do like shapes and geometry and stuff though. Statistics make me cry haha I have to do them as part of my calculations for other subjects and I can't do it.

7. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

For me stats is like the best part of it! For some reason i just get it, not in the exams though. I'm rubbish at exams but stillenjoy the subject. For me geometry and differentiation are ok

8. that_girl1

that_girl1 Coroner

I have the same problem as you do grssom89. I understand the subject when the teacher is explaining it but when it comes to the tests I draw up a blank. I take algebra 2 and I don't hate it but I don't love it either.

9. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Algebra 2 oh you have my sympathy, I passed algebra 1 & 2 last year and I'm so glad it's over with.

10. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

I enjoy doing calculations for some reason. I find it soothing... :rolleyes:

But I despise statistics. I just despise it....I can do it, fine, but it just doesn't sit well with me. :eek:

11. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

Oh I remember the joys of math :rolleyes: I hated almost every form of math from school, but my favorite was Algebra, don't even know why, I just liked working on equations, but I always froze up on test days and it took me forever to get through the tests, but in the end I'd always end up worrying that I had failed the test, but I'd end up getting a low B - C, better than failing I guess :eek:

12. Little_Peaches

Little_Peaches Police Officer

Yay maths!

How about this one that took my head forever to get around = the square root of -1 is.... i. Come on, imaginary numbers? That's just plain wrong.
    So glad my pretty Honours is coming to an end, Uni maths is so intense but really impressive when you start talking about partial differentiation & integration. Easy when you know how but so sounds so scary. :lol:

13. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

I love math. Math is my favorite subject, right now I am in Algebra 2. Next year I will be in Pre Calculus Honors. After that, I will be in AP Calculus

14. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

I'm having a tough time choosing what math to do next year. I'm hoping to take Honors, but I'm not sure if I have the grades for it. I have the will and the desire to take it however. On the other hand, I can choose Principles and not have to worry about the grades.

*whew*

Anyways, I have a question: How do you find the greatest common factor for monomials such as:

4mn - 6mn(squared) :confused: :wtf:

Thanks!

15. chocolate_bunnys

chocolate_bunnys Police Officer

Math! Sadly this is my favorite/best subject. Currently taking Geometry (but I have already taken Algebra II) Have to say I prefer Algebra, I cant stand all the conjectures in geometry :brickwall: . I just end up remembering them for the 1 hour i take the test in and then forgetting them. Well next year I take Pre Calculus, that should be better.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008