Being A Southpaw (a.k.a. Left-handed)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by mandy9578, Aug 30, 2007.

1. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Hehe, I just thought I'd bump up the thread since we've finally moved. :lol:

Anyway, I read somewhere, (I think it was a reading comprehension textbook I use for teaching English), that when putting on shoes, a lefty first puts on the right shoe while the opposite is true for a right-handed person. So I was wondering if this was really true. I haven't really noticed if it was true about me but then I saw myself one morning putting on the right shoe first. So I guess it's true about me. But I wonder if anyone else here notices which shoe he/she puts on first.

2. hyburn8

hyburn8 Hit and Run

I don't know how I missed this thread before.:eek:

I am a lefty (who puts on the left shoe first, BTW.):lol: My mom is a righty, dad is a "reformed lefty" a.k.a. forced righty, my older sister is a righty and my younger sister is a lefty but can use her right hand as well.

I was reading some of the way old posts and I have to agree with those who said that the ink pinkie is one of the worst things about being a southpaw.

It is great to be in such good lefty company. :)

3. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Glad you've finally found this thread! ;) Welcome, welcome! Isn't it great to be left-handed? Well, most of the time anyway! :guffaw:

Definitely, one of the drawbacks to being a lefty is the ink smudges we get from writing, dragging our left hand over the page we've written on. :lol: It really does suck at times. :lol:

4. future_cop

future_cop Lab Technician

I am a lefty and I love it.I agree ink on the pinkie isn't fun or when I sit next to right handed people when they write and bump elbows with me.
    When I was in elementary school. My Teachers had to keep moving me so we wouldn't complain about bumping elbows:guffaw:

I have no problem using my right hand for other things like using a knife and scissors.I even use my right foot to play soccer.I have to confess baseball wasn't easy until the coach showed me how to catch with my right hand.My mom is a lefty and my brother,sister,dad,grandparents,cousins,aunts and uncles are all righties.

Be different just...rocks:thumbsup:

5. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Thats weird I always put my right shoe on first dispite being a lefty

I'm a "Reformed lefty" too my parents forced me to do a number of things with my right so I tend to use my right hand alot but I still right with my left hand

The ink pinkie is definiately the worst thing about being a lefty...but at the same time I love being a lefty...cause it different and a little weird...:lol:

6. hyburn8

hyburn8 Hit and Run

^^ I guess I'm REALLY weird because I am a true lefty. I do everything with my left hand. I write, eat, cut with scissors, bowl, bat, dribble a basketball, and am left-eye dominant. :eek:

Speaking of cutting with scissors, try cutting with right-handed scissors using your left hand. Impossible!! And left-handed scissors don't cut worth a :censored:!

7. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Don't you know it brings bad luck :eek::eek:
    Seriously, my grandma got all mad when I once put the left shoe on first, she was complaining and telling how the right shoe has to be put on first.
    And that's final :p

8. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

^^My Parents say the same thing...and always tell me to put my right shoe on first....and they give me a lecture if I don't

Scissors are a pain...I mean the left handed ones don't even cut and then obvoiusly using the right hand ones isn't gonna help either...:rolleyes:

9. future_cop

future_cop Lab Technician

You know what I've been watching myself lately and I nearly fell over laughing when I realized I to put my left shoe on first.
    In my family they say that if your left handed you are born by the devil.Hearing that makes me laugh so hard my mom swears I have problems.

and to agree with Shazza_018
    I hate left handed scissors also when I try and write on paper while it's still in a three ring binder is so annoying.:rolleyes:

10. hyburn8

hyburn8 Hit and Run

This explains a lot!!:guffaw::guffaw:

On that same note of not being right, I was going to mention yesterday that my ex-husband was a true lefty as well so it would have been interesting to see if our kids were left or right handed. However, we never had any kids in our 10 years of "wedded bliss" :rolleyes: The world will never know, I guess.

11. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

As I've mentioned previously, I've never noticed what shoe I put on first but then I just saw myself one morning putting on the right one first. :p

As for me, I'm not a true lefty as some tasks I do with my right hand. Haha, call it me adapting to things right-handed in this very right-hand world of ours. Gah.

12. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I just thought I'd give this thread CPR. :lol:

Anyway, talking southpaw...I couldn't find the vegetable peeler I prefer to use (one that a lefty or a righty could use) and was stuck with using an ordinary one. I really wanted to eat some carrot sticks, so I was peeling the carrots with my right hand. Grrr...I almost injured myself. I was so awkward using my right hand, it totally looked funny to me. :lol: Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. :lol:

13. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I just thought I'd bump this thread up for those lefty newcomers. It's been five months since the last post in here.

Anyway, for anyone interested, here's the Edinburgh Handedness Inventory again...

It’s a test to determine which hand a person prefers when doing particular tasks.

The instruction is you have to indicate your preference in the use of the hands for the following activities (Whether Left, Right or Either):

1. Writing
    2. Drawing
    3. Throwing
    4. Scissors
    5. Toothbrush
    6. Knife (without fork)
    7. Spoon
    8. Broom (upper hand)
    9. Striking match (match)
    10. Opening box/lid

So whichever has more checks, means you favor that hand.

14. Della

Della Police Officer

I too am a "reformed lefty" - Mother forced me to write right handed, and instructed my teachers at school to make sure that I came up to speed on it. Took me a while to write right handed and I spent a lot of my formative years taking up two lines for my writing. Believe it or not though, Caligraphy classes in senior school helped enormously with my writing right-handed. I can still write left-handed but I don't naturally write left-handed anymore.

I can throw things left handed as well as I can with my right hand (poor Hubby LOL!) and I naturally deal cards left-handed. Apparently I also put on my shoes left-handed, though until reading this thread, I wasn't aware it was the left-handed way to do things.

:)

Of the above list:

1. Writing - right handed, though can write left-handed when forced to ( broken hand etc)
    2. Drawing - right handed
    3. Throwing - both
    4. Scissors - both
    5. Toothbrush - both
    6. Knife (without fork) - naturally pick up left hand first but switch to cut right handed
    7. Spoon - left handed, but can do both
    8. Broom (upper hand) - left handed, but can do both
    9. Striking match (match) - left handed, but can do both
    10. Opening box/lid - left handed

Hmm, so in some things I'd say I was ambi-dextrous :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  15. EmilyRocks

EmilyRocks Police Officer

I'm a lefty and so is my uncle.
    I did gymnastics skills starting with my left foot and hand (like stepping into a skill or starting my run on vault)
    There were some girls that were left handed, but right handed gymnasts or right handed but left handed gymnasts. It was really weird.