New currency or coins

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dynamo1, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

New Color $5 Bills Come Out Today
    Mar 13, 7:45 AM (ET)
    By JEANNINE AVERSA

WASHINGTON (AP) - Abraham Lincoln is getting a little color in his cheeks. New $5 bills bearing the gaunt visage of the nation's 16th president - but with some touches of color added - are making their way to banks and cash registers near you.

The bill goes into circulation Thursday. That's when the Federal Reserve, the supplier of the nation's cash, starts shipping the bills to banks, which send them to businesses and eventually into the hands of people in this country and beyond.

Full story and picture at:
    http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20080313/D8VCH9280.html

2. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

And here I always assosiate America's with their not so colourful money. It's interesting when a nation changes its currency in anyway. Canada has themed coins come out every once and a while, but the biggest change was when we changed from two dollar bills to the tooney. I think there was a design contest for that, but I was four when it happend.
    Kudos to the new American five dollar bills.

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Oh I remember back in good old days when our currency was mark and we had those big pennies and 10 marks bill and then they changed coins, they became really pretty ones and 10 marks was a coin and got new, 20marks bills... and then we got those ugly euro money :p actually 20€ is pretty blue but others... eww. But coins are cool and fun, especially when you go to store and get change and see "yay! I got Dutch euro!"

But wouldn't it be great that US got different colours as well. I remember it being so hard to check closely what you had... I mean different colours, different sizes (it's because of blind people). What if you'd have.... red one dollar bill?

4. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Yeah I always find that confusing about American money. I always have to do a double take to see what I have.

I much like Canada's money better. We have all the colours of the rainbow. :lol: It makes things quite easy. 5$ is blue, 20$ is green, 50$ is pink, 100$ is kind of a brownish red now. Although they remind me a bit of Monopoly money sometimes.

At any rate, congrats US on getting some more colour into that currency of yours!

5. Ducky

Euros have...gray 5€, red 10€, blue 20€ , orange 50€ and 100€ is green (like... poisonous green), 200€ is yellow-brownish and 500€ is purple. I have to admit I've never see such a big bills like 200 and 500 :D

6. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^It seems that most of the 500 € bills are here, but I've never seen one either. We called them "Bin Ladens" because everybody knows they exist but noone has seen one. :lol:

7. Hannah

Hannah Rookie

In New Zealand everything but two coins are the same :lol: $5-Orange $10-Blue $20-Green $50-Purpley-Reddish and $100-Red. Our 10c coin is copper coloured and our 20c and 50c coins are silver :D

8. Ducky

:lol: :lol: It just freaks me out that changed to our old currency, it's like nearly 3000fim. Biggst mark bill was lovely blue 1000fim.

I remember when euro came and there was quiet a lot fake ones, since it was new for everyone and not all knew what those looked like and there was some offering 300€ bill :p

And other cool thing with 2€ coins is those special coins, what I believe each country can make 1 each year. I own two special Finnish coins.

But back to US bill colouring, seriously would be a good thing. Like I said before, you had a bunch of bills and had to be careful that you didn't actually have 20dollar bill among your one dollar bills. And then there was some old kind of money and some newer looking ones, esp with 20 dollars.

9. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

I actually have seen all of the Euro bills. The 500€ look good just because of how much it is worth really :lol: And because when you see one, because there are less of them, it just looks new and bright. I like the blue 20 euros [ and I have just realised my keyboard doesn't have the € symbol :rolleyes: That's why I stole it from the quotes! ] But honestly, I don't really even pay attention to the bills colours. I like coins better though, it's funny when you get one from a country you had never seen before.

But either way, as American money seems to be a little washed out, is it? I'm glad you're getting some colour!

10. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Personally if you are American, as I am, you have no real problem with our all the same color money. I mean if that is all you know, it is simple to you. I mean when I went to a foreign country, even with the different colored bills, I still was not use to their color system so I still had to actually look at the money to figure out it's amount.

11. that_girl1

that_girl1 Coroner

It would be cool if all the American money was different colors. I get confused sometimes and once I took the wrong bill. I was supposed to take a $20 bill from my dad to go buy some food but instead I took a $100 bill :wtf:. My dad was seriously pissed when I got home with all of that change :lol:

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i used to work at a wholesale store that convenience stores would buy their stock from, and because of cigarettes there would be huge bills. like up to $10 000. they just hand you stacks of money, i flip through them and throw them in the counter. one person had given me 100 $20 bills and at the end of the day i realized there was an american $1 bill in there :eek: i had seen all green so i thought everything was ok, luckily my manager didnt get mad. so after that i made sure i saw the face of every bill, even if there were hundreds of them!

but that was common, some customers would try to cheat the cashiers. and then act so surprised when we caught them :rolleyes:

13. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

Canadian money is pretty, as it's been said. All the bills are different colours, all the coins are different sizes, and all the coins have the English queen on them. ^_^ although there is dispute on whether on not Canada will change that and have the Prime Ministers on them instead...I think that'd be too much work.
    All the bills also have different counterfeit devices in them, like the colour changing bar on the side and a hidden water mark you can only see when you hold the bill to the light. Some of the newer tens even have braille markings on them.