the difference between a CSI and a forensic scientist?

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Venus, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Venus

Venus Victim

does anyone know what the difference is between a CSI (or criminalist/scene of crime officer) and a forensic scientist? :confused:

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Well I guess that generally speaking a CSI would examine a crime scene to find and collect evidence, and the forensic scientist would actually scientifically examine whatever is collected. Forensic scientists would normally be lab based but might occassionally need to attend a crime scene.

Scenes of Crime officers (like in the UK) don't examine the evidence they simply find it and collect it for it to then be sent to one of the Forensic Science labs. They probably aren't scientists, at least that isn't a requirement for entry into the Police force, but would definitely be trained in evidence collection.

Anyway, that's my understanding of it, but I'm sure that someone else probably knows more about these things than me.

3. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Elsie has it exactly correct. Unlike what you see on TV, a CSI responds to crime scenes, processes/documents the scene, collects the evidence, and then turns it over to the crime lab where forensic scientists (some days/weeks/months later) will examine, identify and compare that evidence. On rare occasions, a forensic scientist will respond to major crime scenes to work the scene and collect the evidence; but that tends to be expensive and inefficient because forensic scientists are paid quite a bit more than CSIs. Accordingly, most crime labs keep their forensic scientists working in the lab, and hire cheaper CSIs to work the crime scenes.

Criminalist is another word for forensic scientist.

4. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

That is funny, because in canada, it is the opposite with the pay. I think its because you have to be a police officer to be a CSI here, and they are paid more than a scientist in a lab would be. At least that is what the CSI I talked to said...there was a career night at my university. I got to talk to a person in the lab, and someone in the field. I find the field work more interesting, but that is just me :p

5. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Depending upon the agency (salaries for city, county, state and federal law enforcement personnel vary greatly), it's very possible that a CSI who is also a sworn police officer would make more than the 'bench-level' forensic scientist. The difference probably occurs (again, depending on the country/agency) as the forensic scientist promotes up to senior scientist, supervising scientist, and manager. Given the nature of CSI (and unlike the TV show), there probably aren't as many promotional opportunities/levels in CSI as there are in the crime lab.

And I agree wholeheartedly ... I much prefer the field work!