The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twiztid4togo

twiztid4togo Coroner

Re: The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Legendary broadcaster Myron Cope dies at 79

Growing up my dad was a die hard Steeler fan and we watched the Pittsburgh Steeler every weekend. We all had a Terrible Towel, which he invented to help the Steelers win!

We just saw a stack of terrible towels at the store the other day and all the proceeds from the sales go to children with disability foundations.

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Lead singer for the Dave Clark Five has died. Mike Smith died Thursday. He was 64. The Dave Clark Five are to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in two weeks.

Dave Clark Five singer Mike Smith dies :(

May all those that have past away lately RIP

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Canadian blues guitarist Jeff Healey has died :( He was 41. He passed away on Sunday from cancer which he battled most of his life. He was born in Toronto and died at St Joseph's Hospital in Toronto.

Canadian blues guitarist Jeff Healey

4. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I read about Jeff Healey on the news this morning. It's awfully sad. :(

5. BurnedToast

BurnedToast Coroner

The eyes managed to skip down from TV Watercooler to the news line at the bottom of the screen to read about Jeff Healey. Definitely a sad day.
    Rest in peace, everybody!

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Dungeons & Dragons Co-Creator Dies at 69
    Mar 4, 7:37 PM (ET)
    By EMILY FREDRIX

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Gary Gygax, who co-created the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons and is widely seen as the father of the role-playing games, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69. He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.

Gygax and Dave Arneson developed Dungeons & Dragons in 1974 using medieval characters and mythical creatures. The game known for its oddly shaped dice became a hit, particularly among teenage boys, and eventually was turned into video games, books and movies.

Gygax always enjoyed hearing from the game's legion of devoted fans, many of whom would stop by the family's home in Lake Geneva, about 55 miles southwest of Milwaukee, his wife said. Despite his declining health, he hosted weekly games of Dungeons & Dragons as recently as January, she said.

7. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Gary is one of my heros for all the contributions he's made to the gaming community. And it's sad that his life had to end, but he is no longer suffering. Tis a sad day around here in WI, he shall be missed. RIP Gary!

8. twiztid4togo

twiztid4togo Coroner

blind blues musician Jeff Healey sadly succumbed to a cancer at age 41. Many knew Healey best from his appearance as Cody in the movie Road House (famous line: "I thought you'd be bigger"), so this sad news was compounded when Road House star Patrick Swayze revealed this week that he has (possibly terminal) cancer himself.

I couldn't find a link to a decent story about his death. Only something from Yahoo which I found to be a bit sickening as it seemed like they joked about his death. I edited what they wrote about it. I love Jeff Healey's voice. I loved his song "angel eyes." I'm listening to it right now and it's sad to know he's gone.

It seems he died on March 2nd. Sorry if someone else has posted about this already I just found out and wanted to say my condolenses to his friends and family. :angel:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003718419

May he RIP

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  9. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Okay he wasn't Celeb persae, but still wanted to add him.

Former Ohio Sen. Howard Metzenbaum dies

Former Sen. Howard Metzenbaum, an Ohio Democrat who was a feisty self-made millionaire before he began a long career fighting big business in the Senate, died Wednesday night. He was 90. -- Metzenbaum is survived by his wife, Shirley, and four daughters.

10. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

[​IMG]
    May the Angel's now keep you warm,
    while you are in Heaven's sweet home.
    Remember you will be missed,
    by all us fans, who loved you best.

Photo from armadillo graphic's

11. Dynamo1

Abba Drummer Found Dead in His Garden
    Mar 17, 9:13 AM (ET)
    By CIARAN GILES

MADRID, Spain (AP) - A former drummer for the Swedish pop band ABBA was found dead with cuts to his neck in the garden of his house on the Spanish island of Mallorca. Police said Monday an autopsy showed it was an accident.

A neighbor found the body of 62-year-old Ola Brunkert on Sunday evening at his house in a coastal area outside the eastern town of Arta, a Civil Guard spokesman told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

He said an autopsy was carried out and confirmed initial investigations. "It was an accident," he said.

The spokesman said Brunkert hit his head against a glass door in his dining room, shattering the glass and cutting himself in the neck. He managed to wrap a towel around his neck and left the house to seek help, but collapsed in the garden.

Full story at Iwon/AP News.

12. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

British film director Anthony Minghella has died at the age of 54.

Minghella, whose films include Truly, Madly, Deeply and Cold Mountain, was chairman of the British Film Institute.
    In 1996, he won an Oscar for directing The English Patient and was also Oscar-nominated for writing the screenplay for 1999's The Talented Mr Ripley.
    He has also directed a TV episode of book The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, due to be screened this Easter.
    A 90-minute pilot, directed by Minghella and co-written with Richard Curtis, is due to be screened on BBC One.
    Minghella began his career as a writer with his early radio plays winning several awards.
    He made his first film, Truly, Madly, Deeply, in 1991, followed by The English Patient and The Talented Mr Ripley.
    When he took on the role of chairman of the British Film Institute (BFI) in 2003, he told the BBC: "We're not getting enough movies made here, our studios aren't busy enough, we don't have enough studios. "We're not good at lassoing the talent we have here and containing it within the British Isles, and we should all be working to address that." (source: BBC).

13. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Such sad news about Anthony Minghella. He was such a talented director, and a lovely man too. Here's some further info:

BBC Newspage

14. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I just read about Anthony on an LJ community. Sad to see him go, really love his work.

15. Dynamo1

Writer Arthur C. Clarke Dies at 90

Mar 18, 6:41 PM (ET)

By RAVI NESSMAN

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) - Arthur C. Clarke, a visionary science fiction writer who won worldwide acclaim with more than 100 books on space, science and the future, died Wednesday in his adopted home of Sri Lanka, an aide said. He was 90.

Clarke, who had battled debilitating post-polio syndrome since the 1960s and sometimes used a wheelchair, died at 1:30 a.m. after suffering breathing problems, aide Rohan De Silva said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.