What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

I have just finished reading probably the saddest book that I came across. I don't really know the exact English translation because the title was in Romanian, but it was about a 10 year old boy who was suffering from leukemia, and he had only 12 days to live. His parents didn't visit him very often, but the boy became very close to a nurse to whom he referred to as Miss Roz. The nurse taught the kid to write a letter to God every day. The child did not believe in God, because his parents told him that He didn't exist. Miss Roz tells the boy to live 10 years in one single day, and so he does. The book is written from the child's point of view, as the letters he has sent to God. "Oscar and Miss Roz" - or something like that, I am not exactly sure -

2. future_cop

future_cop Lab Technician

Hmm,currently I'm reading two books

Book of the dead by Patricia Cornwell and
    By the light of moon by Dean Koontz

3. WASSITO

WASSITO Pathologist

I'm reading "Feeling Good-The New Mood Therapy" by Dr. Burnes.

4. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

I started "Without a Word" (well that's the one-by-one translation, don't know if the original title is the same) by Linwood Barclay. It's about a girl who wakes up one morning and her family (mother, father and her brother) are gone. It sounded interesting so I bought it.

5. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I'm still reading Stephen Kings The Cell. Man, it's been about six friggin' months. :lol: I am nearing the end thou. Unfortunately I've not had the time to give it my full attention. It's not a bad book actually, but I'm very interested to see how it's going to end, because at the moment, I can't see how it's going to be all wrapped up.

After I've finished that I'll be starting on Karin Slaughters Skin Privilege. :D

6. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

I'm just in the middle of Jaws, I know we've all seen the movie, but I figured it was time I read the book. So far I can honestly say it's shocking, for in the book, Chief Brody's wife, has an affair with Hooper :eek:, the Oceanographer, that helps them kill the shark. There is also alot more violence, and gore then there was in the movie.

I can say, if you haven't read the book, I highly recommend you do, for it's so different from the movie. :)

7. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I actually read it before I saw the movie and was surprised how much was different in the movie. No affair and the language was quite toned down. I loved the book.

8. MacsLovlyAngl

Huh!!! in my book, and my mom's, she did, also in the book, Hooper dies, he doesn't live, I don't know why it's not in yours, unless it's a differnt copy, because they had the affair, when he arrived on the island, and went over to the Brody's, because as they left to kill the shark, Brody argued with his wife about it.

Also when they are on the boat, Brody threatens Hooper, telling him, "If the shark don't kill you, I will when this is over".

Anyways, no matter, still a good book. :D

9. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I completely forgot that Hooper died, I read it like 4 years ago.

10. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Yesterday I finished Huck Finn and I have to say that looking back on it, it was a better book than I thought it was reading it. I thought the book impossible to read however when you look back on it, you can really understand the message Mark Twain was conveying. I think everybody should read it at least once. It really does go against the conventional wisdom of the time.

Right now I'm also reading Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell. I'm still pretty early in the books but I think that ever since the characters left VA they've been lost and she's been lost as a writer. This one seems to be better than previous novels however my expectations are quite low.

11. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

oohhh...i just finished reading the first Dexter book. It is a bit different, there wasn't as many of dexter victims like in the show. It was more about the ice truck killer. Also, it had less flash backs. But it is a pretty small book, so they did have to add stuff for 12 episodes. He is even more messed up! crazy...and the end is different, which was pretty cool. I can't wait for the second one..i heard it is really crazy :wtf:

12. MacsLovlyAngl

I've finished "Jaws, and must say two thumbs up on it.
    I've now started a new book called "Wild Rain", by Christine Feehan. It's all about shapeshifter's. Not to give anything away, there is alot of Adult scene's in the book, but so far an intersting read:)

13. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

Remember Slash from Guns N Roses (now Velvet Revolver) I am reading his autobiography. Its very interesting so far.

14. Wolfca

Wolfca Prime Suspect

Just finished 'Hover Car Racer' by Matthew Reilly. If you love motor sports and want to know the future of that sport this is a book for you:thumbsup:

Now starting to re-read Steve Alten's 'Meg'

15. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

I've got two books on the go. One is The House that Hugh Laurie Built by Paul Challen. It's really interesting; all about Hugh Laurie, all the actors on House, and it ends with a complete episode guide of the first three season.
    I'm also reading Cannibal Killers by Peter Haining. A little freaky, but a good read if you're interested in the history of Cannibalism, and true crime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.