The Oscars 2008

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

I agree, and I was also delighted that Javier Bardem won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role in 'No Country For Old Men'. I felt quite proud that all 4 winners of the main acting Oscars were European. :)

[​IMG]

Yay for some Spanish flair! Well done Javier. :D

2. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

amen :)

and I loved his acceptance speech, especially as he switched into Spanish

3. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I think just as, if not more, upsetting than the Brad Renfro snub, was the Whoopi Goldberg snub. As the first woman to host the Oscars, the first black woman to host the Oscars, the first Oscar winner to host the Oscars and the second black woman to receive an Oscar ever, I think it was more than a tiny mistake that she wasn't included in the Oscar hosts montage.

4. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

I'm so glad Marion won the oscar , she so deserved it! Actually i was rooting for either Marion or Cate, but my little french heart was happy to see Marion winning :p
    btw i loved Cate Blanchet reaction when Forest said "Marion Cotillard" :lol:

Congrats also for Daniel Day Lewis (great actor) and Javier Bardem!

5. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i was more upset about the Enchanted Songs. i wanted at least one of them to win. the one i was hoping for was "So Close", its a beautiful song...oh well.

i was extremely happy for "No Country For Old Men" winning. Congrats to Javier Bardem!!!! :D

6. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I not surprised that he didn't win. He never does. In fact, I don't think his ever won an Oscar, which is shocking because his probably one the best actors out there. It sucks.

7. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Nope. He never won any Oscars though he was nominated for the following:

2008: Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
    for: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

2005: Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
    for: Finding Neverland

2004: Best Actor in a Leading Role for: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

According to IMDB.com, he has won the following:

2000: Blockbuster Entertainment Award, Favorite Actor - Horror for: Sleepy Hollow

1999: César Awards, France, Honorary César

2006: Empire Awards, UK, Best Actor for: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

2004: Empire Awards, UK, Best Actor for: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

2008: Golden Globes, USA, Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy for: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

2003: Hollywood Film Festival, Actor of the Year

2004: Irish Film and Television Awards, Audience Award, Best International Actor for: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

1996: London Critics Circle Film Awards, ALFS Award, Actor of the Year for: Ed Wood, also for Don Juan DeMarco.

2007: MTV Movie Awards, Best Performance for: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

2004: MTV Movie Awards, Best Male Performance
    for: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

He has also won People's Choice Awards, Rembrandt Award, Russian Guild of Film Critics Golden Aries, Screen Actors Guild Award, and Teen Choice Awards.

8. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Hey, at least he doesn't pull a Kanye everytime he doesn't win. [​IMG]

He's a very talented actor. I'm suprized he hasn't won at least one. :confused:

9. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Johnny Depp is one actor that deserves an oscar...he is an amazing actor.

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

the oscars was incredibly dull, even the song performances were less than interesting. were they short on original songs that they could nominate or something?

i hadnt seen the majority of the movies nominated, and a lot of actors were european in the nominated roles so i had no idea who they were. luckily the animated feature was early in the show, i gave my rats a treat after ratatouille won :lol: i kept watching because i had nothing else to do, and wanted to see johnny. he certainly deserves awards for his acting, but he likes weird roles and the academy voters seem to like boring movies. plus i dont think johnny cares, from interviews hes given.

the best part of the night was seth rogen and jonah hill arguing over who was more like halle berry. unfortunately that was only about 2 minutes of funny in about 3 hours of meh.

11. MiamiDade

MiamiDade Pathologist

I enjoyed The Oscars this year, mainly because of the European talent. It made a refreshing change, and I thought 'No Country For Old Men' was a superb film. As much as I love Johnny Depp (who I really hope gets a Oscar one day - I thought he should have won for The Curse Of The Black Pearl), Daniel Day Lewis fully deserved his Oscar for Best Actor in 'There Will Be Blood' imo. :)