American Idol

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Della

Della Police Officer

I dunno really, desertwind, the biker woman, Amanda, I think she does a better job at Janis Joplin than Janis Joplin did - chuckle. I do think Janis Joplin is an acqired taste, and I'm afraid she was the bitter taste buds for me, (not a favourite singer of mine), unlike Amanda.

I'm really hoping that Amanada does what Simon has advised and sings something less rock inclined. Maybe some good old blues. Yeah, I think she could do something like that really well.

As for the Evis Presley songs that were chosen - I'm afraid Danny sang "Jailhouse Rock" waaaaaaaaay too fast, but he was in tune and he did bring his own identity to the song. However, it was embarrassing, but not as embarrasing as, um, I've forgotten his name, because he absolutely ruined "Suspicious Minds" - A favourite Elvis song of mine. I really cringed the entire time he was on stage, so not that unhappy that he went.

My favourites are David and Amanda so far.

To be honest, I promised myself I wouldn't watch this after last year's debacle (for me it was because I think Melinda Doolittle should have got to the final, no doubt in my mind) but, well, it's drawn me in again - chuckle.

:)

Oh, PS: Yeah, I really liked Paula's song and yet I'm surprised that I do :D

2. luvincsi

luvincsi Pathologist

David has been the favorite now. I mean, it seems like whoever I ask, they say that he's their favorite. :) Well, what can I say, he's got the whole package - cute, great voice and likeable. :D Last night, his hair was all different and he looked like he was twelve again and back on Star Search. :lol: And when he was just all smiles in the end of their opening perfomance was really cute! He's just so cute. :)

Last night, I watched the elimination ep and I wasn't surprised with the results of the votes.

I have to agree that Paula's new video rocked! :) I really liked it and the last part was cool. ;)

And Danny crying was adorable. *giggles*

3. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Unfortunately the song choices were so limited. AI producers picked out 50 songs for the 24 of them (Nigel confirmed this in an interview), they didn't have free choices like they used to in previous years. Garrett said in an interview that they pretty much made him sing that song (breaking up is hard to do). What clearly happened, the producers gave their top choices (the contestants pre-selected to make the top 12) first picks, then gave the cannon fodder (the filler contestants that are not that great to guarantee most of the ones they want in the top 12 make it) the crappy songs. It is pretty obvious they put bad songs on that list, out of all the 60's music, that is what they came up with?? Ulg.

If you noticed, usually in the voting rounds the judges always talk about song choices, but they didn't really mention it...this is why.

4. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

That's sick. You'd think since it's called American Idol they'd let America decide. That's really too bad. Are they gonna do that for the rest of the competition? Pick songs for them? I wonder why they suddenly decided to do that this year.

I really like Amanda, but I'm with Simon as well. She needs to sing something else so she doesn't get pigeonholed. I think she has the capability to do other stuff, she just needs to give it a shot.

We'll see what happens next week.

5. luvincsi

luvincsi Pathologist

:eek: I can't believe it. That's actually pretty sad to know. It's just so fake if they do that. :( I wonder what happens next week, if the song choices would still be pretty bad.

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

this weeks theme is the 70's, next is the 80's. They are using the same song selection methods too. So it isn't looking too good. Also the songs that are used, all go back to Clive Davis. By promoting these songs, they surge in popularity, and he makes more money. Great way to promote older music. But song selection is just one part of the manipulation by idol...if you read the small disclaimer at the end of the credits, it states the producers reserve the rights to discount votes. AI is just a pop star factory money making machine. Its also going to be a huge train wreck this season...

7. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

You know, I have to honestly say I'm getting no enjoyment out of this years Idol. And WTF :eek: is wrong with Paula, she's not making any sense, she talks in circles :eek:, and with Ryan, not saying Simon's name at the end of the show, is getting really old, it was funny the first time, but now it's just lame. :p

8. Della

Della Police Officer

:eek: :eek: :eek: That's just..... Well that's just unbelievable. I'm gob-smacked. WTF??!!! How can they do that? And what about the money they take from viewers who are calling in for their favourites?

There's been a big outbreak of TV stations over here in the Uk being raked over the coals because of something like this, where the viewers were asked to phone in and vote for their favourite and yet it was discovered that the winner had already been pre-determined by the prods of the program.

I mean, that's what that small print at the end of American Idol is suggesting isn't it? That if they don't agree with the viewers choices then they have the right to step in... It's ludicrous!! And not only that it's fraudulent as well.

...I'm speechless...

:eek:

9. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

^ I've always suspected that from the show. I tend to think they look at the votes and then decide who they they think might win based on both the vote count and who they've pretty much pre-determined to be successful.

The qualm I have with this show is they have quite a bit of professionals on. For example, that guy who was in the acapella group and Robbie, who was a backup singer for Briney Spears, I believe. And the ironic thing is, they're not half as good as amateur David A. :lol:

^^ About the song choices thing, I can't say I'm very surprised. I've noticed they've been getting more hideous through the years. It was the 70s last night and there are oodles of songs they could have chosen but they did the most used/over-played/terribly concieved ones. The only songs I enjoyed were All Right Now and Hot Blooded.

Whatever happened to Boston, Journey, BTO, Bad Company, .38 special, Clapton, Seager, Blue Oyster Cult, The Guess Who, Heart, Kansas, REO, Styx, The Who, Dire Straights, Grand Funk Railroad, etc. COME ON PEOPLE. :eek:

And I'm getting a bit miffed with the petty booing everytime Simon or Randy didn't like a performance. They're usually right. Why cheer for someone who messed up the words, sang out of tune, danced terribly, made a complete fool out of themselves and expected to win? They get so worked up over the opinion of a couple of people. (And the opinions are usually um, spot on)

10. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

lol, yet every week Ryan says, "America, YOU have the power to choose who the next American Idol will be." :rolleyes:

David A makes me squeal. He's so so so adorable and awkward on stage. Like when Ryan was pretended to get off the stage and he was like, "no! Don't leave me here!" :lol: It's kind of obvious why he was last though. The producers do that so the show can go out on a big bang, etc.

I'm really not liking hearing about all this stuff how the contestants don't really get to choose whatever song they want, how the producers can discount votes and so on. Makes me wonder what other aspects of the show aren't entirely true.

11. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I don't believe that they can't pick any song they want, I heard Simon, say they can :eek: I was a bit stunned though when some of the boys sang Fleetwood Mac :( Queen :( Foreigner :( and the Doobies :( not good versions either.. why do they do that? David, who sang 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone" good job, and when the other David started singing Imagine by one of my heroes John Lennon, I was going dear gawd, don't do that, but was pleasantly surprised that he pulled it off, and did a totally different version.. and he's 16 :eek: so those two were the only ones I enjoyed, and that guy :rolleyes: with the biker chain hanging off his pants, and uncombed hair, what fashion statement was he making, awful :mad:

12. Della

Della Police Officer

You know, I was sitting through the whole of this episode and wondered the exact same thing. I mean, for the Pop side of things, Elton John came out with some crackers during that time, as did the Stones, Marc Bolan (T-Rex), David Bowie and so on... And then there was ACDC, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and so on and so on for the rockers... Sheesh!

Though, to be honest, speed_cochrane, the ones who sang the better known songs for me, such as "All Right Now" - Well, I'm a massive "Free" fan (and Bad Company) and although David Cook is okay, his rendition was bad. "All Right Now" isn't a rockers song, it's Soul/Blues based and I'm afraid, in my opinion, all David seemed to do was just roughen his voice up a bit and hope that did the soulful thing for him. Not good.

Also, and although I am a fan of David Archuleta, his renditon of "Imagine" was just... just seriously wrong. He styalised the song. He gave it soft, fluffy edges and yet "Imagine" needs, practically demands for it to be sung straight. In fact it has to be sung straight because the most striking thing about the song are the words which are accompanied by a simplicity of the piano, and, most importantly, there's nothing lovey-dovey about that song at all. It's a statement song, much like Bob Dylan's protest songs.

I'm afraid I seriously cringed during the whole of David's rendition of "Imagine" because by adding the soft, fluffy edges he sounded more like a Hallmark Greeting Card for Valentines Day than someone who had something to say. It was horrible.

Still, I'm not surprised by the comments he got from the judges because they're basically treating him like a five-year old in need of constant pampering, which, I think, is not only insulting David but it also makes me grind my teeth (He's seventeen people, not seven! and not only that I think he'd take some constructive criticism really well)

...AND the less said about Luke's "Killer Queen" and David Hernandez's "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" the better I think :eek: *shudder*

As for the booing, yeah, it's so predictable now and, as you say, really annoying. I don't blame Simon for getting peeved about it at all.

All in all, I thought Jason Yeager did really well vocally, shame that his dancing distracted you from what he was doing vocally (and I thought the judges were particularly harsh on him), and I also liked "Hot Blooded" by Robbie Carico as well.

Other than that though, I thought the rest of the episode was pretty dire.

13. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Well to be fair, I meant I liked the songs All Right Now and Hot Blooded on their own, not the performances. :)

I thought the renditions fell a bit short and the songs didn't exactly suit them all the best.

As for last night, Amanda sang one of my favorite songs 'Carry on My Wayward Son' and pretty much butchered it but hey, that song is more or less for a band and is moreso focused on the instrumental aspect of it.

I thought the girls last night did an okay job but I wasn't jumping up for joy. Eh.

14. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Well I saw Simon on Jay Leno, and he asked him "can they pick any song they want" and Simon replied "YES" any song they want ;), so that mystery is solved, and Della Eric Clapton, and HEART appear here in Vegas, all the time, the rest in smaller venues, but I don't know what happened to KANSAS :confused:last night all the girls were good, that rock-n'roller, is a bit out of her time zone, she reminds me of old Grace Slick, and rockers from days gone by.. who does that anymore? and her hair is ghastly, just not happening, my opinion! wierdo singers now, are Amy Winehouse and such. On the guys, just two impressed me, but all the girls were pretty outstanding!

15. Della

Della Police Officer

I know what you mean. There was some serious cringing going on from me when it came to Amanda performing that song. I thought she might do a good rendition of it and while I thought she did well with the quieter bits, the louder bits were pretty awful to be honest - and her dancing and facial expressions reminded me of Elvis, with the curled lip and the leg movements. It didn't suit her at all.

Her hair reminded me of Cruella DeVille(sp?) of 101 Dalmations. Scary... and it really didn't suit her. However, I am a fan of her clothes. I did like what she was wearing and I think it does suit her style, but this time her hair style made her clothing seem odd to me.

Yeah, I think an overall 'Meh!' for the episode kind of says it all to be honest.

As a side note... I have an .AVI of last year's Idol at this point in time and I decided to take a look, just to see if this year is any better or worse, and I have to say that compared to last year, no-one is really standing out vocally this year.

Amanda is only really standing out for me because of how she dresses and that she does not have the a-typical saccharine-sweet voice of most of the pop girls of today. Having said that though, although Amanda's voice is different there's nothing that special abut it, unlike Melinda Doolittle's voice of last year for me.

So, yeah, pretty 'Meh' in comparison.

***Desertwind*** - Oooh, sneaky Simon... I'm sure they are choosing their own songs, but if the list is twelve songs and there are say 10 contestants having to choose from that list, well, whoever compiled the list is pretty much choosing their songs for them, because you can't have them all singing the same song on the show.

....Though it does appear that the list is the same for both the girls and the boys because a boy and a girl sang a version of "Happy Together" *shrug*

Hmmm.... I still think there's something dodgy going on there because I've yet to think that just one song has fully complimented any one of the participants this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.