What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miss_Undercover

Miss_Undercover Judge

I read at the moment * A Study in Scarlet * by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The best author all-time.

He write in this book the begin of the friendship between the famous private detective Sherlock Holmes and his loyal chronicler Dr. John H. Watson. It's very interested and funny. ;)

Because Watson was in the Afghanistan war as doctor in the military hospital.
    But one day he was wounded in the campaign.
    Later he was long time very ill - stood on the brink of death - and went postwar to London.
    And would the new cohabiter of Holmes in 221b Baker Street.

A begin of a great teamwork.

2. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

"Was bleibt" by Christa Wolf. But I have no idea what the hell she's saying. :(
    I have to read it for my German literature exam on Wednesday. I've read like 10 other books for this class, and this is the only one that I just don't 'get'. Does this make sense?

I've also read Die Widmung (The dedication) by Botho Strauss. Basically it's about a guy who's girlfriend left him. Now he's alone and you just read all his thoughts and ideas now she's abandoned him. I thought this book would be boring, but it's actually well written. Plus, he can be very sarcastic at times, and that just makes it very funny sometimes. :D

3. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

^ I remember way back in the day when we would have to read literature as part of our French and Spanish curriculum that there would always be one book out of the dozen or so that we were reading that would be impossible to decipher because of the interesting turns of phrase that the author would use. Sometimes it was just because the book was written back in the 18th or 19th century and the language was just different centuries ago! I guess anyone trying to read Chaucer in Middle English would have a similar experience!

I just finished reading Acacia: Book One, the War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham. It's in the fantasy genre and deals with the evils that often come with empire-building and the consequences of such evils. The book is fascinating and is meant to be a part of a series. Very well-written and thought-provoking.

4. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I've just started reading Tim Burtons "The Melacholy Death of Oyster Boy and other stories" came through the post yesterday and is going to become my book on the train.

I'm also half way through Roald Dahls Collection of short stories which are the more adult ones... and its great because its a book you can read whenever you want as the stories don't relate to each other and they are just the right length as i'm not a avid reader but i when i fancy it i can just pick it up i've been reading this book for ages.

5. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Lions of Lucerne and Path of the Assassin both by Brad Thor. I thought that both of his books were nicely action packed and enjoyable. However I'm not a fan of how so far in both books he's working with a woman who it seems he works ok with and is replaced in the next book. The woman who he was working with in Path of the Assassin was a complete rip off of Anna from Vince Flynn's books. Overall it's a pretty good series.

For English class I'm about halfway through the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain and I think I'm supposed to finish it this week. This book is quite challenging and it seems as though there's no character development so far. Frankly at this point character development and changing of opinions from the characters seems to be the only point for this book at this point. This book is mentally exhausting to read which has sort of influenced my opinion of it.

When I finish the book I'll complete my opinion of it.

Has anyone read Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy I got it from my library and I've read the first couple pages and I can't decide if it's going to be followable or if it's too overly technical for an enjoyable read. This is from a mix of the book and looking on his website. Please no spoilers tell me if it's readable or if I should return it.

6. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins.

It's amazing to see these people who go about undetected by the world, and the power they wield over politicians and countries. Kind of scary actually...

I'm also re-reading JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion for the thousanth time. His works always have some kind of pull on me...and vision he had for an entire fantasy world is simply amazing.

7. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I love Stuart MacBride! Cold Granite was the first book of his I read and I'm totally hooked on him as an author. I've got 2 other books of his, one of which I've read which was just as fantastic.

At the moment I'm reading Wash This Blood Clean from my Hand by Fred Vargas which is pretty good. That title is so gory sounding, and it's just not, not yet anyway. Also, The Collectors by David Baldacci, which is good.

8. Rosebud

Rosebud Civilian

I am currently reading the 10th Circle by Jodi Picolett I just finished die for me by karen rose. I can t believe i havent seen this one either i read all the time. Even more now that there are only reruns and reality stuff on tv.

9. Eszie

Eszie Hit and Run

Right now, I'm reading an old, good book: War of the Worlds from H.G. Wells.
    My English teacher recommanded it to me, so I start to read it.

10. Rosebud

Rosebud Civilian

7th Heaven by James Patterson

11. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I've taken a break from my usual reading and started reading the CSI novels (not the miami, NY ones). It helped get me through this strike.

They're easy, fast reads. Stories are good.

Then I have "Duma Key" by Stephen King waiting in the wings.

12. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Please add more content in future posts. See Posting in Miscellaneous for more information. Thanks. :)

13. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Given the fact that I finished my exams, came back from my brief 1 week vacation, started a new boring semester, the computer doesn't live in my room anymore and I only have a TV in there, I have started reading several books at once:
    1. The Silence of the Lambs (it's pure pleasure, it's the 20th time I read it)
    2. The Magician - John Fowles - it begins very promising
    3. Continuing Ulysses by James Joyce - I have abandoned it a month ago
    4. Ana Karenina by Tolstoy - re-reading it one more time :)

14. ilovegrissom2008

ilovegrissom2008 Civilian

I'm currently reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. This book is the first in the Wheel of Time series. It started off kind of bland and boring, but now it's getting pretty exciting, especially as I'm up to chapter 25 or 26 - something like that. I highly recommend it to anybody who likes pure fantasy - but there is one drawback. Some of the characters can be kind of whiny, especially in later chapters. Ignore that, and you'll be fine. :D

15. CaRWash_Cutie

CaRWash_Cutie Rookie

I'm reading Grave Secrets by Kathy Reichs. Lately I've been reading all of Reichs books about forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. The tv series Bones is based off of these amazing novels, and while I prefer the show to the books, the books are really well written and funny and informative...you might even learn a thing or two in the process! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.