The Strike Is Over

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Feb 13, 2008.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

It's a landslide.

Members of the Writers Guild of America (WGA) turned out in droves on February 12 to vote on whether to return to work after learning the details of the proposed contract with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP). In the end, the results were clear: 92.5% of the 3,775 WGA members who cast ballots on the issue voted to put down their picket signs and pick up their pens.

The vote ends a 100-day strike that began on November 5 and brought the entertainment industry to a screeching halt. Now that the members of the guild have gotten a chance to voice their opinions, the leaders of the WGA will go through the process of ratifying the contract. The three-year agreement is expected to go into effect on February 25.

"They successfully faced down six multinational media conglomerates and established a beachhead on the Internet," said <font color=yellow>Jonathan Handel</font>, former associate counsel for the WGA, West. "When you consider what they were initially offered and the enormous odds they faced, that's quite an achievement." However, the contract is far from ideal, and both sides were forced to make compromises. "It's a good deal, but not a great one," Handel explained. <font color=yellow>Steven Beer</font>, an entertainment attorney at Greenberg Traurig, said that the months-long strike could have a negative effect on the opportunities available to scribes. "Writers got hard-fought and well earned improvements but it could be tougher sledding for the rank and file in the future," he explained.

The strike put more than 60 shows out of production and damaged the economy of Los Angeles. With things finally pushing forward and the writers ready to get back to work, networks are eager to get the industry moving and get shows back on the air. A list compiled (and updated) by Ausiello gives statistics on how many episodes the various shows are hoping to complete. At the moment, CBS is planning to produce 4-8 additional episodes of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and CSI: New York for this season and 4-9 episodes of CSI: Miami, all to air in March, April and May. This is up from the previous estimate of 4-7 episodes for all three series. New York lead-in Criminal Minds and CSI lead-out Without a Trace are both expected to complete 4-9 episodes for the current season as well.

The article about the voting to end the strike is from the Los Angeles Times. To find out how many episodes of your favorite shows could be added to the schedule this season, check out Ausiello's list (keep in mind that all numbers are subject to change). Also check out this article from Variety that gives tentative information about the networks' plans.<center></center>

2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I'm sooooooooo happy! I can't stand reality TV. I can't wait for new episodes.

Lets all celebrate!!!!

[​IMG]

3. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Thank goodness they all finally saw eye to eye. April/May seems a bit off but now that people will be getting back to work in the next few days is well worth the wait. :)

4. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

[​IMG]

WHOOO!!!
    I am so happy this Writers Strike is over!!
    Wow I didn't know it lasted 100 days!!
    I am glad they sorted everything out

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

WOO HOO!!!! :D :D :D

Bring on the bubbly!!!! :D :D :D

Great news!!! :D :D :D

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

the only good thing that came out of the strike is 'the moment of truth', 'American Gladiators' and the Grammy Awards.

7. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

I have dreamed about this day... and dreams do come true :D where's the party at? I wanna join :D

8. fastfoodjunkie

fastfoodjunkie Rookie

[​IMG]
    Woo! Great! :D

9. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Hooray! :D :D This is such good news. :D

10. HC_4_my_birthday

HC_4_my_birthday Lab Technician

juat glad it's over heard it on the radio at 4am this morning while getting up for work

11. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

Zap To It is reporting CSI will return April 3 with 6 episodes, Miami March 24 with 8 more, and New York with seven remaining. . . interesting how the show with the highest ratings gets the least

12. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Best news I have heard in a long time!

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Yea, I love how CSI LV has less, that must have something to do with the quality of this CSI show. Highest ratings = taking longer to produce AND a better show.

Sorry, if I offend the New York/Miami fans, I just can't get into those.

But, I think we should get 8 more also.

At least we're getting 6 episodes we almost didn't have.

14. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It may have nothing to do with 'ratings' or 'quality' and everything to do with scheduling conflicts or something. *shrug*

15. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

Ya I agree, with Fay, the NCAA tourney runs through March on CBS, primarily on Thursday nights, could have something to do with it.