The evolution of CSI: NY.

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Daquien, Feb 5, 2008.

1. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

I agree with everyone..Season 1 was the best, but we shouldn't ignore the others. It's true, the good, interesting plot lines were lost somehow right in the first episode of season 2. Aiden's departure was a great loss for NY, but that's life.

All the characters (even Sid and Adam) had their share of drama.. Mac had the Clay Dobson trial and a few trouble with Flack (I just love when I see the characters fight a little bit, it makes it more real because in real life people tend to fight), Stella had the HIV dilemma (I don't think that the plot with Frankie was bad, but it didn't wake up some sympathy in me), Danny had a lot of drama, but there are 2 that are worth mentioning: Louie in RSRD and Ruben's death (apparently he found the answer to his own question in the last ~horrible,horrible~ episode and he managed to get pass the guilt he felt --although I believe that even if it wasn't on the script Carmine tried to make Danny look not at his best, suggesting a drop of continuity) Lindsay had the Montana-drama, that if it didn't start from season 2 and last that long it might have been quite interesting, Hawkes was accused and imprisoned for murder, Flack had his guts ripped out and he had some conflicts with Mac (I like to repeat myself: it was great, personally I love it), Adam was tortured in Snow Day and Sid was saved by Stella in The Ride In.

Overall it's good the show got a little bit lighter in the next seasons (I know that I loved the season 1 "Tri-Borough" that was very light). My personal problem with the cases in the new seasons is that the majority of them include kinky sex. Someone said that the Second Life case was a bit over the top, I disagree. As long it was only one episode and if the writers don't try to repeat the plot, it was actually very good. I got a little bit tired of the killers that killed either for jealousy or for money.

From the 3 shows, I like NY best, in my opinion it's the one that connects the best with the viewers.

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It's definitely true that seasons 2-4 weren't lacking drama in the same way that season 1 wasn't lacking humor--I think we tend to get it into our minds that a season did or didn't have something and then forget that it's not that simple (the dag-blasted blue tint in season 1, for example, which makes countless people so positive that the entire season was nearly impossible to see when watching it--personally, I have vivid memories of being able to tell what's going on, and the 'blue' was gone by midway through the season anyway, but there you go). The later seasons didn't corner the market on lighthearted banter (in fact, Hawkes had some great, fun moments in season 1).

Not that I'm saying anybody in here suggested that (I read the thread, but I haven't committed every post to memory :p), it's just the kind of thing I see suggested now and then. While there were certainly differences between the first season and the others, it's not like they turned the lights on and gave everybody a sense of humor. :p

The overall impression of season 1 was more gritty and real, while seasons 2-4 have been more glossy and...stylized--and I think the overall impression is important to how fans perceive the show.

I like cases where you sympathize with both the victims and the killers--it makes you see that crime affects a lot of people. When the cases are about bored, rich, beautiful people, or when the victims are little more than names, it's hard to make that same connection.

Poor man probably had to hitchhike to the hospital at the end of the episode though since everybody else was busy with Danny. :p

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, Danny is the show's prima donna. :lol: Wouldn't it be hilarious to see an outtake of Adam hitchhiking to the hospital??? :lol: That would be funny. :lol:

4. msl

msl Dead on Arrival

Or him in the background with his hand raised saying "A lil' help please?" :lol: :lol: :lol: As Danny is load up into an ambulance and it drives away.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Or when Flack yells, "Get EMS over here," or whatever he said, they show Adam waiting for help and the EMS people come charging in and practically trample him to get to Danny. :lol: Poor Adam. :( He should join forces with Hawkes and kick Danny's ass for being a thunder stealer. :lol:

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

:lol: Danny would really be in trouble if he didn't have Flack to protect him. :lol: He kinda steals a lot of people's thunder, doesn't he? :eek: :lol:

7. althea

althea Lab Technician

^^ Like when there was finally some Hawkes backstory Danny decided to do a strip show! Danny is so needy for attension :lol: One of these days I swear someone is going to do a brady bunch impression and be yelling marsha, marsha marsha! Or in this case Danny, Danny, Danny! :lol:

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Or maybe Hawkes will be talking and Danny will start to walk in and then suddenly, in the background, we see several ninjas jump out of nowhere and knock him to the ground. Then Mac will be like, "...What just happened?" And Hawkes will be like, "I hired some ninjas to keep Danny from stealing my thunder." Then Adam will make a call to demand his own team of thunder-protecting ninjas in case he has to be a woobie again.

:D

9. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I think someone already said this on here, but I found the cases and the people involved in them in s1 (and s2, but especially s1) to be much more emotionally identifiable-with. What I mean is, I just re-watched American Dreamers, and at the end when Aaron's parents see the son they thought was dead, who they've been searching for for 20 years being led away as a murderer who killed an innocent boy over $2m, I really felt for them. I think one reason for this was because they weren't beautiful wealthy people, just regular looking parent-types. I realized I haven't felt that way towards a victim since at least the end of s2. I miss that.

10. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

In the UK thread we were saying that the people who commit the crimes are mostly rich etc but like in Seaon one it was the complete opposite :)

11. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Re: The evolution of CSI: NY. *DELETED*

Post deleted by MacsLady

12. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

*Cough* Wrong *Cough* Thread! :D

13. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

^Yes *cough* it was. *cough* *blush* I'll just correct that. You know where to find 'em, natty.

14. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

we're all talking about how much the show has changed since season 1 and kinda complaining yet we keep going back week after week lol. i love it when i do this complain about something yet still go back :)

i think we just noticed the changes more b/c they've been more in our faces. like when i went back and rewatched season 1 i did notice some really good light moments. but now in the newer seasons the whole show is a bit lighter and those moments are kinda pushed forward and more pronounced.

CSI:NY is such a great show and i'm so addicted sometimes it doesn't matter what they do i'll always come back. maybe when an ep kinda sucks or a season kinda sucks we wanna keep coming back to see if the next ep or season gets better.

15. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

^I agree. An ep may suck, even quite a bit of a season, but there are always a few fantastic storylines, and the cast are great (some i like much more than others though) which keeps me coming back. The hot guys help too of course. :devil: And the science is cool. :cool: