Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. csifreak16

csifreak16 Victim

Re: Writers Strike - Is it going to have an effect on TV sho

even over here in the UK, it's had a big effect. we've had to stop showing things so you lot have time to catch up. lol. it's weird. but i'm so glad it's coming to a close. :) <3

2. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

Good News: From Yahoo news and Reuters...As of 4pm EST

Writers union backs deal to end Hollywood strike

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The governing bodies for the union representing striking Hollywood writers voted on Sunday to endorse a tentative contract deal with studios to end their bruising three-month-old labor clash.

The action came a day after the Writers Guild of America and studios finalized details of a settlement hinging on how much writers should be paid for work distributed over the Internet. The 10,500 film and TV writers who walked off the job on November 5 are expected to return to work this week, following a ratification vote by union rank-and-file set for Tuesday.

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Yep and here via Fox News,

Writers Guild of America Calls for Membership to Vote on New Deal, End Strike <Snip> "The Writers Guild of America moved swiftly Sunday toward a resolution of its three-month-old strike, with guild leaders deciding to recommend the contract to members and ask them to vote on a quick end to the walkout."

United Hollywood: FAQ On How The Voting Works - You can get to this from here or from the fox News article.

4. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I glad the two sides were able to sit down and work things out. Hopefully the members will all vote in favour of going back to work and will accept the new deal. Now all we have to hope for is that the actors are successful in their bid for a new contract.

5. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Here's another update it's from Time Writers Guild Reaches a Tentative Deal

And here's one from The Wall Street Journal Letter to Writers Guild Members. It's kinda long but I'll post the whole thing for those of you interested in reading this because you can't actually read the entire article online unless you have a WSJ Subscription.

Text of letter announcing tentative deal to members of the Writers Guild of America, dated Feb. 9.

To Our Fellow Members,

We have a tentative deal.

It is an agreement that protects a future in which the Internet becomes the primary means of both content creation and delivery. It creates formulas for revenue-based residuals in new media, provides access to deals and financial data to help us evaluate and enforce those formulas, and establishes the principle that, "When they get paid, we get paid."

Specific terms of the agreement are described in the summary on our website and will be further discussed at our Saturday membership meetings on both coasts. At those meetings we will also discuss how we will proceed regarding ratification of this agreement and lifting the restraining order that ends the strike.

Less than six months ago, the AMPTP wanted to enact profit-based residuals, defer all Internet compensation in favor of a study, forever eliminate "distributor's gross" valuations, and enforce 39 pages of rollbacks to compensation, pension and health benefits, reacquisition, and separated rights. Today, thanks to three months of physical resolve, determination, and perseverance, we have a contract that includes WGA jurisdiction and separated rights in new media, residuals for Internet reuse, enforcement and auditing tools, expansion of fair market value and distributor's gross language, improvements to other traditional elements of the MBA, and no rollbacks.

Over these three difficult months, we shut down production of nearly all scripted content in TV and film and had a serious impact on the business of our employers in ways they did not expect and were hard pressed to deflect. Nevertheless, an ongoing struggle against seven, multinational media conglomerates, no matter how successful, is exhausting, taking an enormous personal toll on our members and countless others. As such, we believe that continuing to strike now will not bring sufficient gains to outweigh the potential risks and that the time has come to accept this contract and settle the strike.

Much has been achieved, and while this agreement is neither perfect nor perhaps all that we deserve for the countless hours of hard work and sacrifice, our strike has been a success. We activated, engaged, and involved the membership of our Guilds with a solidarity that has never before occurred. We developed a captains system and a communications structure that used the Internet to build bonds within our membership and beyond. We earned the backing of other unions and their members worldwide, the respect of elected leaders and politicians throughout the nation, and the overwhelming support of fans and the general public. Our thanks to all of them, and to the staffs at both Guilds who have worked so long and patiently to help us all.

There is much yet to be done and we intend to use all the techniques and relationships we've developed in this strike to make it happen. We must support our brothers and sisters in SAG who, as their contract expires in less than five months, will be facing many of the same challenges we have just endured. We must further pursue new relationships we have established in Washington and in state and local governments so that we can maintain leverage against the consolidated multinational conglomerates with whom we bargain. We must be vigilant in monitoring the deals that are made in new media so that in the years ahead we can enforce and expand our contract. We must fight to get decent working conditions and benefits for writers of reality TV, animation, and any other genre in which writers do not have a WGA contract.

Most important, however, is to continue to use the new collective power we have generated for our collective benefit. More than ever, now and beyond, we are all in this together.

Best,

Michael Winship

President

Writers Guild of America, East

Patric M. Verrone

President

Writers Guild of America, West

6. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

**dancing** It is over!! Yipee!! Finally, so now we just have to wait a couple more months and we can get some new stuff again. :)

7. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

That's right, according to what I've read thus far it should take about 8 weeks, so new episodes will begin airing in April.

8. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Thank's WhosLaughingNowand Destiny for all the news and updates and all the links ;)so I guess Monday morning they'll all have their heads together. and start writing!!! and aren't they a happy bunch.. as we are ;)

9. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

It's almost over. They got to vote for contract and we will hear in 48 hours and said Strike is over and they will go back to work on Wednesday.

10. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Re: Writers Strike-Is it going to have an effect on TV shows

To me, this abso-freakin'-lutely, positively, undoubtedly, unquestionalbly, most certainly proves that both sides were just seeing who could be more stubborn and pig headed. They could've reached this agreement back in mid-December or in early January. Did they??? NO!!! They tortured us fans by dragging the strike out long as possible. If they had reached this agreement back in December or in early January, shows could already be back in production by now. Well, I hope this little strike of their's was worth every penny they get out of this deal they've reached. Especially considering how miserable they've made fans like me with all these mid-season re-runs. I don't mind summer re-runs. I expect re-runs in the summer but I don't like a summer's worth of re-runs in mid-season.
    Anyone needs me or wants me, I'll be over in the RANT thread...RANTING. :mad:

11. Destiny

True but like a lot of unions with say factories, they go in with this really long list of things they want, they talk about it, and then they settle for what they believe is the most important it might be half if that of what they asked for but its what was the most important at the time, knowing that they can later (a year or so) come back and say okay thats out of the way lets talk about this (a few other things) maybe get those... But the problem is you will always run into a few who believe that the deal wasn't right because they didn't get all of it and they believe they deserve all of it, when in reality that ninty-nine percent never going to happen. You go in with what you have and hope to come out with maybe half.

The problem here they wanted the reality and animation writers into this and they (those writers) said they didn't want to be in this deal, this is part of what broke it down in December. If you notice what they have compared to what they asked for, compared to what they were offered back in december, I agree it wasn't that much different.

Both sides were stubborn in this I believe and nothing will change my mind, but when it comes to blame I sit on the fence and point at both sides. Not to mention its a catch 22 really, if it weren't for the writers, the actors wouldn't have a scripted show for the fans to watch, BUT if it weren't for the fans who watch the shows, said shows could be canceled and there would still be no shows.

While I can understand wanting more for the work you do or rather what you are entitled to, the fact that instead of talking both sides went into total stubborn mode and then started the blame game and when they fineally got tired of it, and some people like George Clooney and other stars started saying *Smack* enough is enough knock it off, and alot of fans agreeing with them, they realized well maybe we should sit down again and see what happens.

As I have said in the last couple weeks two saying..
    "Stubborn is as stubborn does and it can be catchy"

And what I have in my signature..
    "Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up & permanently set."
    "How Much Success You Have, Is Decided By How Much You Believe."

Okay well that wasn't a rant persae but its just my opinion. :D

12. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Our ABC affiliated station out of Huntsville, Alabama has their midday news from 11 a.m. to Noon instead of Noon to 1 p.m. or Noon to 30 minutes past Noon like our CBS and NBC affiliated stations in Huntsville. Well, about 20 minutes ago in their Hollywood Minute report they reported the WGA members in New York and California will vote on the deal tomorrow and that the writers could be back to work Wednesday. So...maybe by this time Wednesday we can all start popping champagne corks and start celebrating the official end of the writers' strike.

This writers' strike update was brought to you by: Carolyn318.
    I, Carolyn318, now return you to the re-runs.

EDIT
    THIS JUST IN.
    I just got my TV Guide for February 18th - 24th in the mail. On page 8 is:
    Breaking News--> Top 10 Stories.
    Well, please permit me to give you a word for word, letter for letter, puncuation mark for puncuation mark quote of story #1.

13. csifreak16

csifreak16 Victim

i'm too tired to read it all.

is it over yet? <3

14. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

^Pretty much :)

15. Destiny