NY Crimelab Shifts

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Gaelen, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

It may be just me, and if it is, my apologies, but can someone please shed some light onto how shifts in CSI:NY works? They seem to work both night and day and at all hours, unlike the other two shows where there's a set shift time (I'm assuming).

Do their shifts change on a daily basis or is there a set range? I'm guessing it's the swing shift - I just don't know what that is. :eek:

Any info would be great, thanks. :)

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

You know, that's a really good question and one I don't know the answer to. I'm guessing you're right: they're probably on the swing shift (afternoon-evening). In "Raising Shane" I think Danny said something about Hawkes taking on night shift hours or something like that. But then, in "Rush" and "Sleight out of Hand" it's clear Danny's been working multiple shifts. So I'm not clear how it works.

3. Khanada

Khanada CSI Level Two

That is a really good question because some of them (Stella comes to mind) have been on-call also. They may get to select shifts as long as it's covered and take call for overload. I have to wonder if they generally work by district and cover other areas if the other area is busy.

Call pay is a wonderful thing!

4. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

It's just something I've always wondered since both Vegas and Miami have a set time they work, sort of anyway - night shift and day shift respectively and they're shown making fun of the CSIs in the other shifts.

But then in NY, Mac seems to be at the office 24-7 except when he's either kicked out or has something else to do. In Snow Day, Lindsay was supposed to start shift at 9am and Danny sometime later.

You know, apart from Snow Day, we've never actually seen the team where someone happened to not be working - which is weird don't you think? I hardly think that they all coordinate their shifts together all the time (but then again, I guess that's because we're watching a TV show).

Maybe they do get to select shifts after all. *shrugs* It would explain why they seem to work at all hours of the day.

5. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I've always wondered this because LV its specific they work the night shift and rolls into the day.
    but NY they seem do work all the shifts and be on call. i did have somewhere what they were but lost the details.

6. hairy0haggis

hairy0haggis Hit and Run

Thanks for the question Gaelen . It's a cracker of one and I can't work out why no one asked it before... low brain IQ's I suppose :lol:*DUCKS SHARP OBJECTS* Hey, I was talking about ME you guys :rolleyes:

Anyway, I guess this would be a class question to ask one of the lads on the next web chat.

You made a good point though Gaelen maybe it's all arse about face because it's TV land. Still, I suspect this one's going to hurt my brain for a while. :confused:

7. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

^Yup, we all gots low IQ's. :lol: It's just one of those things you never realise until someone points it out and you sit there for ages trying to figure it out - only to get bored and run off for an ice cream cone instead. :p

Like Dawni said, LV has a specific shift, and so does Miami. But NY seems to be everywhere.

From Wikipedia: The swing shift, also known as "second shift", is scheduled during the afternoon and evening, such as 4 p.m. to midnight or 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the United States.

So NY can't operate solely on the swing shift since we've seen them work mornings and afternoons before.

And another thing I noticed was that the CSIs rarely get off work unless they catch the guy first - no matter how long it takes. Is that usual?

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I'm guessing they didn't specify the shift so that they didn't have to stick to it. :p I've seen Vegas fans comment when the characters work during the day--and rightly so. So maybe they just wanted to be able to have the characters working whenever they felt like setting the scenes.

I don't think they've ever mentioned another set of CSIs either--I mean, Mac is in charge, but is there another guy/girl in charge at a different time? Or are our CSIs the only ones that work there? That's unrealistic, but I don't think they've ever handed a case off to another team, have they? They just keep one specific character from working a case they have a personal connection with (although not always :rolleyes:)...

I kind of look at it as them working various shifts (sometimes two or three in a row--poor Danny *pet pet*) and whatnot, and we only see them when they're working together (although who knows if there are other CSIs to work with)...

9. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I've always thought the LV and Miami shifts were a little strange to be honest. Maybe it's because I assumed that people's shifts usually change and that you might work a shift for, like, 4 days, and then have a day off and start on another shift (at least that's how it works in the UK for people working in the Fire Service etc.) So I always assumed that sort of pattern may be normal. Meh, I don't know. Anyway, I've just watched 'Risk' (where Danny spots a dead guy on the subway tracks), and he's worked an 18 hour shift apparently. And at the end he speaks to Mac on the phone and says he's working '4 to 12' the next day. So I think they obviously work some sort of shift system, even if it's not clear what it is.

Gaelen, I think that they do get off work, but it's more likely that we just don't see it. They certainly seem to change their clothes, suggesting they have been home perhaps. And it might explain why sometimes the team members are missing for a significant length of time during an episode. (OK, that's just wishful thinking, but you never know). :lol: And of course, one other explanation is simply that they are workaholics. Mac doesn't take vacations and will always work, so the rest of the team follow their leader... :rolleyes: I think some of them (Danny) definitely need a break, he looks tired.

Mac refers to the lab at least once as 'my lab', so I assumed he was the Head of that department, so to speak. Therefore he's in charge of all of them and wouldn't hand over to anyone else. And the rest of the team seem to work a case from start to finish, sometimes more than one case, and I always assumed if there was another crime scene then either they would be working that in parallel or some other (unseen) CSI's would work it, rather than anyone handing cases over.

Oh, and whenever someone in the team isn't working...they usually end up finding a body, being involved in a crime scene etc... They can't help themselves, trouble just follows them. :lol:

10. hairy0haggis

hairy0haggis Hit and Run

That's too true. When was the last time we saw one of them socialize and not get in to some sort of trouble? :rolleyes: Jez, even Flack nearly got caught with his trousers down with Ditzy Devon.... mmmmm, Flack with his trousers down *DROOL DROOL*! :devil:

11. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I remember someone saying something about a Night Shift and handing it over to them but then again I might have been dreaming.

I kinda always assumed they were Day and then there was a Night Shift... but the amount of night crimes they go to it can't work that way.

There is a few episodes when they mention shifts but if i'm right its different each time so confused me more.

I remember finding this when i was trying to attempt a fic.. might have found it on here but it was a while ago so I can't remember. (Just found it in a word document with one of fics)

It makes sense... just on call must be rota or something.

12. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

This was a bit interesting and might explain some of the crazy shifts they have since it mentions they apply if you're in a special unit.

NYPD shifts
    and
    more

That site has a lot of info on it found here .

13. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

^Ahh, thanks for the into 1CSIMfan. I guess the confusion is actually justified because it really is confusing. Concept's a bit strange for those of use who's never done shift work before in their lives.

That's true - since they don't have a set shift, the writers are basically free to do any case they like regarding time whilst Miami and Vegas are somewhat bound to their respective shifts (somewhat). I guess that's nothing but easier for creativity flow huh...

Was another shift mentioned in All Access? I really don't remember and I'm too tired to go digging for my DVDs. It may just be my imagination though... If not, I don't think they've ever mentioned another set of CSIs. In 'Here's to You Mrs. Azrael', who took over the case when the team wasn't allowed to process Hawkes' things? I don't think it was another set of CSIs, though I can't remember since I don't have S3.

They probably do work with other people too since it's kind of unrealistic to think they are the only CSIs in the NYPD. We probably do only see them when they're together.

I don't think changing clothes necessarily means they went home. We've seen Danny change in the locker room before and they probably do keep spare sets of clothes at work in case of dump jobs or w/e.

But it seems when one is missing, they always turn up later with a case in their hands so they probably were at the lab, sitting in the breakroom drinking tea. :lol: Mac is a serious workaholic. Does he even have a home in the first place? He seems to ALWAYS be in the lab, NEVER absent for more than one scene and is NEVER tired looking (aside from the 333 - lack of sleep period). Insane.

Hmm, last I remember was Danny and Flack in the bar. Trouble didn't really follow them... The team went to a bar in Heroes and that's probably all the socializing scenes we've ever seem them in. (I don't remember a thing from S1).

Trouble follows them everywhere...

I thought the same thing, and I'm pretty sure that if at all said, it was in All Access sometime when they're investigating what happened to Stella. *shrugs* Could be wrong...

14. Cherry_Cahill78

Cherry_Cahill78 Victim

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet. It has nothing to do with shifts. But in season 3 Stella had a day off. But it was toward the very beginning of the episode. Stella is in a bar and Mac comes in and talks to her. If you happen to have season 3 you should watch it first with no commentary then with the commentary. Eddie does some of the commentary. It is hilarious. It's Eddie and Pam Veasay. I sincerely apologize if I spelled her name wrong. Eddie is too funny. Oh I'm sorry the episode was called "Consequences". :cool::):devil:

15. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they all get scheduled days off if that was what you were referring to.:confused:

Although it seems they get called out a lot on their days off.:rolleyes: