Grade 'Playing With Matches'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Feb 6, 2008.

1. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

Wow. After reading all the reviews, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought this episode blew. I watched a half hour of it, was bored, so I rolled over and fell asleep. Yes, that is what I thought of this episode. :lol: Snoozefest.

2. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I have to say when it started I was like ooh interesting and for first liek 10min it was really good the scene with mac/danny/sid in autopsy and Flacks comment about the toilet.

But it kind of dragged, its the typical filler for this time of season usually I feel, wasn't a great way to end you final episode you could kind of tell the writers weren't involved. I would have tbh waiting till they came back and finished it off, probably only needed a few tweeks and would have been good.

Kendel drove me mad, its more her voice which doesn't suit her i kind of expect something different. She irritates me like Peyton did would have definately prefered it if Adam was with Danny and Lindsay and not here maybe it would have worked better.

Angell kicking over the trashcan was clever and quick actually made me laugh when they asked why he ran, just gave them a reason to take him in.

Stella's jumper was also wierd, suppose it was because i'm used to seeing her in lower.

I'm sad that is the last ep but I don't know part of me feels it was meant as a filler if it was a complete season.

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I didn't go into this episode with any expectations, so I can't say I was disappointed. But it wasn't a great episode. At all. It was actually fairly boring, and I ended up not paying that much attention to it. Nice to see Danny has fully recovered from the entire ordeal of the last few episodes :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I gave it a C-. It got bonus points for Danny in a black t-shirt, and for showcasing luge (my cousin was on the last olympic luge team, so I'm a big fan)

4. ericisacutie

ericisacutie Lab Technician

I give it an A+! I know a lot of people are saying it was just a normal episode, but I thought it was really good. The biggest thing is that Danny smiled for the first time in a long time. And it was as cute as ever. And then all of his BOOMS!! YAY!!!

Also it was the first case Danny and Lindsay has worked on together in a while, they make a great team.

I also thought it was a really good scene with Mac and Stella when Stella said more or less that she wasn't trying to change his theory.. awwwww, so sweet when he said he knew.

Flack was beautiful of course, all the greys are really starting to come out on his head though, but that for sure doesn't take away from his apparence.

And then at the very beginning, "Houston We Have A Problem!"

PRICELESS!!!

I was quite pleased, I just hope we get more new episodes. :)

5. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Wow, what an awful episode. It was so awful that it and "All in the Family" should have switched places. "Family" would've been a strong ending or hiatus episode; "Matches" was all rank sulfur and no warm, glowing flame.

Normally, I'd rail that the victims were vestigial, casualties of the slipshod character development, but there wasn't any character development. In fact, there wasn't anything. Just a bunch of evidence analysis that felt like a clip show. The performances were leaden, and Hawkes and Flack were barely there. Of Adam there was no sign except a mention by Messer.

We were, however, treated to Kendall in copious amounts. Lucky us. She's like Adam, except she's boring and utterly lacking in skill or charisma. It was absolutely unnecessary for her to command so much screen time, especially at the expense of better, more interesting characters. One can only hope that her short attention span compels her to another job, and soon.

Dear Mac,

You can be wrong. Your evidence can be wrongly interpreted or subject to the limitations of technology, as proven in the Michael Clarke Duncan case in S1. So STFU and stop snapping at Stella for asking the questions you would and have asked if the situation were reversed.

Stupid, empty cases with no resonance whatsoever and a waste of an hour when I could've been sleeping.

F

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Well, I have a theory about her secret succubus nature, but I'll refrain from elaborating. Suffice it to say: she's in an episode, Adam is missing from the next two; she's in an episode, Adam is missing from the next one; she's in this episode and Adam is nowhere to be found. Coincidence? I think not.

:p :lol:

All that chasing, though--why run when you can just kick a trash can and get the same effect? :p

7. flackfan_82

flackfan_82 Witness

welcome back Fay ;)...

I'm not gonna repeat what's been said, but yeah...blah...blah blah!...Not the best epi they could have ended on...hurry up and get back at it writers!!!

Kendell actually didn't annoy me too much. I am starting to get that she's supposed to come across snobby...it works for her,...I bought the "I bore easily" line...it made sense - watch out Adam! Speaking of...chained up in her basement or something? He deserves three quarters of her screen time at least...missed him this epi.

Flack and Mac perusing the Felonydate.com site - priceless! :lol: Yeah - Flack hun, you don't need to resort to online dating to find a girl...I'm sure it's not a problem.

Mac really irritated me this epi - the look he gave Stella when she questioned his results was dripping with condescension and conceit - I wanted to smack it right off of his face - and that look just caused STella to become this little submissive pushover...WTF???? :mad:...Stella is a strong character, and they just cut her off at the knees there - not fair to her at all! :mad:

I never bought that the girl from the port o potty was attacked - the wounds looked self-inflicted and it just didn't make sense that someone could follow her in, attack her, and get out, leaving her locked inside - next time, something more believable please. :rolleyes: The luge accident, seemed more believable but equally obvious, however, I don't believe that the rain would have kicked up THAT much fuel off the road, wouldn't there have been more 'human torches'? with the racing going on???

And finally, dear Det. Angell - she should teach a class on apprehending a perp without getting her coat dirty...I loved it and clearly she's been spending time with Flack because of the "You luge, you lose" line :lol:. It's not always about the chase, sometimes you gotta just outsmart the perp - and it just looks a little more graceful - she pulled it off great - leave the chasing to SuperFlack! and Danny :lol:

8. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Well, this episode sucked. Please bring the writers back. I gave it a C- and only because Flack's joke about the dishwasher/washing machine made me LOL.

Danny in that long coat was not exactly appealing either. For the love of god, they were ALL wearing long coats, not just Danny and Lindsay. It's NYC and it's winter...it must be cold. How warm can those short leather jackets of Danny's be anyway? :rolleyes:

I'm very disappointed to see they've completely forgotten about episode 13. Let's see...Danny doesn't show up for work, Lindsay covers for him AND lies, Flack helps Danny all day and then this week, all is well? I don't think so. I thought Danny looked tired though. Hopefully that's a sign that he's still struggling with Ruben's death.

After watching this episode along with the other thirteen episodes this season, I'm convinced there's nothing going on with Danny and Lindsay. I really don't care what AZ said. If I can't see it on tv, then it's not canon to me. :p I don't think there's been anything between them since that one incident in Snow Day. I think the brush off scene was dropped in episode 13 because it wasn't needed. Why would you brush off somebody you're not even with?

Kendall seems useless. What exactly did she do that Adam couldn't have done? He IS a regular cast member now. USE HIM. We don't need Kendall. *or Lindsay for that matter*

Thank God for Danny's two BOOM's and for Flack. It's always a pleasure to see Flack onscreen. He's NEVER a disappointment.

Sorry to sound so blunt but...who cares? :confused: It only makes him look that much better.

9. ericisacutie

ericisacutie Lab Technician

It doesn't matter, I was just making a statement, it doesn't matter at all. I think he looks as good as ever now, and I love his hair. ;)

10. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

C+

I think if there'd been more character stuff, it could have saved this one. The cases were nothing to write home about, but it's funny how a character's personal stake in a case or even a few great lines can save it. I guess Mac had a personal stake in his case, but the foregone conclusion that "YES! Seth is guilty! Mac is right! Mac is always right!" kind of ruined that one for me. It was so by the book. Why not a little doubt like in "The Closer"? That makes things more interesting. It would have been the perfect opportunity for some friction between Mac and Stella as well, if she had her doubts and he stuck to his guns. So many different ways that could have been played.

Flack's lines were great as always. He's the funniest, cleverest character on the show, and I love hearing what comes out of his mouth. The jokes about the public potty and felonydate.com? Awesome. :D

I think it wouldn't have hurt to have had a line about Ruben in the episode, or some reference to what happened with Rikki. I think it's very significant that Danny and Lindsay have basically not interacted at all over it--kinda shows that their relationship isn't all that deep. It was also a wise choice by the writers--I think they've caught on that Anna + angst = bad combo.

I can't really begrudge the writers for letting the Ruben storyline go for now (or forever)--it was a three episode arc, which in CSI show time is an eon. It gave Carmine some great stuff to work with and he turned in some amazing performances. The show must go on, as they say.

I agree with the people that have said putting Bess Wohl and Anna in scenes together just magnified the badness. :lol: Wohl is as woefully miscast as Anna is; I'm not convinced she's as poor an actress as Anna, but she doesn't fit as a lab tech at all. Did I buy her as a luge fan for a second? Please, no. Adam should have delivered those lines.

The cases themselves were okay, but it was a little too much coincidence for one episode.

11. Flacknatic

Flacknatic Hit and Run

Well I guess the general census is that Wohl/Kendall isn't really liked. So maybe its time to start the WHY KENDALL MUST GO thread.

12. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

Perhaps it was supposed to be Adam but he was unavailable for filming....got sick or summat so they called her in. Adam would have been a more believeable Street Luge fan, I can even picture him having a go.

Anyway, one word can describe this episode:

MEH!!!

13. Kam

Kam Hit and Run

I dozed off after I realized that that was a bathroom.

I actually liked the luge racer one where it was a complete accident, no wrong was done.

Flack as usual cracked me up, and Danny's faces gave me giggles. Expecially when their with Sid.

So in conclusion. Unless Flack was on the screen or it had to do with the luge business I was dozing and telling myself not to change the channel.

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Once she gets foisted on us in the opening credits like some other unappealing, poorly-acted character I can think of, there will be a "Why Kendall Must Go" thread. Until then, we can hope she'll just fade away kind of like Zach, Zao and Pino did (who were all better characters than she is).

15. KRAD

KRAD Dead on Arrival

Street luge is a Southern California phenomenon. It would never, under any circumstances, happen in midtown Manhattan. There is no street anything even remotely like "the graveyard" anywhere in midtown. That storyline maybe could've worked uptown or in one of the outer boroughs. No way in midtown, especially since there isn't a single street anywhere in lower Manhattan that's ever that empty.

Also, that fire truck at the beginning was on its way to a fire. Yet it was still parked at the spot where the luge guy hit it. Who dealt with the fire they were being called for?

Having said that, the episode had Angell, so it was automatically cool, and having Gary Sinise (who was in Apollo 13) say, "Houston, we have a problem" was a lot funnier than the usual CSI end-of-teaser one-liner....