What the Writers' Strike Means to CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Lessien_Tinuviel

Lessien_Tinuviel Police Officer

WOOT! That is such good news. I am so ready for the strike to be over. :D I'm glad that both sides are finally close to agreeing on something.

2. Thoughtless4u

Thoughtless4u Dead on Arrival

I was searching the internet for updates about the strike and now I'm so glad I found this topic here! I really hope the most important TV shows, i.e. CSI:NY :D, continue to shoot so we'll have some more new episodes coming up. They wouldn't let us suffer till september, right? Right? *looks scared*

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

More good news from Ausiello. Apparently the cast and crew of Grey's and Desperate Housewives have been told they'll be going back to work in March and will be shooting 4-5 more eps to air in April/May. I imagine that will be true of the CSI shows as well if an agreement is reached as expected this week...

4. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

That's good, that would mean about 18-19 episodes total for CSI: NY, that only about 5 eps short of an entire season. So lets all hope that a deal is reached this week and everyone can get back to work and give us back or CSI

5. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

That's really great. Despite that little voice in my head that keeps telling me not to get my hopes up I'm getting really excited aftrer reading all these articles... :D

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

It would be great to get a few more episodes, this sounds really positive. :D I really hope that this happens for the CSI franchise if an agreement is reached this week. It'd be great for the fans, all of those involved in the production and the entire industry in general! It's been a while now since many of these people will have worked, and I'm sure many of them are itching to get back to work. :)

Hopefully it will also give NY the opportunity to conclude some storylines this season, including the Second Life one and hopefully not all continuity with the characters will be lost, which I fear if we have to wait until September for new episodes then some things will be forgotten. ;)

7. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Here is an article/interview with CSI:NY producer Geoffrey Hemwall in a paper in Monroe County, MI, by Michelle Swartz.

He mentions the strike, so I thought I'd post the link here.

"Taking a TV timeout"

8. althea

althea Lab Technician

Thanks for the article PA. I've snagged this from the article -

It would take no time to get back to work," he said. "The writers may not have their stories on paper, but they've been thinking about them while on strike. They're ready to get back to work, and within a couple weeks after the strike is over, we should be working again."

That is the best news by far I was actually worried about how long it would take for writers to come up with new stories but seemingly they've been mulling it over during the strike. Now if the strike could just end *fingers & toes crossed*

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Here's another article from MSNBC.com by Lynn Elber of AP:

"Striking writers to be briefed on talks"

I think "cautious" is the key word when talking about "cautious optimism." Here's a paragraph from the article:

Let's hope Saturday brings good news.

10. stormymac

stormymac Hit and Run

Come on PA , if there is anything we learned from CoTP and PWM, it's that "cautious optimism" means everything will come out perfect. There will be no after effects from what happened, instead it will be like the strike never occurred. :rolleyes:

11. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Grey skies are gonna clear up? Another bit of hopeful news.

Check out this article! --> WGA, studios frame a deal: Progress on Internet compensation

some bits from the article:
    "We are still in talks and do not yet have a contract," the guild presidents said. "When and if a tentative agreement is reached, the first thing we will do is alert our membership with an e-mail message. Until then, please disregard rumors about either the existence of an agreement or its terms."

"... despite those words of caution, a sense of optimism spread through Hollywood over the weekend -- and not a moment too soon for those hoping to salvage a star-studded Academy Awards telecast on Feb. 24. If no deal is reached by then, the WGA is expected to picket the Oscars, and that would keep actors and other celebrities away from the Kodak Theatre in droves.

Well-placed sources touted broad progress being marked in key areas, including compensation for content streamed over the Internet. Although the DGA recently reached a tentative new contract marking historic gains in new-media compensation, the writers hinted they would press for sweeter terms."

By Carl DiOrio
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Feb 2, 2008

12. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Deal Has Been Reached to End Writers' Strike: Eisner

A deal has been struck between the major media companies and the Writers Guild of America to end the writers' strike, former Walt Disney chief executive Michael Eisner revealed on CNBC.

"It's over," Eisner said. "They made the deal, they shook hands on the deal. It's going on Saturday to the writers in general."

Eisner, speaking live on CNBC's "Fast Money," seemed to hesitate initially about whether it was possible that the writers could still reject the agreement, but finally suggested the deal's acceptance was inevitable.

"A deal has been made, and they'll be back to work very soon," Eisner said, adding, "I know a deal's been made. I know it's over."

Eisner did not elaborate on terms of the agreement. He said he expects most of the media companies affected by the strike to have "small" write-downs as a result of the deal. Eisner said the deal was struck last Friday.

As a result of studio cutbacks, however, many of the writers who went on strike are unlikely to return to the same big-money contracts they'd had as individuals with the studios, Eisner said.

Shares of Walt Disney and CBS were both up in extended electronic trading Thursday.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

AND
    After the Strike: When Your Favorites Will Return!

CSI: NY
    Expected to shoot 4 to 7 new episodes to air in April/May.

Thanks to Destiny for the 2nd link! :D :D :D

13. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

AWESOMENESS. :D :D :D

Thank you for the great news!

Well, well. I guess CSI:NY still has a swift chance to redeem itself after this week's craptastic episode. Although ... knowing their reputation now for utter lack of continuity and characterization most of the time, I doubt we'll be getting closure on any of the hanging plots any time soon. :rolleyes:

Still, DEAL HAS BEEN MADE! TV addicts everywhere must be rejoicing. :p

14. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

We should all keep in mind that none of that is final and the writers could in fact reject the deal(even though they don't think they will). But if that's the case, I'll fix it. Even if I have to make em' hug it out :p

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

YAY!!!! :D :D :D

I doubt Eisner would be talking if there wasn't genuine good news. Though I guess this could be a tactic to put more pressure on the writers to accept the terms. We'll see--but fingers crossed this strike is OVER next week!!! :D :D :D