Around the weird:news of the bizarre

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Desertwind, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

SECOND MAN FINDS PEARL IN HIS SEAFOOD

Washington Borough, N.J.:: Two weeks after a Florida man found a pearl in his seafood, it happened again, this time to a New Jersey man who was eating fried oysters. Mike McHenry, 60, thought he had chomped down on a piece of shell, when much to his surprise, instead spit out a pearl the size of a pea. Last month, Gerorge Brock of Royal Palm Beach, FL. found a rare iridescent purple pearl in his plate of clams. While Brock's pearl may be worth thousands, it appears McHenry isn't so lucky. Greg Fliegauf Jewelers thinks the pearl isn't worth mcuh, because it was mishashapend and discolored! [bummer]

LVRJ

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

If I were so lucky to bite down on a pearl, it would probably break a tooth and the dental bill would be more expensive than the pearl.

3. Desertwind

:lol: me too Dynamo A guy next to me the other day won $2,000 on a slot machine, and I won 0 :( and I'm part Irish, but NO luck here!

REPORTED FLYING OBJECT THE TALK OF THIS TOWN

Stephenville, Texas.. In this farming community where nightfall usually brings clear, starry skies, residents are abuzz over reported sightings of what many believe is a UFO. Several people, including a pilot, a country constable and business owner..insist they have seen a large silent object with a bright lights, flying low and fast :eek:. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it. "People wonder what in the world it is, because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times" said Steve Allen, a freight company owner and pilot who said the object he saw last week was a mile long and half a mile wide. "It was positively absoutely nothing from these parts" While federal officials insist there's a logicial explanation [they always say that] locals swear that it was larger, and quieter, faster and lower to the ground to be an airplane! OOOO AHHH :eek: their out there!!!

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

4. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

ooh that is werid!! And kinder of freaky!

5. Desertwind

6-YEAR OLD LEFT BEHIND AT HIGHWAY REST STOP

Sacramento, CA... A 6-year old boy with 13 brothers and sisters is back with his family, after being left behind at a freeway rest-stop. A Placer County sheriff's spokesman said the boy's parents did not report him missing for about 4 hours, after a motorist fond him alone on Saturday afternoon. Sheriff's Lt. Jeffery Ausnow said the boy was left at an Interstate 8 rest stop near Colfax. The boys father said he thought the boy had been asleep in their van! [NICE] :( have some more kids!

LVRJ

6. Dynamo1

Some good news, some bad news, but all Weird news...

Australians Jailed in Bungled Burglary
    Jan 22, 1:09 AM (ET)

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Two Australian robbers were sentenced Tuesday for their April Fools Day heist at the Cuckoo Restaurant, where they thought they were hauling away a big sack of cash that turned out to be bread rolls.

Benjamin Jorgensen, 38, and his accomplice Donna Hayes, 36, were sentenced in Victorian County Court after pleading guilty to robbing the restaurant in the southern Australian city of Melbourne on April 1 last year.

During the holdup, Jorgensen grabbed what he believed was a bag with the Cuckoo's cash earnings of about $26,000, but later found it was full of bread rolls, the court heard.

He also fired his gun accidentally in the caper, shooting Hayes in the buttocks.

-=-=-=-=-

Candidate: Elect Me and I Won't Serve
    Jan 22, 4:10 PM (ET)

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A candidate for Kerr County treasurer is making a single campaign promise: Elect me and I won't serve. Ed Hamilton, 77, is challenging incumbent Treasurer Mindy Williams for the Republican nomination during the March 4 election. No Democrats are seeking the office.

He said the job is redundant and costing the county money it doesn't need to spend. The duties should be assigned to another county office, Hamilton said.

"I don't plan to do the job," he said. "I won't accept a paycheck."

-=-=-=-=-

Man Using Torch Sets His House on Fire
    Jan 22, 4:31 PM (ET)

LIMA, Ohio (AP) - A man using a propane torch to thaw a frozen water pipe inadvertently set fire to his house Monday, authorities said. John Miller Sr. was working with the propane torch in a crawl space when a wall caught fire, filling the house with smoke, said Shawnee Township Fire Chief Tim Mosher.

Miller, who managed to flee the home before firefighters arrived, said the flame of the propane torch had been on the water pipe for only a few minutes.

"I've done it a hundred times and never had a problem," Miller said.

-=-=-=-=-

Maine Woman, 87, Gets a Sweet Response
    Jan 22, 4:08 PM (ET)

JONESPORT, Maine (AP) - When Elizabeth Emerson confessed to a newspaper that her only real indulgence has been an occasional chocolate bar during her 87 years, she wasn't prepared for the sweet response that followed.

The 87-year-old Emerson was featured in a New York Times story about the impact of soaring fuel prices, generating letters from across the country, some with bars of chocolate inside.

She hit the jackpot in mid-December with an assortment from Hershey Co. (HSY) that was accompanied by a personal note.

-=-=-=-=-

Cash Flies During SoCal Police Chase
    Jan 22, 5:15 PM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Handfuls of cash were hurled into the streets as police chased suspects in a bank robbery Tuesday.

One person was arrested after a pursuit through two counties at speeds topping 100 mph, Los Angeles police said.

Costa Mesa police Sgt. Bryan Glass said three masked gunmen held up a Downey Savings branch, fled in a getaway car and then switched to another vehicle.

-=-=-=-=-

This Stinks! Toilet Takes Center Stage
    Jan 21, 2:36 PM (ET)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - This charity concert might stink no matter how well its singers perform.

Organizers at a Charlotte nightclub said they will place a portable toilet on stage for performers during a Wednesday concert in support of a local food pantry.

WSOC-FM program director D.J. Stout said the singers will perform at the same time. He said he didn't want any of them sneaking off stage while the others perform, so if anyone has to go to the bathroom, the Porta-Jon will be right there.

7. Desertwind

OMG< those were so BIZZARE, the porta potty..on stage EWWWW :confused:

TIPSY DRIVER RIDES LAWN MOWER TO THE LIQUOR STORE

Adrian, Mich....A man was charged with druken-driving after going through two bottles of wine, cutting through a snowstorm on his lawnmower and riding down the center of the street to get to a local liquor store to buy more boos :eek: Polkice found Frank Kozumplik, 49, homeward bound on a John Deere tractor on Saturday night, toting 4 bottles of wine in a paper bag [don't want to run out], officials said. He tole officers that his wife had taken the car to work and the mower was the only way he could reach the store, about 2 miles from his home. His blood alcohol level was 2-1/2 times Michigan's legal limit of 0.08 percent, police told WLEN-FM radio. They arrested him and confiscated the mower. Kozumplik declined to comment Monday night [did he get to keep the wine?] FOOL :rolleyes:

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

8. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

This one is causing a big impact here:

Driver who killed teen sues for damage
    By HAROLD HECKLE Associated Press Writer

MADRID, Spain—A speeding motorist who killed a teenage cyclist is suing the boy’s parents over damage to his luxury car, the government says.Enaitz Iriondo, 17, died instantly in August 2004 when businessman Tomas Delgado’s Audi A8 crashed into him at 100 mph near Haro in northern Spain, an Interior Ministry traffic report said. The speed limit was 55 mph.

Iriondo was not wearing reflective clothing or a helmet, the ministry report said. As the sun had set when he crossed the path of Delgado’s car from a side road, a regional court found both parties at fault and closed the case, the report said.

Delgado, whose insurance company paid Iriondo’s parents $48,500 in compensation for their son’s life, filed a suit in late 2006 to recover $29,400 in damages to his car and car rental costs, the ministry traffic report said.

“It’s the only way I have to claim my money back,” Delgado was quoted as saying by the newspaper El Pais, which first reported the story on Friday. El Pais said a ruling was expected next week.

Iriondo’s parents were shocked.

“It’s the final straw, a stab in the back,” Iriondo’s mother, Rosa Trinidad said, according to El Pais. “Before the lawsuit we thought the poor guy would find it hard to live the rest of his life with the thought of having caused our son’s death.

The European Union’s statistics office says Spain recorded 113 traffic fatalities per million inhabitants in 2004. The average for the 25-nation bloc was 95. In 2006, 3,016 people died on Spain’s roads.

--

This morning Delgado retired his charges at the beggining of the trial because of the mediatic pressure. Now the prosecutor is reopening the case and he may go to prision because the evidence says he was driving at 171 km/h in a place regulated only to 90. He also might have been driving under influence of alcohol.

9. mitzi

mitzi Prime Suspect

Woman Cooks Baby in Microwave

A 27-year-old mum admitted cooking her baby in a microwave oven, a court has heard.

Mum denies murdering baby in kitchenChina Arnold wrapped her baby Paris in a blanket, put her in the oven and she "fit right in".

It is alleged she was drunk.

Arnold, of Dayton, Ohio, denies the aggravated murder of her month-old baby daughter Paris Talley in August 2005.

The jury of nine men and three women at Montgomery County Common Pleas court saw Arnold show little emotion during the opening statement by the prosecution.

Daniel Brandt, the Montgomery County prosecutor, said Arnold told US authorities: "I killed my baby."

"'I killed my baby'. Those are the words of the defendant," Mr Brandt said.

"'I wrapped her up. I put her in the microwave. I turned the microwave on and I went outside. She fit right in'."

John Paul Rion, defending Arnold, said the evidence would show Arnold did not purposely take the life of her baby.

Coroner's officials have said the baby suffered high-heat internal injuries and had no external burns.

They have ruled out scalding water, open flame or other possible causes of death that could have damaged the skin.

Mr Rion said that other people had access to the baby, that Arnold was intoxicated to the point of blacking out when the child died and that people questioned about the case had changed their stories.

He also raised questions about the reliability of the science when it comes to determining the effect of microwaves on humans.

Arnold faces the death sentence if convicted."

It's just crazy the things that people do. Can't comprehend at all how you could do that to something so small and precious..

10. Desertwind

She should be toasted in a big oven, see how it feels, crazy witch :mad:

FIVE LEGGED FELINE WILL UNDERGO SURGERY

Cats may have 9 lives, but one uique feline has 5 legs, for now. The cat named Babygirl, will undergo surgery to remove the extra leg and another leg that's crippled. The surgery is expected t leave the cat with 3 legs, but will improve her quality of life, according to the Washington Area Humane Society, where the cat will live, until; a home can be found for her.A woman brought the kitty to the shlelter on Jan.19. The woman had first seen the stray animal as a kitten about a year ago. someone apparently dumped her on a side road, where the woman found her and brought her to the shelter!

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

11. Desertwind

RESIDENTS CELEBRATE "DAY WITHOUT CARS"

Bogota, Columbia
    Residents of Columbia's capital could breathe a little easier on Thursday as the city celebrated "a day without cars" More than a millions privated cars and trucks were kept off the streets from 6:30 am to 7:30 pm. In Bogota the slogan was "Clean Air Day" according to the mayor's office, which organized the initative. It was the 8th year the city has held this event. Commuters were encouraged to walk, ride a bike or take public transportation to work. Vehicles caught breaking the one-day ban rished a $118 fine. Some 8,000 buses and taxis were allowed on the streets, however. Bogota's air has grown worse in recent years, as have the traffic jams! Harsh :eek:

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

12. Dynamo1

v v v This one sounds like the story from the CSI pilot episode... v v v

Flirty Women Victimize Well-Dressed Men
    Feb 8, 4:14 PM (ET)

DALLAS (AP) - Well-dressed men at posh Dallas hotels and bars are being targeted by a ring of flirtatious women who may be drugging them before swiping their watches and other expensive items, police said.

One man was hurt after possibly being beaten with a high-heeled shoe, police said. Another lost his wallet while in his car with his pants around his ankles.

About a half-dozen men have reported falling victim to the scheme, Dallas police detective Mark Jenkins said. Many were business travelers, and Jenkins suspects there are others too embarrassed to file police reports.

-=-=-=-=-

v v v I have an alibi. v v v

Well, He Was Wearing a Garter and Boots
    Feb 8, 5:42 PM (ET)

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office is looking for a man with a mustache who is pulling in front of female drivers and then jumping out of his vehicle while wearing women's underwear, a garter belt and black high-heel boots.

Since last spring, there have been six reports about the cross-dressing motorist. The most recent incident was last Sunday. The episodes have occurred in the Standish-Buxton area.

-=-=-=-=-

Body Lay in UK Apartment for 8 Years
    Feb 8, 4:13 PM (ET)

LONDON (AP) - Workers responding to neighbors' complaints of a bad smell coming from an apartment in western England discovered a body that lay decomposing on a couch for years while another resident lived there, officials said Friday.

The British Broadcasting Corp. reported that neighbors of the Bristol, England apartment had been complaining for years about the stench and cleaning workers found the body. Neighbor Michael Stone told the BBC he assumed the tenant suffered from poor hygiene and even offered him air fresheners.

A spokesman for Bristol City Council said the body was thought to have been in the apartment for at least eight years.

The identity of the man, who was thought to be in his 70s when he died, has not been released.

Police arrested the apartment's tenant after the body was found Jan. 30, but concluded the death was not suspicious. The occupant, also in his 70s, apparently failed to report the death because he suffers from mental health problems.

-=-=-=-=-

You Mean I Wasn't Supposed to Get 20's?
    Feb 8, 7:07 PM (ET)

VALPARAISO, Ind. (AP) - An employee of a Valparaiso Wal-Mart has been charged with theft for repeatedly making purchases to get change from a self-service cash register that was dispensing $20 bills instead of $1 bills.

Police say 24-year-old Christopher Sheets made 10 purchases in 4 1/2 hours Tuesday morning and got about $600.

A store security official said $20 and $1 bills were loaded in the wrong slots of the self-service register. The mistake wasn't noticed until a customer complained that the machine gave a $1 bill in change instead of a 20.

-=-=-=-=-

Labrador Survives Six Story Garage Leap
    Feb 8, 9:40 PM (ET)

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a Labrador retriever named Jet really can fly. The 65-pound dog survived a six story leap from a Tampa airport parking garage and lived.

Police and Jet's owners and vet say the 2-year old dog accidentally leaped over a parking garage railing on New Year's Eve and walked away from the landing - 60 to 80 feet below.

Jet spent the night at a vet's office with a collapsed lung and some cuts and bruises. But by the next day, the dog was getting antsy again.

His owners are Clayton and Jessica Tieman of Largo. They named Jet for the sheen of his black fur, not for any flying abilities. They say their next dog will get a more earthly name, perhaps Scooter.

-=-=-=-=-

Turtle Swims From Indonesia to Oregon
    Feb 8, 6:12 PM (ET)

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - A leatherback turtle has been tracked swimming from the coast of the Papua province in Indonesia to Oregon, researchers said, in what may be the longest trip for marine vertebrae between breeding and feeding sites.

"This is an animal perfectly suited for doing this kind of journey," said Scott Benson, research fishery biologist for the U.S. National Marine Fisheries Service, who helped track the turtle and presented details of the journey at a sea turtle symposium last month.

The longest distance of nine turtles tagged in 2003, Benson said, was the leatherback that reached Oregon and then headed to Hawaii before the battery on the satellite transmitter gave out. The 12,774-mile journey took 647 days, he said.

13. Dynamo1

v v v Let's do the chicken dance. v v v

50 Chickens Found Loose in Philly School
    Feb 11, 4:39 PM (ET)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Monday mornings are hard enough. Imagine finding 50 chickens running loose in your high school. Workers arriving about 5:30 a.m. to open Northeast High School in Philadelphia found dozens of hens and roosters wandering around the hallways. The birds were apparently brought to the school sometime over the weekend, said school district spokesman Fernando Gallard.

"We don't know where the chickens came from or who they belong to," Gallard said. "I'm pretty sure there is a very upset poultry farmer somewhere who wants them back."

The floors were covered with droppings and chicken feed. Most of the school's 3,600 students were sent home for the day because the school required extensive cleanup, he said.

A farmer was called to round up the birds and bring them to Fox Chase Farm, the district's agricultural school, Gallard said.

Police are checking surveillance tapes to see if they can determine the perpetrator of the fowl prank. The culprit will have to pay a hefty fine, said Gallard.

"It's not going to be chicken scratch," he said.

-=-=-=-=-

Alleged Speeder Never Makes It Court
    Feb 11, 6:05 PM (ET)

BAKER CITY, Ore. (AP) - An Oregon man who was speeding through Baker County at 130 miles per hour to get to court in Portland didn't make it on time.

Oregon State Police forced Bladimir Abarca, a 22-year-old from Tualatin, to make a detour to the Baker County Jail. Troopers stopped Abarca in his black 2000 Ford Mustang about six miles north of Baker City. He was jailed and released on bail.

His brother-in-law and passenger, Matthew Noriega, a 23-year-old from New Mexico was cited on a charge of possession of less than an ounce of marijuana.

14. Calihan

Calihan Captain

A Charleston radio station is observing Valentine's Day with a reminder that Cupid sometimes misses his mark.

WKLC-FM, better known as Rock 105, is giving away a free divorce.

Valentine's Day isn't all hearts and flowers, says WKLC Program Director Jay Nunley. There is a darker side, he said, "where maybe you despise your spouse and resent the entire day."

Through 4 p.m. on Thursday, Valentine's Day, applications for the free divorce will be accepted on the classic rock station's Web site, http://www.wklc.com. The winning name will be drawn at 5 p.m.

Nunley cautions that this is a real divorce and people shouldn't enter if they aren't serious. Also, people expecting a long, drawn-out legal battle should hire a lawyer because the Rock 105 contest is for a relatively uncomplicated divorce.

Charleston attorney Rusty Webb will handle the actual filing.

"Sure we can give away concert tickets, and we do," said Nunley. "That's going to make you happy for a little while. This is the chance to make someone happy for the rest of their life."

(This version CORRECTS SUBS overline to correct that radio station is in W.Va.)

15. Desertwind

MUMMIFIED BODY FOUND IN APARTMENT'S BATHTUB

Phoenix, Az. A dried and decomposing body was found in a bathtub filled with dirt in a Phoenix apartment that was stacked to the ceiling with garbage and human waste. Owners of the small, stand alone unit thought it had been abandoned in August, when they stopped receiving rent payments. Phoenix police Sgt. Joel Tranter said Monday. Tranter said the owners did not decide to do anything about the filthy apartment until last week, when the paid the other tenants in the complex to clean it out. When they made their way to the bathroom Friday, they found the bathtub covered with plywood, a sheet and plastic and filled with dirt. When they started shoveling the dirt out, they found, first a leg of a body, stopped and called the police. Tranter said the body might be that of a man who rented the unit in 1995 and was last seen 7 years ago. He said the property owners saw a man they didn't recognize at the unit 4 years ago. Tranter said the man indentified himself as the original renter, and the owners continued to recieve rent checks. That man hasn't been seen since last August :eek: I smell a rat, HMM, or a dead body!

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.